You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Budgeting crisis- boot suggestions needed.  (Read 6043 times)

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
Budgeting crisis- boot suggestions needed.
« on: November 26, 2010, 10:15:56 PM »
So a couple months ago I budgeted to buy a $450 boot next summer, planning to use the blades I currently have. But now I'm thinking I'm probably going to need a boot in the ranges of $550-600. Since a couple months ago, I did not see myself attempting doubles at this point. But now I'm not sure where to pull the extra money from. Of course, whenever my current boots wear out, I'll ask my coach what boots to get. But right now I'm just trying to figure out how much money I might possibly need to spend.

Information:
Right now I have Riedell Gold Medallions. I have had them since April, and in April I was only doing half revolution jumps. But now I am working on axel, double salchow, double loop and double flip. I have not landed any yet, so at the moment, no stress is being put on the boots from these jumps. But I will be landing them soon. I have absolutely no clue how my skates will hold up to doubles.

I skate 3.5 hours per week, but I'll be working to get that into 4-6 hours. Might not happen, but I can try.
I weigh 110 lbs, 5'7-ish. I don't know how hard I land or anything. I will not be growing out of the boots at all (feet have been same size for years.)

So what Riedell skate recommendation would be made for somebody consistently landing most doubles? That's the maximum jump level I'm planning for next summer. If a skate recommendation can't be made, then at least a price range, pleasey.

Thanks in advance for any and all help! :)

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
Re: Budgeting crisis- boot suggestions needed.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 10:27:57 PM »
Would you be willing to try Jacksons? They are slightly cheaper then Riedells. You would probably be fine in the Elites or Premiers. They are $399 and $299 but you might have to get to new blades since the heel hight is different so it might not be a good option, but they are excellent skates.

http://www.rainbosports.com/shop/site/department.cfm/id/248C216D-D610-7E99-DDB078F5980FD9D0

I don't know much about Riedells I wanted the Lightweight ones but my skate fitter didn't like them and said Riedells wouldn't fit my foot right so I didn't get it. I think they look really nice and I wanted them I've heard very good things about them and then some bad things. They have a lower back which would make it easier to point your toe.

http://www.rainbosports.com/shop/site/department.cfm/id/D75C36CD-9452-1EF7-88CEA378B473813F

Rainbo Sports is a great site to just poke around on. They sell everything! So you can get an idea about what you want.

Offline Sierra

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 09:57:02 AM »
Wow, those are cheaper. Both pairs of my skates have been Riedell and they fit me very well (having not even been professionally fitted for either pair). Maybe I'll try them on, though.

The Riedell site is kind of hard to use- I selected ISI FS8 (since the US levels are plain confusing) and got 2010 LS and 875 TS. I thought 875 was a lesser level boot (it's also nearly $200 cheaper, too..). ISI FS8 is flying sit and double flip.

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 10:23:46 AM »
Sierra,

I would get yourself to a professional boot fitter. They will have a better idea of what boots you should purchase, or even if you need new ones. My boots generally last me 18+ months and I weigh about 50 pounds more than you and am working on about the same jumps. With you being so light, you may not necessarily need stronger boots. It is better to have a softer boot and have to purchase more often than to be overbooted. Even though a stronger boot may seem like it is needed, it could cause more issues in the long run because of having to break them in.

--Kim

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 02:01:13 PM »
Wow, those are cheaper. Both pairs of my skates have been Riedell and they fit me very well (having not even been professionally fitted for either pair). Maybe I'll try them on, though.

The Riedell site is kind of hard to use- I selected ISI FS8 (since the US levels are plain confusing) and got 2010 LS and 875 TS. I thought 875 was a lesser level boot (it's also nearly $200 cheaper, too..). ISI FS8 is flying sit and double flip.
When they say ISI 8 they mean passed ISI 8.Since you are working on your axle, and stated you havent landed it yet, I wouldnt overboot either.You dont boot for what you might have, you boot for what you have right now.You would be in ISI4 until you have a clean axle.
Jacksons are good, as well as Riedells.I would talk to a boot fitter about what jumps you have now and what is the best for your foot.

