You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Boot frustration--when did you give up?  (Read 7814 times)

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
Boot frustration--when did you give up?
« on: August 27, 2016, 10:41:19 AM »
The new boots are a PROBLEM.

Part of this is my fault... I told the dealer what I wanted/needed (split width) and let her dismiss me with a "Oh, Jackson always has a wider toe box, you'll be fine." (Nevermind that she didn't actually measure me.) Part of this is also some weird switch where things are no longer A, B, C, D, but rather A/B and C/D. (Banging head against wall.) Not sure what I would have done with that info, but...

So things are not fine. Rather, very crampy and painful. Even after the tech's first round of stretching the toe box and a couple weeks of skating on them. Can't spin at all because apparently I like to spread my toes out when I go up on the rocker for a spin... and there's no room to spread. I pulled the insoles and put in those thin 99 cent ones, but there's no support and I'm still cramping. No luck with superfeet insoles either (too thick). Going back to the tech today to see what can be done.

At what point to you give up? I'm half in the mind to buy a ticket to CA and go visit the folks at Harlick.

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
Re: Boot frustration--when did you give up?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 12:09:50 PM »
Are you in the Premieres? They will do a split width customized order for a $90 up-charge. My daughter has been in Edeas for the last couple of boots and with her recent growth spurt we decided to go back to the Jacksons now that she is bigger, skating stronger and finally has the ability to break in the boots. Bonus for mom, they cost half as much.   :D

We ordered the new Premiere boots (DJ2800) with an AA heel and an E toe box a couple of weeks ago. Just wanted to mention that if you like Jackson, they can still do a customized order even though they have gone to a different sizing for their stock boots. Our previous experience was that Jackson is much faster at shipping them out (3-4 weeks) then traditional custom boots (Dd's Harlicks took 16 weeks - although our order was 'lost' for the first 10 weeks). Good luck to you, that is so frustrating that the dealer pushed stock and didn't take the time to get you what you needed.

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 12:18:15 PM »
Yep, in the Premieres. I had specifically asked about split width, and I think she just didn't want the hassle.

Offline DressmakingMomma

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 01:31:07 PM »
What about contacting Jackson, explaining you had asked specifically about split width and the shop either wasn't aware or didn't want to take the time to provide that option. Maybe they can offer some kind of a solution rather then loosing a customer to a different brand - might be worth the phone call before totally scrapping what you have.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 06:26:48 PM »
The new boots are a PROBLEM.

Part of this is my fault... I told the dealer what I wanted/needed (split width) and let her dismiss me with a "Oh, Jackson always has a wider toe box, you'll be fine." (Nevermind that she didn't actually measure me.) Part of this is also some weird switch where things are no longer A, B, C, D, but rather A/B and C/D. (Banging head against wall.) Not sure what I would have done with that info, but...

So things are not fine. Rather, very crampy and painful. Even after the tech's first round of stretching the toe box and a couple weeks of skating on them. Can't spin at all because apparently I like to spread my toes out when I go up on the rocker for a spin... and there's no room to spread. I pulled the insoles and put in those thin 99 cent ones, but there's no support and I'm still cramping. No luck with superfeet insoles either (too thick). Going back to the tech today to see what can be done.

At what point to you give up? I'm half in the mind to buy a ticket to CA and go visit the folks at Harlick.

I've been in this position before. Here's what I learned from a couple of coaches after a pair of boots that didn't fit. The second time it happened to me I sent email to my tech and complained after 3 days of skating, then (politely) insisted the right boot be rebuilt.

Go back to your tech and be straight about it, that you needed something and they failed to take your needs into consideration and the boots are an incorrect fit, and therfore worthless to you. Be polite but be firm. If they say "Too late," tell them you'll file a complaint in writing with Jacksons. If they still blow you off, post it to Yelp.

Even if the boots are not full customs see if they can be rebuilt. As I learned to my horror, that there's a lot of variance in skates, since effectively all skates are to a degree hand built even if they're stock sizes. Even if it's a 'stock' size it can be sized wrong.

If it's been more than 6 months you're probably out of luck. However, if you don't want to wait for new boots, and you don't want to sell them, there's always "this weird old hint".

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 03:50:25 AM »
"Oh, Jackson always has a wider toe box, you'll be fine."

I don't think that's true. 

Get them stretched again. 

I've had boots that need to be repunched about once a month.  I bought my own punch.

