You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Do I really need custom boots?  (Read 7713 times)

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Do I really need custom boots?
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2014, 12:31:04 PM »
Klingbeil's spin-off company is Avanta skating boots in TN... not sure they are really up and running yet, but what I've seen looks promising.

I think they are up and running as I saw in another forum that a group of Canadian skaters is trying them and will report back once they get the boots and try them out - I think as early as next week!

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2014, 02:25:54 PM »
Thanks- I couldn't remember the name of the company.  They have a facebook page, and a developing website:

http://www.avantaskatingboots.com/avanta-skating-boots

Eager to see some prices!!!

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2014, 04:41:02 PM »
I think I understand what what you mean here.   I've read those boot fit descriptions recently, too.  My interpretation, is that the boot last itself is designed with the understanding that many (most?) people have a heel that would fit a narrower-width boot than the ball of the foot would require.  So the different brands like Jackson and GAM say something to the effect of "Narrower heel" in their fit descriptions.  BUT that doesn't mean that they're automatically split width.  If you have an even narrower heel than the last is designed for (like it seems quite a few people do), then you need to order the heel from a narrower last mixed with the ball from a wider last.  That would be the actual "split width."

As to Nate's experience with Klingbiel......  I'm not a custom skate wearer, BUT  I think recent Klingbiel is a special case.  Everything I've heard from people on these forums and people I skated with in the past, is that a bootmaker will do what it takes to get things right- down to tossing out the boots and starting fresh.  A case in point is the recent thread by JohnAllocca regarding his experience with Riedell.  His fitter was incompetent sounds like, but Riedell appears to have been very easy to work with and quite willing to accomodate his needs.  I've heard similar stories out of SPTeri and Harlick.  And historically out of Klingbiel.  But if Nate bought those during the ownership change/debacle it might be that he fell into that hole with the sudden and catastrophic decline in their customer service.  And that totally sucks.  While I personally would consider customs from any other bootmaker (Riedell and Jackson included), I will never own the oft dreamt of Klingbiels.  I've heard of a spin off company started by the former Klingbeil team, but can't find any info on that yet- I would definitely consider their boots.

People can and should correct me if I'm misinterpreting though.
My Klings were bought in like 2010 or 2011, I can't remember.  I bought two pairs within 4-5 months of each other.  Well before the ownership debacle.  The fitter was the issue.  Back then most fitters where I was from were eager to recommend Klingbiel.

He said they were the best skate for my foot type, but that was *clearly* not correct.

I actually went thought two pairs of Klings.  They certainly didn't toss them out and start over.  I paid for the second pair.  The second pair was apparently the right width, but hurt even more than the skates in the wrong width so I ended up switching back to them anyways.

I better be able to find someone who can use these skates when I get the new pair in, cause one pair is in like new condition and the other has a brand new blade on it (that I will not be bringing over to my new pair), Lol.  I don't want that to go to waste.