You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Germany Changes Gymnastics Leotards for 2021 Olympics  (Read 4782 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Germany Changes Gymnastics Leotards for 2021 Olympics
« on: July 23, 2021, 03:06:17 PM »
There has been some debate on social media about gymnastics leotards being "too sexualized."  Germany just announced that their women's gymnastic team will be wearing sleeveless unitards to the 2021 Olympics.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/germany-full-length-unitards-olympics-sexualization-gymnastics-053858764.html

I wonder if this would have an impact on figure skating?  Many coaches and judges don't want to see panties showing underneath skirts while girls or women compete.  Some people advocate for just wearing tights or wearing thong-style underwear.  The costuming rules have been changed several times by the ISU and US Figure Skating over the years with regard to skirts, coverage, etc.

Opinions? Thoughts? 
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
Re: Germany Changes Gymnastics Leotards for 2021 Olympics
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 06:12:35 PM »
Wear what is comfortable. Look at the difference in the mens and ladies beach volleyball uniforms. Why? I definitely would feel rather exposed in the bikinis. If the Germans compete in long unitards, more power to them.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Germany Changes Gymnastics Leotards for 2021 Olympics
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 05:31:42 PM »
OTOH, the Norwegian beach handball team was penalized for not wearing a bikini in the Euro 2021 tournament.

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/21/1018768633/a-womens-beach-handball-team-is-fined-for-not-wanting-to-wear-bikini-bottoms

According to

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/norwegian-women-s-beach-handball-team-fined-not-playing-bikinis-n1274453

female Olympic volleyball players have much more choice.

Perhaps a movement to more conservative attire was inevitable - female clothing has generally become a little more conservative since I was a kid, though I understand that tends to be cyclic. Also, countries with religiously inspired conservative dress standards have become more influential.

I think everyone should be able to wear what they please, though I understand the desire to have team uniforms.

It would be hard to imagine a competitive Synchro team not having a standard uniform.