You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Eclipse Crescent Blades for Axels?  (Read 3281 times)

Offline RosiePosie.iskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 37
Eclipse Crescent Blades for Axels?
« on: January 27, 2013, 08:40:42 PM »
My sister just got new skates. She got the Riedell 910LS and the Eclipse Crescent Blade. The blade is where I'm a bit shaky..... She's still working on her technique with her lutz, and is starting to work on her axel. As for spins she's working on Back-camels, laybacks, etc. She's testing Preliminary MIF. SO: I guess my question is, is the Eclipse Crescent blade a little under-level for her? Even if it's not right now, how long should she stay with it until she needs a blade upgrade? I was thinking that she should've gotten the Eclipse Volant blade. But, our Skate Pro at the rink (he's the best in our state) seemed to think Crescent was fine. The thing is, I see kids who are just learning back spin and toe loop skating on Eclipse Mist, and my sisters a bit higher level than that, but her blade is not. I have Ecplise Mists and I'm working on Double Jumps. I'm not really a pro at this, so any input is appreciated. Money is tight so i'd be nice to be able to plan big expenses as far ahead as possible.  :)
Don't practice it until you don't do it wrong, practice until you can't do it wrong.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 189
Re: Eclipse Crescent Blades for Axels?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 09:02:04 PM »
I think the Eclipse Cresent is equivalent to an MK Double Star, based on the description from Reidell.  A skater working on lutz and axel would do well on the Eclipse Mist, which is the equivalent of an MK Professional blade.  A Mist is good through double jumps, so I think she's been "under bladed," IMO.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 09:28:48 PM »
  A Mist is good through double jumps, so I think she's been "under bladed," IMO.

That's what I was thinking... :( The thing is, we just bought them, and there are NO returns. I know there is a 30 day trial period on the Eclipse blades, but the problem would be that I would have to buy whole new boots as well. The soles of the 910s aren't ones where you can remount different blades on them. :-[ We don't really have the money for that right now, so we're going to have to do the best to cope with what we've got.

Do you think the Crescent's hold her back substantially? I'd hate to think that i spent almost $400 on skates that will hurt her skill-wise.  :-\
Don't practice it until you don't do it wrong, practice until you can't do it wrong.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 09:38:23 PM »
No - I don't think the blades will hold her back.  My daughter learned axel on the quest blade. 

I'm pretty sure the 910 can have the blades changed since you can buy them without the blades.  Aren't they the standard soles and not plastic?

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 09:47:58 PM »
Yes, I started landing Axels on Quest Onyx's too! :)
The 910's don't have a PVC sole, but they aren't quite what the 43ts are made out of either. I'm not sure what it's made out of. All I know is it doesn't require waterproofing. We only put half the screws in the blades at first. That's all that's in there currently, so perhaps we could get new blades and screw in the screws where we didn't with these.  We'll figure something out once our bank account gets back in the green.  ???

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 09:49:26 PM »
I know the feeling of blade and boot doubts, but sounds like she is still growing she, she will be lucky to get a year out of them and then she can always upgrade.

I hope she loves her new pretty skates!

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
Thank you guys! Yes, she loves her skates!  ;D She only chooses to skate 2 days a week, and Axel isn't her favorite thing to practice at ALL. Her feet grow like weeds, so all this sounds like perfect set up to me. She'll probably outgrow these skates really SOON and when she does, that's when we'll upgrade! (Should be in less than a year knowing her growth rate)