You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Blade positioning woes  (Read 6834 times)

Offline Snakero

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Re: Blade positioning woes
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2024, 12:48:45 PM »
I think it's worthwhile to hit pause and rewind.  Typically when you pronate on ice skates, you have no problems getting onto inside edges and difficulty getting onto outside edges.  The opposite of what you describe.

What happens when you try to do single-foot straight glides (left foot, right foot, forward, backward)?  Do you glide straight, veer to the left, or veer to the right under the conditions above?  It's best to have someone else observe you.  If you can get onto clean ice, look at the tracings.  Do you have two parallel traces of equal weight, two parallel traces of unequal weight (if so, note which trace is heavier), or one trace under the conditions above?

Um, I mean that I can do outside edges "fine" as in I can feel my weight supported, and my feet doesn't hurt. Like if I skate just doing single foot outside edges the boots feel fine. So somethings going on when that's not the case (when I move towards the inside edge).

So, I can "get" to an inside edge just fine, stuffs just start to hurt like hell for some reason.

I'll try get some more info on those single straight glides next time I have the chance during the weekend!

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2024, 03:44:32 PM »
Covid hit shortly after this, then I had the knee operation to remove part of my injured meniscus, so I never did anything about it. I still have these boots plus an unused pair of Silver Stars sitting around, but I'll likely never get to use them because of the %$&@& knee and advancing age.

I had intended to fabricate a wedge of leather to fit between blade and boot. I didn't have much room inside the boot for orthotics.
Ah, yes, how time flies.  I overlooked the fact that this thread started just before the Covid shutdowns.  Sorry to hear your medical issues have kept you off ice. 

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2024, 03:45:43 PM »
Um, I mean that I can do outside edges "fine" as in I can feel my weight supported, and my feet doesn't hurt. Like if I skate just doing single foot outside edges the boots feel fine. So somethings going on when that's not the case (when I move towards the inside edge).

So, I can "get" to an inside edge just fine, stuffs just start to hurt like hell for some reason.

I'll try get some more info on those single straight glides next time I have the chance during the weekend!

OK.  Let's wait for the single straight line glide results before proceeding.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2024, 06:03:19 PM »
Just to confirm, you tape the underside of the insole, not the sole of the boot?

Correct. Partly because tape doesn't adhere all that well to the bottom inside of my boots.

You can also tape the outsole (the bottom outside) of the boot - so that the blade mounting plates will fit snugly against the bottom outside of the boot. (But some boots, like Edeas, I think, place the part called the outsole inside a piece of fabric.)

BTW, some people like me have a a mismatch in the left-right tilt in the bottom of your feet (with relatively little weight on them) to the bottom of the boot - which leaves empty space that I think should always be filled, else you potentially lose control over what your boot is doing. In my case, it also caused pain, due to muscle over-use - because I originally tried to compensate by reshaping my feet to match the boot. You can also have a tendency of some feet (or ankles) to collapse to one side when weight is put on them. On top of that, it is possible that the shape of the sides of your boot put more pressure on one side of your feet or ankles than the other side - in which case you might want to make things more symmetric by sticking something on the light pressure side to balance forces. All of these things can affect the way you skate.

Offline supersharp

• Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 73
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2024, 04:52:50 PM »
Thank you for replies!

I was thinking of athletic tape too. One thing I'm worried is building the insole too thick, since the skates (Ice Fly) are rather snug fit, and I have pretty high arcs to begin with. Just to confirm, you tape the underside of the insole, not the sole of the boot?

Will try this for starters.

Snakero- while it is ideal to make the correction inside the boot, you can also shim between the boot sole and the blade sole plates if there is no room inside the boot.

Please send photos of the blades mounted on the boots, looking down at the sole plates, and a front view of the boots, looking from the front.