You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Do I need to get new skates?  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Clau30

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Do I need to get new skates?
« on: August 11, 2015, 10:46:22 AM »
Hi there!

I'm a 30 year old and I've just begin with this beautiful sport. I have always like figure skating but I have never had the opportunity to practice it, now that I can pay for my own coaching, ice time and all that figure skating carries, I just love it!

I started on march of 2015 and bought some used SP Teri's, but for what I have been reading, they appear to me that they are broken in, how does this affect to your skating? I just don't know.  ???

I hope you can tell me if I need to get new skates or maybe I can just stay with my SP Teri's for a while, I'm not doing doubles or triples, I've just started learning singles and all that.

Here are some pics for you to tell me,

Thanks for the help! 

:D

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Do I need to get new skates?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 02:39:49 PM »
Broken in is good.

Yours are broken down.  :)

If your your feet are adequately supported - i.e., when you glide, you feel like the boots hold your ankles up, and that you are able to control the orientation of the blade when it is on the ice - they may be sufficient at first. Eventually, as you get into fine edge control (possibly, after skating 10 - 30 times, with lessons), I think they could slow down your progress.

Though maybe other people here would disagree? After all, many rental skates are no better.

An equally important question is how they fit your feet - they should be snugly comfortable. If, when they are tied tight, your feet move around inside the boot as you move, or if they hurt, typical figure skaters would say the fit isn't good, and that fit either interferes with your skating, or can cause medical problems.

Your pictures don't let us see whether the blades are worn out. Also (though pictures won't let us see this), a proper sharpening, so that your blades doesn't slip sideways if you push or pull sideways on them, and the two sides of each blade feel evenly symmetric, is important.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 04:12:31 PM »
You need new skates.

At least you know the brand and size that will fit you.

When you get new ones they will be much, much stiffer than the ones you have now. They may even hurt.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 07:25:24 PM »
I think if you are jumping you should have better ankle support.  Most likely will need a stiffer boot.  Recommend going a good skate fitter if you have the option.

Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline Clau30

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 10:21:28 AM »
Thank you so much for your help!
I will definitely go to my skate fitter for new skates!
I love my SP Teri's but everyone seems to love Jackson's, so I will give them a try too!
Thanks again for your help!

:D

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 06:14:09 PM »
Definitely try them if loving a boot means a lot and not all boots are right for all people so make sure you go by how you feel, rather than what so many others like.  Of course your new boots may not be as comfy right off since they will be stiffer....
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle