You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Help Save Our Ice!  (Read 24566 times)

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Help Save Our Ice!
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2014, 04:25:00 PM »
Our change.org petition is now up so if anyone wants to sign it and circulate it amongst their friends - skating or otherwise, facebook or otherwise, that would be DIVINE!

http://www.change.org/p/cypress-equities-save-our-ice-don-t-shrink-the-rink

Thank you!

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2014, 06:42:39 PM »
Signed!
Bill Schneider

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2014, 12:04:32 PM »
BTW, that is one beautiful rink as shown on the petition page. (Where's the ENVY smiley when you need it!)

It really would be a shame to see that space go.
Bill Schneider

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2014, 12:12:14 PM »
Bill - thank you for showing that photo!!

I have given you some MAJOR GOE for you support and for posting this photograph.

We hope to get a mock-up photograph soon of what the rink would look like with the changes - maybe even photoshop people trying to skate there....

It is a lovely rink - I didn't like it when I first moved to Portland because it is smaller than NHL size and much warmer - now I am used to it and love it - also had trouble because people are always watching you - BUT our kids get so used to people watched them that I think they are more comfortable skating at competitions where there is an audience - they are used to playing to an audience!!

Offline rachelplotkin

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2014, 01:30:50 PM »
Signed and posted link to my FB page.  Here's hoping your efforts will be successful.

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2014, 08:09:17 PM »
I signed the petition of Change.Org.  Good luck!
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2014, 10:31:02 PM »
Thank you!

Some of us spoke with a reporter from our local paper, the Oregonian, last week - this article appeared in their online version last Friday and in print today - front page - above the fold!!

Here is a link to the online version.  The print version has better photographs and headline but is not available online except for subscribers.  Unfortunately, Monday is a day that people with home-delivery don't receive a paper, but you can still buy it at news stands so some people will see it!

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2014/09/lloyd_center_ice_rink_will_be.html

Oh - and we have "Don't Shrink the Rink" T-shirts now - we will be wearing them skating and around town - we hope to get some photographs up on the internet sometime soon.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2014, 11:19:21 PM »
Great article!  Hopefully it'll bring some more attention to the situation.  Good luck!

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2014, 05:09:11 AM »
Petition signed!! and circulating around the Belgian Skating Community.
Our new club skates on a 20m x40m (or there abouts), So we know your pain rather well! Programs don't fit at all and dance patterns are impossible. We've managed to get ice time at another rink on Sundays for two hours, but even that is limited.

Good Luck!
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2014, 11:49:27 AM »
Thank you!

Another online article appeared today - they are really working it!!

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2014/09/will_shrinking_the_lloyd_cente.html#incart_related_stories

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2014, 12:24:25 PM »
I noticed one of the photos (of the zamboni on the ice) said that the new rink would not be maintained by a zamboni. I've never seen a year-round rink that didn't use one, and now I'm curious how they would maintain the ice surface?

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2014, 02:48:35 PM »
I hadn't noticed that! Your guess is as good as mine, LOL

Hoping it's a typo.  With a smaller rink they will need to get a new, smaller zamboni.  I have seen that.

Otherwise yeah, what are they going to do, pour water on it every week or so?   :nvm:

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2014, 03:03:49 PM »
I hadn't noticed that! Your guess is as good as mine, LOL

Hoping it's a typo.  With a smaller rink they will need to get a new, smaller zamboni.  I have seen that.

Otherwise yeah, what are they going to do, pour water on it every week or so?   :nvm:

Don't laugh.  When I was doing study abroad in Townsville, Australia, there was a rink.  The teeniniest little rink I have ever seen.  I couldn't even begin to guess it's size, but barely big enough to set up a lutz.  But this was Northern Queensland- tropical, and it was probably the only ice in several 100's of K's.   As I recall there was some sort of hockey there, too.

It was too small to zam, and square shaped, iir.  So periodically they'd scrape it off by hand.  I don't know if they'd hose it down or not, but I imagine so.  I was never present for this process (just there to help out teaching group lessons). By normal standards, the ice was a disaster, but considering the circumstances, it wasn't bad.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2014, 04:22:25 PM »
I noticed one of the photos (of the zamboni on the ice) said that the new rink would not be maintained by a zamboni. I've never seen a year-round rink that didn't use one, and now I'm curious how they would maintain the ice surface?

Zamboni is a brand name. They may mean they'll get an ice resurfacer from another company.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2014, 08:50:29 PM »

Zamboni is a brand name. They may mean they'll get an ice resurfacer from another company.

I hope so. It's a strange thing to say though, if that's what they meant. I mean, why does the general public care whether it's Zamboni brand or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2014, 09:06:37 PM »
I hope so. It's a strange thing to say though, if that's what they meant. I mean, why does the general public care whether it's Zamboni brand or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The word Zamboni is like saying "Kleenex" - yes it is a brand but we call all tissues Kleenex.  I have only known a few people who call a zamboni by another name...

