You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Linked Events

• TV: All That Skate LA!: October 10, 2010

Author Topic: All That Skate LA! NBC Broadcast  (Read 2674 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
All That Skate LA! NBC Broadcast
« on: October 05, 2010, 07:25:20 PM »
http://www.universalsports.com/blogs/blog=gofigure/postid=494887.html

Why Kim’s show was ‘All That’
When you have three of the four reigning Olympic champions and add Michelle Kwan, it is hard to go wrong. But even with the advantage of a star-studded cast, All That Skate L.A. delivered something truly refreshing to the world of figure skating shows.

NBC broadcast airs on October 10, 2010 at 2:30pm ET.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
Re: All That Skate LA! NBC Broadcast
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 05:21:05 AM »
I watched this broadcast today - it was okay.  I liked the themes of "Dream Your Dream" and "Have a Role Model."  The crowd was definitely filled with MK and YNK fans - wonder if the place was crowded?  

They did a really nice job with the camera work and I was so glad that the sound was good - some of the music was lovely.  I liked the big-screen TV backdrop that the camera crew used to "green screen" the skaters.  It didn't always work, but when it did, it was very good.

I think NBC must have left out big parts of the show.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I kept seeing Ashley Wagner in the group numbers, but I never saw a solo from her!  She was (to use an FSU term) chacked!  I was disappointed - I think she's a talented skater.  Maybe it was a music-rights or broadcast-rights issue, or something to do with eligibility?  But Savchenko&Szolkowy, Virtue/Moir and Chan weren't affected...strange.  *shrugs*

Michelle looked good: strong and definitely flexible.  She really didn't have to do any big jumps; I think double axel was the most difficult one I saw during the show.  Very pretty and she certainly has a unique style of skating on the ice that is wonderful to watch.

Yu-Na Kim was better on the ice than speaking on camera.  Must be very difficult to speak in another language, knowing it's going to be seen on TV.  Her skating was good, but I was surprised that they didn't do a retake of the jump she missed.  Then again, I like the honesty of showing it the way it really happened.  Six of one, half-dozen of the other, right? ;)  I liked the "Bulletproof" routine, but as my kids pointed out, it was a bit repetitive - same movements over and over.  Then again, the song is repetitive...

The guest singer, Younha, was really cute and has a great voice.  I loved it when she said she was nervous!  Her english was much stronger - does she live in the US?

I was in heaven when I saw Stephane Lambiel - what a talented skater and does he like to have fun on the ice!  His numbers were awesome - I loved the one bit where he did a CW axel then stepped up into a tucked CCW double toe loop!  I rewatched that at least six times - it was just so astounding and effortless!  My kids went crazy for the one-handed cartwheel!  I'm so glad he's still skating and I hope he turns up in other US shows and broadcasts.  

DH sat down to watch for two routines.  When Tanith and Ben did their growing-up routine, DH said "We saw this at Stars on Ice" and he went for a walk, lol.  I was hoping Virtue & Moir would repeat their Olympic Exhibition routine of the hockey player and the ballerina-figure skater, but no such luck.  Maybe it just didn't make the broadcast.

Johnny Weir did his Lady Gaga routine in full costume.  It just isn't as novel as it used to be, and I'm not into fashion.  If I keep noticing how tight his pants are, I'm missing his skating, lol.  Which is the real shame because he is an awesome skater.  It always seems like he's hiding behind the costuming, like putting his light under a basket.  Maybe a year of doing shows will help him be more comfortable with his skating talent.

Patrick Chan was very good and his jumps are so clean and tight.  He seemed less dancey and more athletic.  I liked the dancey style better, personally, but I understand that he has to evolve in order to compete on a higher level.

Loved the B-boy(s) vs. the men's skaters - that was fun to watch.  Lambiel can win anything street contest with those spins, especially the headless.  At various points, I felt like it was "no contest" though - the stage dancers outdanced the skaters.  I was impressed with the stage dancer who opened the number by doing his thing on the ice - I'll bet that was the fastest he's ever spun on his back, lol.

Can I just say that, other than Tanith, none of the ladies has ever danced dirty and it shows!  
Weir and Lambiel can pull it off, but on Chan and Moir, it just looks affected.
Maybe they should add some off-ice dirty dancing lessons to their training regime, lol.

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
Re: All That Skate LA! NBC Broadcast
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 05:23:45 AM »
There are some videos, including the B-Boys routine, on the website:

http://www.allthatskate.com/
(Click on "Movies")