You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Competition Sponsors  (Read 3796 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Competition Sponsors
« on: January 06, 2016, 10:02:11 AM »
I was looking at the announcements for US Adult Sectionals and Nationals and thought "Why aren't there sponsors for these events?"  They list all of the US Figure Skating sponsors, which is appropriate but I thought about how standard Nationals is sponsored by Smuckers and had a little argument with myself that went like this:

Why aren't these events sponsored by some company, like Smuckers?
- Smuckers already sponsors std nationals - how much can they do?
- Adult competitions aren't televised.  No TV exposure=no commercials=no sponsors.

Bah!  Companies like Aleve and Johnny Copper are missing out!  Adult events are perfect tie-ins!
- Again, no exposure.
- Could we consider it marketing and good will for the companies?

Do the standard-track skaters pay as much in entry fees as the adult skaters for sects and nats?
- Do the research and find out!

It went on like that until the commercial block during Syfy's Twilight Zone marathon ended and then I lost interest.

Opinions, comments, violent disagreements?
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Re: Competition Sponsors
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 01:16:31 PM »
No sponsors for anything in the UK, but adult nationals costs as much as the standard ones to enter. If anything more because we have to pay for each section of dance competitions when you get pattern/short dance and free dance in one competition at standard nationals.
Much griping has been made.
But the adult synchro team does joke that we ought to be sponsored by someone like Aleve.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 05:57:09 PM »
And GAIAM videos, and Therabands. Not to mention Swarovski crystals and DuPont (creator of Lycra)

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 06:07:19 PM »
And skatingforums.com!   ;)

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 12:37:40 AM »
Veuve Clicquot, Lay-Z-Boy heated massage chairs, Weight Watchers and Godiva Chocolates.

Sending some mixed messages there.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 01:36:11 PM »
I dont know what adult sec cost but regionals and sectionals are 180.00 fee plus 10.00 additional fee . That  doesnt include any ice.

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 03:18:49 PM »
In my experience, local businesses are often solicited to sponsor/donate to the running of competitions by the LOC. In some cases, the club may offer program ad space at no cost in exchange for a donation toward the running of the competition or provide other incentives. Many businesses also donate towards the competitor gift bags or that sort of thing.

Getting a major sponsor (like, a title sponsor) for an event such as ANs would almost certainly have to go through U.S. Figure Skating. It could not be a sponsor that conflicts/competes with any of the major USFS sponsors if it was not one of the major sponsors. Maybe a local business could make a large donation and get some recognition, but that would have to be approved way in advance, and would obviously only apply to the event at that location - the next location may not get the same local support.

The reality is, major sponsors are going to put their name on events that have exposure to a wide cross-section of the general public, and that have the potential to make them more money (for example, by sponsoring an up-and-coming athlete that has the potential to go to the Olympics, which will bring their brand more visibility). With adult skating, that longevity and exposure for a corporate sponsor isn't there. No tv coverage, no ads, no real exposure outside of the adult and/or skating community. That actually means sometimes even local businesses don't want to sponsor or donate to the event, because they don't see the long-term benefit.

Regarding the entry fees, that is actually a highly discussed topic right now since registration is open.

Per the 2016 SWP Regional announcement, entry fees for the kids were $175, plus a $10 admin fee. For singles skaters who qualified for Sectionals, an additional $175 entry fee and $10 admin fee was required. Pairs and dance started at Sectionals, so they did not have the second $175 fee.

This year, at Adult Sectionals, qualifying is $175 plus the $10 fee. If you qualify, you do not pay another entry fee for the qualifying event at ANs. Non-qual at Sectionals is up to the LOC: For example, for Pac Coast it's $135 first event, $100 for each subsequent (plus admin fee for entryeeze entry). For Mids, it's $130 for Non-qual IJS first event, $70 for each subsequent non-qual IJS, and then $100 for first non-qual 6.0 event, $60 after that.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 04:54:08 PM »
In my experience, local businesses are often solicited to sponsor/donate to the running of competitions by the LOC. In some cases, the club may offer program ad space at no cost in exchange for a donation toward the running of the competition or provide other incentives. Many businesses also donate towards the competitor gift bags or that sort of thing.

Okay, how about, local liquor store, local Lay-Z-Boy Store (demo models at the rink for participants), local  store with exercise gear.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 05:49:00 PM »
Local PT facilities.  The local Massage Envy.

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 06:53:14 PM »
Okay, how about, local liquor store, local Lay-Z-Boy Store (demo models at the rink for participants), local  store with exercise gear.

Remember that you are working with a rink. So things like liquor store sponsorships (even though it's for an adult event) may not be allowed. You are also dealing with space issues in most rinks, so vendors have to be relatively self-contained.

I also think there are two different issues - Corporate Sponsorship versus vendors. You certainly could overlap, where a sponsor gets vendor space for free, but each rink is going to have different regulations regarding what types of vendors can come in. If you're talking corporate sponsorship, that is more in name than in product usually.

We tried the local PT/chair massage thing at competitions before - they don't really go over well, at least here.