Online tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 07:43:07 AM »
I don't think that's true. 

Get them stretched again. 

I've had boots that need to be repunched about once a month.  I bought my own punch.

Was that for traditional leather boots, or for heat-moldable boots? 

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 07:06:33 PM »
What brand / model where your previous boots and were they a bigger size? Are the new ones the C/D width? What is the tech actually doing? Are they just punching or are they heat molding too? If you try standing on the original insole is it too small for your foot?
If the tech has punched the toe box out again today, and they still don't work after a few sessions then I'd be inclined to give up.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 09:38:40 PM »
 I second the split-width modification. I have a B heel and an EEE ball. It was the best money I've spent on skates.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 04:43:47 AM »
Was that for traditional leather boots, or for heat-moldable boots?

Heat moldable Jacksons.  I often heated them when punching them.  They were not stretched.

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 07:37:07 AM »
What brand / model where your previous boots and were they a bigger size? Are the new ones the C/D width? What is the tech actually doing? Are they just punching or are they heat molding too? If you try standing on the original insole is it too small for your foot?
If the tech has punched the toe box out again today, and they still don't work after a few sessions then I'd be inclined to give up.

I went from a Jackson Premiere 6C to a Jackson Premiere 6 A/B because my heel kept slipping in the C. I wanted to do a B heel with a C ball. I've now had the toe box stretched twice, and I've thrown them in the oven on my own a few times.

I think they might be getting a little better. The second stretch helped, but I'm still cramping a bit. Might need to punch a few places, but I'll give it another week before I go there.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 07:41:03 PM »
Cramps are really, really bad signs, that you shouldn't be using these boots. I'm no doctor, but you could be talking significant future health problems.

A skate shop (or skate tech) that doesn't measure when ordering boots isn't worth dealing with.

The sooner you talk to Jackson, without letting the shop get in the way, the more likely they are to help you. I suggest you do it now. It may already be too late, but waiting more, or getting more things done to your boots, will make Jackson less likely to help. At the least, you should let Jackson know the shop is no good, and is unfit to sell their boots.

As an alternative, perhaps Jackson can give you the name of a more competent skate tech within a day's drive, who knows what they are doing?

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 10:03:49 PM »
I went from a Jackson Premiere 6C to a Jackson Premiere 6 A/B because my heel kept slipping in the C. I wanted to do a B heel with a C ball. I've now had the toe box stretched twice, and I've thrown them in the oven on my own a few times.

I think they might be getting a little better. The second stretch helped, but I'm still cramping a bit. Might need to punch a few places, but I'll give it another week before I go there.

So, apart from the heel slipping the 6Cs were OK? You had sufficient room in the toe box etc.?
It does seem really strange that the tech wasn't willing to order a split width for you, especially as it wasn't like it was a speculative order - if the 6Cs were good in every way except the heel area then making that work would be a win-win.

What's the tech's opinion? Are they thinking that a bit of stretching and everything will work?

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 05:52:19 PM »
So, apart from the heel slipping the 6Cs were OK? You had sufficient room in the toe box etc.?
It does seem really strange that the tech wasn't willing to order a split width for you, especially as it wasn't like it was a speculative order - if the 6Cs were good in every way except the heel area then making that work would be a win-win.

What's the tech's opinion? Are they thinking that a bit of stretching and everything will work?

At this point, I think the tech really doesn't care. A second stretch was done which helped some. They're still not really working out at this point, but maybe they need more break in time to settle everything around the ankle.  The 6C was great except the heel. The problem here is the tech's spouse is the one that "sizes" and orders the boots, so I'm really not sure what her skill level is here. Ugh.

Regionals is being held locally, so I'm going to check out which boot vendors will be there. It may just be time to go custom. Otherwise, I'm moving in a month, and will see what options I have there.

Offline Loops

• Total GOE: 112
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 12:25:10 AM »
Ugh. Sorry to hear about all this. I would still email or preferably call Jackson. They may have some suggestions, if not a solution. Give them a chance to help you out....and let them know your experiences with this shops fitting. They can't have happy customers if their POS people aren't competent....

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2016, 12:42:19 AM »
Interesting discussion with a friend that's a coach... The plot thickens. Apparently I'm not the only one having problems. She actually pulled her students from using these folks because they weren't bothering to fit folks properly (or at all, really). Clearly a bigger issue here than just my own problem. Ugh.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2016, 06:23:34 PM »
Interesting discussion with a friend that's a coach... The plot thickens. Apparently I'm not the only one having problems. She actually pulled her students from using these folks because they weren't bothering to fit folks properly (or at all, really). Clearly a bigger issue here than just my own problem. Ugh.

