You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Choosing Music for Routines  (Read 2758 times)

Offline cameocooper

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 0
Choosing Music for Routines
« on: February 20, 2017, 12:59:14 AM »
I have been asked to choose new music, for the next skating season for my competition routine. I have a beautiful dress Gyspy dress that I really want to use, but not sure of what music to chose. I will be completing in Adult bronze, so only single jumps, and basic spins like sit and camel. As a adult skater I don't want to use the usually music for a gyspy routine like Dark Eyes, and I also can't skate to really fast music as although a reasonable good skater for my level, I am slow across the ice, so am really struggling to find music that has a slower tempo but is Gyspy themed. Anyone has any ideas?

Mod note: topic moved.

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
Re: Choosing Music for Routines
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 01:57:49 AM »
Gloomy Sunday?

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26

Offline dkd

• Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 19
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 04:56:17 PM »
Bacchanale? It's a little fast but I always think of gypsies when I hear it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjRiLKSPbqc

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 10:08:22 PM »
i'm more of a sound track, Broadway show tune type of skater. I don't have the body for classical music. I'm built for comedy not for ballet.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 08:11:39 PM »
I won't make specific suggestions, but some music has really strong beats, including some gypsy dance tunes. If you can skate in time to the music, that often looks great. It also helps you time your program.

If you don't have that strong a sense of rhythm, music with strong beats makes that much too obvious.

You could always look up "gypsy dance music" or "gypsy folk music" on a search engine, or at Youtube.

"Gypsy" is not all that specific. It usually refers to the Romani peoples, but even that is divided into many subgroups, with somewhat distinct musical traditions, and has influenced and been influenced by the music of many cultures. E.g., Flamenco.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 06:06:17 PM »
If you are a slow skater, do NOT use slow music.  It will put everyone to sleep!  Use medium-paced music.

Offline mamabear

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 98
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 03:01:17 PM »
It's been years since I watched it but the soundtrack from the movie "Red Violin" came to mind.