You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Difficult Variations in Spins  (Read 2393 times)

Offline Sk8ing Wizard

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 2
Difficult Variations in Spins
« on: August 09, 2011, 05:23:58 PM »
Hi, people of the infinitely knowledgable skatingforums! I had a couple quick questions regarding spin variations, in the sit spin. I know there are 3 types-sit forward, sit sideays, and sit behind. And I know you can't do, say, 2 sit behind positions in one spin and get 2 features, or do a forward clam in two seperate spins and get the feature both times. But that's bout the extent of my knowledge...

1. What if it's 2 seperate sit forward positions but in different spins? Will both of those be counted for a feature?
2. What are some examples of a sit-sideays position?

Sorry for all the questions, but we're competing in our first ever IJS event soon, and we want at least one level 3 out there.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Difficult Variations in Spins
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 06:25:38 PM »
Check out the discussion in Parents and Coaches about this.  There is a lot of info.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 09:27:59 PM »
1. What if it's 2 seperate sit forward positions but in different spins? Will both of those be counted for a feature?
2. What are some examples of a sit-sideays position?

Sorry for all the questions, but we're competing in our first ever IJS event soon, and we want at least one level 3 out there.
Did you discuss with the coach?  The coach needs to be conversant in IJS if they are going to teach at that level.  Yeah, there's a ton of confusion with the annual rule shakeups, but in general, the coach should have an idea.

Are the forward sit positions in different "codes" like CCoSp and SSp or CSSp or FSp or are you doing two spins that would be coded SSp?

What do you mean by "sit sideways"?  You mean broken leg sit?

Offline Sk8ing Wizard

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 09:48:18 PM »
One is a flying sit that Im using for my solo spin, and one is a combo spin (camel-sit-back sit, and were looking for the variations)

Yes, my coach knows and I could ask him, but its a little while until I see him next, so I thought it would be nice to have some idea myself of whats goin on. Most of his skaters are at Novice, so he knows what hes talking about.

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 11:58:18 PM »
Did you discuss with the coach?  The coach needs to be conversant in IJS if they are going to teach at that level.  Yeah, there's a ton of confusion with the annual rule shakeups, but in general, the coach should have an idea.

Are the forward sit positions in different "codes" like CCoSp and SSp or CSSp or FSp or are you doing two spins that would be coded SSp?

What do you mean by "sit sideways"?  You mean broken leg sit?
In an ideal world, that would be nice.Just know that the world isnt ideal, and all coaches dont know IJS.Even really really really good coaches use a TS  to help with getting the most points/ and rules. That is why parents AND skaters need to know basic IJS.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 06:33:56 PM »
Yes, a skater should understand the rules, but the coach should have an IDEA of what is getting called and what isn't (although with the annual rule shake ups, there's been a lot of confusion this summer).  The coach should also have a general thought about what will work for the skater (my coach knows that a donut spin is right out for me at this time; can't get the foot in a timely manner close enough to my head and requires off ice to improve that) and guide the skater in the right direction of what to start working on for features so that they aren't wasting time on something that a) won't be counted as a feature and b) isn't doable for the skater. 

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 11:06:31 PM »
Yes, a skater should understand the rules, but the coach should have an IDEA of what is getting called and what isn't (although with the annual rule shake ups, there's been a lot of confusion this summer).  The coach should also have a general thought about what will work for the skater (my coach knows that a donut spin is right out for me at this time; can't get the foot in a timely manner close enough to my head and requires off ice to improve that) and guide the skater in the right direction of what to start working on for features so that they aren't wasting time on something that a) won't be counted as a feature and b) isn't doable for the skater. 
I agree with you they should. But I dont think Im alone in the fact our coaches dont and we have no where to go to.Do the best we can or stop my kids from skating.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 09:14:38 PM »
Perhaps your coaching team should bring another coach who is really conversant with IJS in to work with all their skaters together on IJS spins/step.  I know the coaches around here all know their rules and run ideas past one of the coaches who IS a current Regional level TS if they are unsure or if their student gets a lower level and they don't know why.