You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Olympic music- why all the covers?  (Read 9024 times)

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
Olympic music- why all the covers?
« on: February 14, 2018, 12:09:40 AM »
I know this is the first Olympic year that allows music with lyrics.  I've been noticing that a lot of the songs used are covers or less well known versions of songs.  Any idea why?  Is it just because they're less familiar and therefore unusual (and maybe not associated with some movie or commercial or something)?  Cheaper royalties?

Also, looks like the award for most used song may go to the various versions of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah".  No real objection but there seem to be a lot of them out there. 

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Re: Olympic music- why all the covers?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 04:00:41 AM »
Some covers are just better for programs than others. Cohen's Hallelujah is not as skateable as later covers.

Offline LunarSkater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 210
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 08:06:23 AM »
I’m currently skating to a cover and maybe my thought process is part of their reasons, too. I find the original version of my song to be a tad boring. I love the cover. Sometimes a different version ‘speaks’ to you better than any of the others out there.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 09:42:22 AM »
Cover versions often have different tempo or emphasis on the lyrics.  I use them when there are objectionable lyrics in the original version.  For older songs, like Swing-era, even the remastered versions of the originals sound a little flat or jarring on the soundsystem, so re-recordings or covers give you the same/similar sound.  I heard a song on the remake (movie vs. anniversary remake) for Sound of Music that I just liked better - it was a little slower, the vocals were clearer and it had a slightly more "fun, fun, fun" feeling than the original.  My skating student agreed and so we're yodeling at the rink this Spring to Carrie Underwood, ROFLOL!
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 10:40:52 AM »
I love Hallelujah, but agree that Cohen's version is not the most skatable.

Personally, I may try to get a cover when the original is sung by a male, and I'd prefer it be sung from a female perspective (which will also flip the pronouns in the lyrics). Depends on the song. I also may prefer a pop version over country, or vice versa.

Offline singerskates

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 6
  • Canadian Adult Skater
    • Singerskates Sports Music Editing
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 12:02:56 PM »
I know this is the first Olympic year that allows music with lyrics.  I've been noticing that a lot of the songs used are covers or less well known versions of songs.  Any idea why?  Is it just because they're less familiar and therefore unusual (and maybe not associated with some movie or commercial or something)?  Cheaper royalties?

Also, looks like the award for most used song may go to the various versions of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah".  No real objection but there seem to be a lot of them out there.
The reason many skaters would pick a cover version of a song instead of an original is the textured background music allows for more nuances allowing for more creativity in the second mark.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

"It's not age that determines but the heart." "Skating is not just a sport for the young but it's a passion for the soul of the young at heart." Brigitte Laskowski

I am an adult skater who is a member of Tecumseh Skating  WOS for 2012 2013 season.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 12:48:05 PM »
I noticed that a lot of the songs had English lyrics, which surprised me. 

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 02:32:30 PM »
Does it maybe have to do with copyrights?

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 08:54:20 AM »
Interesting and timely NYT article on music licensing at the Olympics:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/14/arts/music/olympics-figure-skating-songs-copyrights.html

The use of cover versions is not related to licensing fee contracts.  (I kind of knew that, but it was an interesting article.)

As for copyrights, singerskates can of course speak more to that topic.  These elite choreographers want what they want - if they hear a song, they'll listen to variations until they find one that "sings to them."  They don't negotiate any copyright or music licensing deals, AFAIK.

I will say that, in terms of digital music, covers can be less expensive to buy than originals.  There are a lot of instrumental cover versions of popular songs, with instruments from flute, to piano, to music boxes.  Most are 99¢ on iTunes or Amazon, compared to the original being $1.29 or $1.99. 

Some of the coaches at our rink download/convert songs from YouTube videos and it shows in the sound quality.  They think it's legal, I'm not so sure.

I buy digital music for my skaters, it's a business expense, so why monkey with converters?  I don't charge for cutting music since I often reuse two or more years later for another skater.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 09:03:55 AM »
Just as aside, after any major televised skating competition or show, 15-20 teenagers will post on social media "What was (skater's) music?"  They want to know the title and the artist.

While the licensing fee per song is small, there is probably a sales bump after events.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 01:28:50 PM »
What are the rules for music usage for skating?  (Thinking more local/small competitions or exhibitions but either or.)  Technically someone needs to get paid and that isn't resolved by purchasing the music off iTunes.
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 01:46:54 PM »
Rinks (for public skating) and skating organizations purchase a music license that allows them to use recorded music.  The premium isn't divvied out by song or artist - they just pay an ASCAP, BMI and/or SESAC annual fee.  Skating clubs hosting events are covered by the blanket license of their organization.  That's one of the reasons the ISI and USFSA require every show and competition to have an approved sanction.

US Figure Skating's qualifying competitions registration ask the skater for the music title and artist - I assume it's for the spectator programs moreso than music licensing.  Ryan Bradley's Gold-medal performance at the 2011 US Nationals had the wrong music listed in the program because he changed programs.  I loved it because his costume reminded me of Andy Griffith and the event was in North Carolina, plus it was Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, which is one of my favorite songs.

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 10:34:11 PM »
I noticed that a lot of the songs had English lyrics, which surprised me.

The world listens to English music.
:blush: ~ I should be writing~ :blush:

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 09:10:38 AM »
The world listens to English music.

Yes, of course, but I would have expected the skaters to have music from their own countries.  Then again, most of them train in Colorado or Hackensack, so whatever.

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 11:15:06 AM »
It's eye-opening how many of the world's Olympic skaters train in the US.