Yeah, I am now going to modify my original suggestion--go straight to Jackson with the whole story.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2016, 08:02:17 PM »
Last ditch effort Part A: Went to a different fitter/tech that came highly recommended by one of our adult skaters (gold level) that had boot drama. Saw another adult skater I usually compete against up there when I went in. Basically it was "You're not a narrow. I don't know why they did this." Per measurements, I'm a EE ball with an A heel, but I'm comfy in the (slightly snug) C ball. Also low arches, much probation on the left, and a high instep. Fabulous. Heat molding done. Punching in the arch done. Pretty much an effort to make it work until I lose a little more weight and I go custom.

Better, but not good enough. Still cramping, still unstable.

Last ditch effort Part B: Contacted Jackson. They requested many pics: insoles, soles, feet in boots from top, feet in boots from sides. Waiting for options and further discussion.

Threw blades back on old boots (just a temp mount) to see how I skate in them tonight. Sigh.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2016, 08:32:18 PM »
It's probably worth taking both pairs of boots along to Regionals if the Jackson rep will be there so you can actually show them what the problem is.

Do you know if the other people who experienced problems have reported them?

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2016, 08:38:56 PM »
It's probably worth taking both pairs of boots along to Regionals if the Jackson rep will be there so you can actually show them what the problem is.

Do you know if the other people who experienced problems have reported them?

They haven't. The Jackson rep hasn't had any complaints/issues since 2008. I think others just drifted off without a fight.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2016, 09:36:25 PM »
Okay, here's every boot fitting trick I know.
http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/2014/08/super-fitting-your-boot.html

Good luck

Online tstop4me

• Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2016, 09:51:16 PM »
Last ditch effort Part A: Went to a different fitter/tech that came highly recommended by one of our adult skaters (gold level) that had boot drama. Saw another adult skater I usually compete against up there when I went in. Basically it was "You're not a narrow. I don't know why they did this." Per measurements, I'm a EE ball with an A heel, but I'm comfy in the (slightly snug) C ball. Also low arches, much probation on the left, and a high instep. Fabulous. Heat molding done. Punching in the arch done. Pretty much an effort to make it work until I lose a little more weight and I go custom.

Better, but not good enough. Still cramping, still unstable.

Last ditch effort Part B: Contacted Jackson. They requested many pics: insoles, soles, feet in boots from top, feet in boots from sides. Waiting for options and further discussion.

Threw blades back on old boots (just a temp mount) to see how I skate in them tonight. Sigh.

Really, at this point, it's quite clear that your shop screwed up.  Rather than screw up your feet further, you should ask for a full refund.  If they won't refund, then escalate to Jackson.  Regardless of official policies, major companies often will set things right as a matter of "goodwill".  Be polite, but be persistent until you reach the right person who will act on your behalf.  I've often found that reaching the office of the CEO (or president or whoever the head hauncho is) often works.  A small shop will balk at eating the cost of a pair of boots; but a lot less impact on the finances of Jackson, whereas good PR is of importance to Jackson.

Offline DressmakingMomma

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2016, 12:01:49 PM »
I'm really interested to hear how Jackson handles the situation, as it isn't a quality issue but a screwup from a shop. Hopefully they will build you the correct boot. Dd's split width came in yesterday and the fit was spot on, we'll see how they skate later today. I'm glad she is finally big/strong enough and at the right level for these because they fit well and are a big savings from what we were doing. Good luck, I hope Jackson takes care of you.

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2016, 12:57:22 PM »
I'm really interested to hear how Jackson handles the situation, as it isn't a quality issue but a screwup from a shop.

This is true and also makes me wonder what they'll do.  How much control do they have over the customer service given by the shop?  The one time I had Jackson/Gam replace a set of boots, they were warped and it was a quality issue.  Not sure how far I would have gotten if the shop had been at fault.  Would they replace the boots just sort of the save their reputation?  Who knows.

Offline Loops

• Total GOE: 112
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2016, 02:34:57 PM »
I agree with tstop. The shop messed up and needs to make it right. Like the others I'm curious how jackson handles this situation. Please do keep us posted!  We are your cheer section here  ;)