You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Am I crossing the line?  (Read 2872 times)

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
Am I crossing the line?
« on: May 26, 2015, 01:12:18 PM »
So here is the deal, last season my program was changed three or four times during the course of the season and ended up feeling like it was complete patchwork without any emotion and simply setting up for jump passes, which ended up in me hating it and not wanting to skate it any more, despite loving my music.  This season I DON'T want this to happen again, even if I level. I've already mentioned this to one of my coaches and I made the suggestion that we make my program more advance so that I can level and just keep the same program when I do rather than changing it a million of time. However, I don't really feel like my coaches are really putting the amount of focus on my program that I would like, and I think this comes from being the only "Adult" in the group.  I feel like they spent a lot more time putting together the programs of other skaters together, while my program is always left for last and as the Belgian's say made "between the soup and the potatoes".

This year I am trying to push a bit more but I still get the feeling that my program is getting ignored. While I am an "adult" I always look for input from my mother artistically because she has a great eye for it, and we have come to the conclusion that we don't really like any of the team's programs.... and that I really would like to have another coach, a friend of my primary coach, make my program.

Do you guys think that this is crossing the line? I can't really completely switch to the other coach because he lives in Spain, but I can manage to spend a few weeks with him this summer and I think it would be good to have him make my program. Also, how would you guys suggest bringing the subject up with my primary coach? I don't want to offend her.
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Re: Am I crossing the line?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 01:35:20 PM »
I completely understand what you're saying about your program last season. I've had the same happen to me this season and I'm still trying to work out how (and when) to bring this up with my coach. I like the idea of having the program choreographed elsewhere and then having a the regular work on the technical aspects (and possibly the minor mods needed when you find things awkward /out grow them).

Are you planning to stay in Spain while the program is choreographed?
If you are, perhaps you can ask your primary coach if you could have some lessons down there? That way you're not going behind his back.
Perhaps suggesting the program choreography by saying that you'd rather not have your jump technique focussed on by someone different (stroke the primary coach's ego) but it would be something that you could feel you've learnt something new while you're away.

I'm not sure I'd want to fly up and down to Spain while getting a program choreographed, but going down for 3 or 4 days should be enough to work out a program (if you're a fast study), even if you can't skate it properly after that time.

Offline PhysicsOnIce

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 01:59:41 PM »
I am planning on going to Jaca, Spain for a two week camp with the Coach Ig, but I am not sure that during the camp there will be time to work on a new program. However, Coach Ig just put his personal schedule online to let all his students know when he is available and where in the world he will be. I noticed that in his schedule he is going to be in Madrid for at least two to three weeks and I am lucky enough to have lots of friends and family in Madrid which would make staying to work with him a week or so on the program possible. So, yeah that plan would be to go to Spain and stay there while the program is choreographed and laid in place.

Modified after speaking to Coach:
I could not hold it in anymore, I went ahead and simply asked my Coach M if she would be okay with it. She not only gave me a yes but a very enthusiastic yes, so things are rolling and instead of me going to  Coach Ig  it looks like he might come to us!

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
Am I crossing the line?
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 08:06:04 PM »
Wow, what a great outcome! I hope you end up with a program you love!

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 12:20:50 AM »
I'm so pleased for you. I hope when he comes that you're still not last in the line (but if you are, you can have a nice holiday to Spain!).

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 02:00:50 PM »
Make sure you have someone take video of your choreography when you are in Spain, so you can show it to your coach at home and also so you don't forget the details of it.  Or at least take video of the choreographer doing the movements so you can watch it later and make sure you get the details right.  I have found this extremely helpful! :)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 02:46:28 PM »
Modified after speaking to Coach:
I could not hold it in anymore, I went ahead and simply asked my Coach M if she would be okay with it. She not only gave me a yes but a very enthusiastic yes, so things are rolling and instead of me going to  Coach Ig  it looks like he might come to us!

That is great news!  I wanted to reply yesterday but I was on my phone and didn't want to type it all out on there, but how you did this was basically exactly how I was going to suggest it - especially since these two coaches are friends.  There is nothing wrong with being direct like this, and MOST coaches don't seem to have a problem with a student approaching them with a "hey, would it be okay if work with ____ on ____?"  Most good coaches know their own limitations, and while they may be able to 'make do' well enough in all areas, if a student wants more, and has someone in mind to work with, a lot of coaches are usually thrilled that the student takes initiative, because it's really not a bad thing - long-term, it's going to keep both of you happy and help build your relationship and communication, not the other way around :)

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 08:06:21 PM »
So great you put it all out there and had the result you wanted!!
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline PhysicsOnIce

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 04:37:50 AM »
Make sure you have someone take video of your choreography when you are in Spain, so you can show it to your coach at home and also so you don't forget the details of it.  Or at least take video of the choreographer doing the movements so you can watch it later and make sure you get the details right.  I have found this extremely helpful! :)

I never even thought about this! This is awesome advice! I'll definitively do that.

That is great news!  I wanted to reply yesterday but I was on my phone and didn't want to type it all out on there, but how you did this was basically exactly how I was going to suggest it - especially since these two coaches are friends.  There is nothing wrong with being direct like this, and MOST coaches don't seem to have a problem with a student approaching them with a "hey, would it be okay if work with ____ on ____?"  Most good coaches know their own limitations, and while they may be able to 'make do' well enough in all areas, if a student wants more, and has someone in mind to work with, a lot of coaches are usually thrilled that the student takes initiative, because it's really not a bad thing - long-term, it's going to keep both of you happy and help build your relationship and communication, not the other way around :)

I guess I was a bit afraid of asking her at first mainly because Coach M can be a overly dramatic sometimes. I love her dearly, but if she is stressed she can be a ticking time bomb and I did not want to have explode on me now and at the moment there is a lot of background stress. I guess that is one of the many reasons why we work with a coaching team. I do think that the reason why she said yes is because she does not like to make programs. She mentioned that directly last season, so I think if things work out the way I envision them Coach Ig will be making all my programs from now on.