I will try to find out.  I hope it is not like Loops suggested - that they would shovel it off once in a while and then use squeegees or something like in the old days... but honestly I would not be surprised.

I still think it was a typo, or incomplete thought - like, "This Zamboni will be too big for the new, tiny ice".

Good catch though!

Offline Loops

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2014, 03:44:15 AM »

I will try to find out.  I hope it is not like Loops suggested - that they would shovel it off once in a while and then use squeegees or something like in the old days... but honestly I would not be surprised.

I suspect you are correct and they're planning on a smaller Zam.  There's no technological reason to squeegee anymore.

But if you think it might be fruitful and the rink managers are still staying out of it, you might want to casually mention this to them if you can find a good chatty context.  Plant the idea in their head....because if it comes to it, who do you think is at risk for the squeegee-ing job?  hint: Not you......

Might help motivate them.....

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2014, 11:41:17 AM »
I suspect you are correct and they're planning on a smaller Zam.  There's no technological reason to squeegee anymore.

But if you think it might be fruitful and the rink managers are still staying out of it, you might want to casually mention this to them if you can find a good chatty context.  Plant the idea in their head....because if it comes to it, who do you think is at risk for the squeegee-ing job?  hint: Not you......

Might help motivate them.....

Hee-hee - you know this is exactly what I would do!!  You and I are definitely on the same page here.

I will see what can happen.  Thanks.

I think the "Zamboni" in question is actually an "Olympia" or something like that - may be an electric zam.

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2014, 12:51:11 PM »
Hee-hee - you know this is exactly what I would do!!  You and I are definitely on the same page here.

I will see what can happen.  Thanks.

I think the "Zamboni" in question is actually an "Olympia" or something like that - may be an electric zam.

Apropos of nothing, I'm surprised that someone hasn't introduced an automated ice resurfacer.  There are vacuum cleaners and lawn mowers that can do similar tasks without a human at the controls.

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2014, 12:59:58 PM »
Apropos of nothing, I'm surprised that someone hasn't introduced an automated ice resurfacer.  There are vacuum cleaners and lawn mowers that can do similar tasks without a human at the controls.

Apparently I have nothing better to do than read about ice resurfacing today. Here's one discussion of exactly this question! http://www.geek.com/news/why-hasnt-frank-zambonis-invention-been-replaced-by-ice-roombas-1536239/

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2014, 01:12:40 PM »
I love the idea of an automated resurfacer. The linked-to discussion suggests that a human adapts to ice conditions better - but that could be dealt with by sensors, just like some high tech tractors now have sophisticated sensing equipment to decide how much fertilizer, of what types, is needed on different spots of soil.

But the obvious problem would come if some kid is slow to get off the ice, and gets run over by the robot. Plus, at some rinks, some of the kids and adults already skate fast around the machine doing the ice (one of my ex-coaches liked to conduct lessons then, on the relatively uncrowded ice) - and the robot wouldn't be able to yell at them with sufficient authority to stay off.

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2014, 02:41:33 PM »
I love the idea of an automated resurfacer. The linked-to discussion suggests that a human adapts to ice conditions better - but that could be dealt with by sensors, just like some high tech tractors now have sophisticated sensing equipment to decide how much fertilizer, of what types, is needed on different spots of soil.

But the obvious problem would come if some kid is slow to get off the ice, and gets run over by the robot. Plus, at some rinks, some of the kids and adults already skate fast around the machine doing the ice (one of my ex-coaches liked to conduct lessons then, on the relatively uncrowded ice) - and the robot wouldn't be able to yell at them with sufficient authority to stay off.

You could always have the ice monitors "gently" insure everyone was off the ice and then electronically close/lock all the doors once the robotic gizmo was out on the sheet.  An extra touch would be to electrify the access doors, like electric cattle fencing, to keep overachievers off the ice until resurfacing was complete.  Additional drone technology like heat sensors could be incorporated into the robot permitting it to seek out any, um, "stragglers".  Ve haff vays to make you cooperate...

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2014, 09:02:04 PM »
If people e-sign the petition who don't live in the area, and rink management does due diligence, to try to check that out - as they reasonably should - it could be counterproductive.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2014, 01:23:54 AM »
If people e-sign the petition who don't live in the area, and rink management does due diligence, to try to check that out - as they reasonably should - it could be counterproductive.

I don't see where that matters - people are pretty passionate about this issue whether they are skaters or people who have passed through and loved Portland and have seen the rink, or if they skate in similar situations like a group in Belgium who skate on a small rink and have an opinion about it. 

Offline Loops

« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2014, 03:26:21 AM »
You could always have the ice monitors "gently" insure everyone was off the ice and then electronically close/lock all the doors once the robotic gizmo was out on the sheet.  An extra touch would be to electrify the access doors, like electric cattle fencing, to keep overachievers off the ice until resurfacing was complete.  Additional drone technology like heat sensors could be incorporated into the robot permitting it to seek out any, um, "stragglers".  Ve haff vays to make you cooperate...

Teeheehee!  Needed the chuckle- thanks Lutefisk!