You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Pink Suede Skates  (Read 4420 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Pink Suede Skates
« on: January 01, 2017, 06:28:27 PM »
These are beautiful
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harlick-Dance-Ice-Skates-with-MK-Dance-Blades/172463047705?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38530%26meid%3D725d54cc802b416b986d23665b1665bd%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D381899530588

I think they belonged to Tai Babilonia, because I saw these for sale a few years ago for $10K with her name attached.

Worth a look to see how beautiful high level performance skates can be.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Pink Suede Skates
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 11:55:44 AM »
I do remember that Tai Babalonia was trying to sell a pair of boots like this -

I doubt if they are her skates though because they have dance blades on them -

Anyone can order the suede and the colors - a lot of the pros at our rinks get them just because it's fun and they get a "coaches discount" from Harlick that I believe is very good - even with all of the extra stuff

I do wonder though when people try to sell used boots - maybe even customs - for $600 no matter how much they paid for them!  Good luck to them.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Pink Suede Skates
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 08:10:17 PM »
I do wonder though when people try to sell used boots - maybe even customs - for $600 no matter how much they paid for them!

As a general rule, used skate and boots are worth less - but if the MK Dance Blades weren't messed up by a bad sharpener, and they aren't warped they sell new for $500 list price, and about $465+shipping from discount stores. One could ask the seller which skate tech did the initial sharpening, and if is someone reputable, they might be worth close to that. Also, as of this writing, there are no bids yet - which means the seller might accept an offer for less.

If they are custom boots (which was not stated - the statement that they are for people with wide toes and narrow heels is somewhat true of generic stock Harlicks), that likely just means they will probably fit fewer people than a stock boot would. The way I see it, for the most part, customs are not inherently better than stock boots, unless they are customized to YOUR body.

There may be some exceptions. At a fund raiser run by the Weiss family for their foundation, Michael Weiss's sister (one of his sisters??) told me that his boots had been very expensive (I think she said about $5000) because they used high quality materials and construction, presumably to cut weight or increase sturdiness? (I don't know if she was right.) I suppose it is possible that other high end skaters have had their boots customized in similar ways.

(It is always possible the blade shapes were customized too, by the skate tech - the seller might know - or refer you to the skate tech, who might know.)

If I wanted this type of boot and blade, and I lived near the seller (listed as Plano, Texas), I might be inclined to ask if I could take a look, and then maybe make an offer...