Offline Sierra

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 04:44:14 PM »
When they say ISI 8 they mean passed ISI 8.Since you are working on your axle, and stated you havent landed it yet, I wouldnt overboot either.You dont boot for what you might have, you boot for what you have right now.You would be in ISI4 until you have a clean axle.
Jacksons are good, as well as Riedells.I would talk to a boot fitter about what jumps you have now and what is the best for your foot.
I'm talking about where I might be late next year, because that might be around the time I'll need new skates. Of course, I have absolutely no clue what jumps I'll be doing then, but I'm trying to guesstimate so I can budget for skates.

Sierra,

I would get yourself to a professional boot fitter. They will have a better idea of what boots you should purchase, or even if you need new ones. My boots generally last me 18+ months and I weigh about 50 pounds more than you and am working on about the same jumps. With you being so light, you may not necessarily need stronger boots. It is better to have a softer boot and have to purchase more often than to be overbooted. Even though a stronger boot may seem like it is needed, it could cause more issues in the long run because of having to break them in.

--Kim
I always thought I was heavier, as compared to the little 80 pound girls doing axels. Thanks for the input! My boots won't be 18 months old until next fall, so hopefully they will last that long.

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 05:34:35 PM »
I'm talking about where I might be late next year, because that might be around the time I'll need new skates. Of course, I have absolutely no clue what jumps I'll be doing then, but I'm trying to guesstimate so I can budget for skates.
I always thought I was heavier, as compared to the little 80 pound girls doing axels. Thanks for the input! My boots won't be 18 months old until next fall, so hopefully they will last that long.
Since you havent landed any as of yet, I dont think I would worry about what boot to get.They really take longer than most people think.Working on them is something most skaters do, landing them is different.
You could just save your money and hold off till you are ready.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 06:49:20 PM »
It's not the jumps as well that is the "measuring point". My DD was put in the Riedell 875 when she was definitely not landing either an axel or any doubles; the reasoning being her height, leg length, weight, and the wear pattern on her old boots which showed the strength of her stroking based on the breakin pattern. That's why a good boot fitter is critical. If we had put her in the "recommended" boot, it would have been way too light, and would have broken down too quickly - I would never have thought the 875 was appropriate, however, the fitter was absolutely right.

You also need to work with your coach. My other child is in a Kling S1 equivalent - is 5'9" tall and 135 pounds - and is landing double axels/heading to triples on them.  This coach underboots all of her skaters; and the boots work well in terms of the way she coaches jumps; and for the skating style that is instructed and expected.  But, nobody in their "right mind" would normally boot a skater of this level in that light of a boot, apparently; however, in this instance, it is an effective strategy and we would have a very annoyed coach were we to go with a stiffer boot.

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 11:17:07 PM »
If you're still worried about getting new boots soon you could always just chat with the sharpeners (if they are also good fitters) next time you are in the store. If it isn't busy they might be able to give you some tips to help you decide what you need and even when you might need it since they can see how the boot is wearing down.

Offline Sierra

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 09:47:17 AM »
You could just save your money and hold off till you are ready.
I am saving my money- what I'm trying to do is figure out exactly how much I need to save, because if it's going to be more than expected I'm going to have to figure out something to earn more money.

It's not the jumps as well that is the "measuring point". My DD was put in the Riedell 875 when she was definitely not landing either an axel or any doubles; the reasoning being her height, leg length, weight, and the wear pattern on her old boots which showed the strength of her stroking based on the breakin pattern.

You also need to work with your coach.
I just use jumps because I really have no clue how strong my stroking is and how much I wear down the boots doing deep edges and such. :laugh: If anything, my backward crossovers will break in the boots- if I don't tie them a certain way, they become loose from the bending force of the crossovers. I do really big ones.
I'm definitely going to work with my coach whenever I need new skates. I totally trust her recommendation.