It also amazes me how many were born elsewhere instead of the country they represent.
Bill Schneider

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 11:46:00 AM »
Very true - I was surprised to see Keegan Messing competing for Canada.  He had been a US skater for years and years.  I can't blame him- he wanted to go to the Olympics and that was an avenue to get him there.

Offline singerskates

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 6
  • Canadian Adult Skater
    • Singerskates Sports Music Editing
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 08:41:39 PM »
Rinks (for public skating) and skating organizations purchase a music license that allows them to use recorded music.  The premium isn't divvied out by song or artist - they just pay an ASCAP, BMI and/or SESAC annual fee.  Skating clubs hosting events are covered by the blanket license of their organization.  That's one of the reasons the ISI and USFSA require every show and competition to have an approved sanction.

US Figure Skating's qualifying competitions registration ask the skater for the music title and artist - I assume it's for the spectator programs moreso than music licensing.  Ryan Bradley's Gold-medal performance at the 2011 US Nationals had the wrong music listed in the program because he changed programs.  I loved it because his costume reminded me of Andy Griffith and the event was in North Carolina, plus it was Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, which is one of my favorite songs.
Same thing happens in Canada but the performing rights organization is called SOCAN in Canada. I am a member of SOCAN because I am a singersongwriter in addition to a music editor, musician and an adult skater.
Many places pay monthly and some times yearly licensing fees; skating clubs, sports venues, bars, malls and places of worship.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

"It's not age that determines but the heart." "Skating is not just a sport for the young but it's a passion for the soul of the young at heart." Brigitte Laskowski

I am an adult skater who is a member of Tecumseh Skating  WOS for 2012 2013 season.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2018, 11:57:42 AM »
Have you noticed how many figure and hockey players have Russian-sounding names?

Offline adrien

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2021, 08:20:34 PM »
I know someone who runs an entire business out of re-recording covers, for a chain of gyms.

This allows certain things

* changing tempo (without using digital effects to just do it, which has other impacts)
* avoiding paying for the mechanical copyright to the owner of the recording (usually a record label, who will charge a lot for it).

If you use an original recording, you must pay a licensing fee to the owner of the recording.  Often this is covered by an annual license fee paid by a venue, but I'm pretty sure that kind of license would not allow video broadcast of the event, so for major events you would have to negotiate a particular deal.

So, it's cheaper to re-record, and sometimes more convenient.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2021, 10:30:18 PM »
Cohen's cover has a fairly constant tempo. That makes it easier to skate to, but less exciting.

Not much volume or pitch range either. The rhythmic background is pretty basic too.

In that context the lyrics are something of a downer too.

Elevator muzak. I like more musical excitement.

E.g., compare the tempo, volume, pitch, and tonal range, the clear musical climax, and the interesting percussive background, of the Pentatonix version.

But that's just my take.

Clearly a lot of people must love it.

Also, despite my opinion, this isn't just any old Cover. Cohen is the composer, and he released the song. So his is the authentic original, the way it was meant to be.

Offline adrien

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2021, 05:37:36 PM »
I honestly think choreographers should seriously look to getting music commissioned and recorded for major routines.

It's like the difference between a tailor-made suit, and putting a suit together from multiple different suits off a rack.  It will fit better, and you can make it whatever shape you want.

There's a reason movie directors do it, they understand the music is a massive part of the impact of a film.  It can alter the audience perception and emotional response.  That's why the big film composers get paid millions for a soundtrack.

But you can find lots of composers who would charge very little for a routine, many would do it just for the exposure.

The trick is finding a composer whose work you like, and who you think can make something that will be perfect for your routine.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2021, 10:54:42 AM »
The top skaters whose routines are replayed in prime time, on major network TV, do give lots of exposure to music composers and performers, costome designers, coaches and choreographers. Not sure about the others. But I guess it would be cool to be able to say your composition made it to the Olympics.

OTOH, with a custom piece and performance, you can time the musical climaxes to the times of the most difficult moves. Also, you can get the exact tempos you want, without playing electronic games that might create bad sounding artifacts.

Music is sometimes the skater's choice. They hear music they love, and want it.

But an established piece of music likely evokes a specific style of costume - which affects judging.

I wonder whether music with religious and in this case explicit sexual references, offends some people.

The Biblical account does not read to me like a great romance novel. David spies on Bathsheba bathing; he orders her to sleep with him, adultery for both; he arranges her husband (who she will mourn) killed in battle; David makes her his seventh wife. God is displeased; David and his line is cursed (though in some respects David is considered a great King); Bathsheba successfully schemes to get an enfeebled David to designate their son Saul as the next king, a role Saul fills badly.

Given that truly awful backstory, it wouldn't be my first choice pf music. But some people love tragedies.

Offline supersharp

• Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 73
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2022, 09:34:43 PM »
Very true - I was surprised to see Keegan Messing competing for Canada.  He had been a US skater for years and years.  I can't blame him- he wanted to go to the Olympics and that was an avenue to get him there.

Keegan is an all-around nice guy, and an Alaskan at heart. He's a great ambassador for the sport--he came and skated in our annual show for years and has been a real inspiration for skaters all over Alaska.  When he switched to skating for Canada, the paperwork for having him do the exhibition became a little more complicated, but we were able to make it work. People got pretty excited when they realized that he was actually going to the Olympics...a home-grown Alaskan kid making it to the highest level of competition.

Keegan's mom is Canadian.  He skated for the US for quite awhile, but eventually could see that his dual citizenship offered him a better opportunity to meet his skating goals. It's impressive to see how far he has come in the last 5 years.  All the skaters in Alaska were holding their breath when he was stuck in limbo in that hotel room, waiting for test results to be able to fly out.  What a crazy year!