You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Pilates for Figure Skaters  (Read 4577 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Pilates for Figure Skaters
« on: February 21, 2011, 11:45:39 AM »
Pilates classes (and videos) are often offered for figure skaters.  I found this video online that is simple and well-taught, although it's really short.

http://www.ehow.com/video_7368990_pilates-exercises-ice-skaters.html
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Pilates for Figure Skaters
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 11:47:08 AM »
Additional clips here for the DVD "Pilates for Figure Skaters"
http://skatetape.com/pilatesonice-dvd.aspx

Any reviews?
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 03:38:52 AM »
Can anyone actually recommend any DVDs they find helpful for pilates? I'd imagine that you don't really need a figure skating specific one as I'd think that a lot of exercises were the same.
I really enjoy my pilates lessons with the instructor, but don't remember to do the exercises on my own at home and was wondering whether a DVD would help me practice on my own.

Offline lindafmb

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Total GOE: 8
    • Fit Mind-Body Conditioning YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 11:57:52 AM »
For pilates, my top recommendation would be anything by Brooke Siler. She's based in NYC but she has several books and videos, and is considered one of the best and most reputable pilates instructors in the fitness industry. I took from her decades ago, when I was first learning about pilates, and I still consider her the top living authority on this form of exercise.

The pilates-on-ice video that's also referenced in this thread was actually created by a friend of mine. She was one of the pilates instructors who taught classes for my club, the Lakewood Winter Club, in Tacoma, WA. It features several of the club's skaters as well, although it was shot several years ago and most of the kids are adults now.  :) That pilates instructor's name is Rebecca Leone and she is based out of Seattle, WA. She teaches a very traditional style of pilates and was trained by Romana herself, the guru handpicked by Joseph Pilates to carry out the legacy of his work. If you are in the Seattle area and want to train with her, or if you're interested in her video, it's available here: http://www.ppnwseattle.com/

HTH,
Linda