How long can I expect CorAces to last? I haven't really quite figured out the hours between sharpenings, mostly going by feel really. Blades are supposed to have 20 or so sharpenings in their life, right?

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 01:30:43 PM »
You may also be breaking them down too fast because they are mis-fitted. Just something to consider. A good fitter will be able to tell you that from the wear pattern.

One sort-of guideline: Put the boots on and lace them properly. If you cannot bend them by doing the strongest knee bend you can, they are too stiff.  Not perfect as a guideline, but, not a horrible one either.

The blades will last as long as they last. This will depend on the skill of your sharpener; how often you have them sharpened; how careful you are about wearing guards, and cleaning them out regularly to avoid nicks from bits of grit trapped in the grooves; the ice you skate on; how frequently you skate; and frankly, which production run you got them from (a reality of metal is that slight variances in the metal and in the processing of said metal can result in minute differences in the quality of the steel).

Plus, some people replace them earlier, as their sharpener has taken the profile to something that is different from the original and they want to replace them earlier.

Ask your coach how much wear is left in your blades. We usually, as a guideline, get anywhere from 1-1/4 years to  1 3/4 years out of a CoroAce, and that's skating 6 times a week for 1-1/2 hour sessions, sharpening them about every 4/5 weeks (more in competition season) by a master sharpener (one of the best in the business ... many of the skaters you see on the GP circuit have had their blades in his hands); wearing guards constantly, and skating on (softer) figure skating ice, doubles being landed and very deep and powerful edges on stroking.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 01:57:20 PM »
^ ^   ITA  ^ ^   I had written much the same thing, but when I went to post, I saw that sk8tmum had already said it all.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Sierra

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 06:29:31 PM »
Since I skate only 3 1/2 hours a week total, that's going to make my blades last a lot longer.

Today, I found out that one of the coaches at the rink sharpens. I've always gone to the lady in the pro-shop who is the figure skate one- she sharpens & mounts and I've always been satisfied. One of the mothers said they're pretty much equal. And since the coach charges $13 more than the pro-shop does..
I'll ask my coach if the pro shop lady is good enough.

My skates were not professionally fitted- I bought online. (I didn't really have a choice.) As far as I can tell, they fit well. My heel stays in place and I've never gotten blisters or sore spots. Not even when they were new. I actually went down half a size getting these skates, so they're much snugger than my old pair.
At the moment they have small, short creases underneath the lace hooks (the crease doesn't extend to the side of the boot) and the tongue has several creases- no lace bite yet though.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 01:45:30 AM »
My DD is about the same level as you are.  She lands her axel inconsistently.  She is landing her double loop and working on double toe loop & double salchow. She is working on Silver level ice dances. She is 5'4" about #125.  She skates about 6 hours a week.  Her feet have stopped growing.  We just replaced her skates and blades (bad sharpen totally took off her edges - very bad for an ice dancer).  She has Riedell 435's that were professionally fitted and MK Professional blades.  It cost us $636 including 7.13% tax and $40.00 to mount the blades to the boots.  I think the blades were in the $200-250 range, but can't remember exactly. 

Offline Sierra

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 06:12:19 PM »
My DD is about the same level as you are.  She lands her axel inconsistently.  She is landing her double loop and working on double toe loop & double salchow. She is working on Silver level ice dances. She is 5'4" about #125.  She skates about 6 hours a week.  Her feet have stopped growing.  We just replaced her skates and blades (bad sharpen totally took off her edges - very bad for an ice dancer).  She has Riedell 435's that were professionally fitted and MK Professional blades.  It cost us $636 including 7.13% tax and $40.00 to mount the blades to the boots.  I think the blades were in the $200-250 range, but can't remember exactly. 
That's great info, thanks! My axel and double loop were pretty darn close today, so I will be landing them soon. The mountings here are only $15, so that'll take a chunk out of the overall price (and I don't pay for mounting/sharpening anyway.)