You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Blade length and old guards  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Janie

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 45
    • Jumps and falls of an adult figure skater
Blade length and old guards
« on: September 29, 2012, 03:41:59 AM »
I actually have two questions, but I don't know how to separate them so they're not rather redundant...

1.  Does one blade size go with one boot size? I have new boots in the same length, same width, same brand, but I only just noticed today that the blades are 1/4" shorter! Does that matter? I don't have any trouble with them (so far).

2. Can old guards used on previous blades still fit on new blades that have a slightly different size? As in, since the length is different, the position of the rocker and the curvature along the length of the blade would be slightly different too, right?
I have the Guarddog two-piece skate guards, and with my old blade (10"), I did not have to cut any bit off, I needed the longest it could be. But now on my new 9+3/4" blade, it only loosely fits. I can feel it wobbling as I walk around. Does anyone have the manual and know if it is necessary to cut a bit off for this blade size? I never thought I'd need to do anything with them again and chuck out the manual.
I don't know if it's a length problem though, or a curvature problem like aforementioned, because the guard doesn't fall off the end, it sort of rocks like a boat (but lengthwise). The guards may have conformed to the shape of the previous blade? Any advice please?
My figure skating blog! http://janieskate.blogspot.com/

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
Re: Blade length and old guards
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 07:36:13 AM »
1.  Does one blade size go with one boot size?
Not necessarily. Some fitters/skaters prefer blades mounted flush toe to heel, some fit blades 1/4 shorter than the toe to heel length. Much shorter than 1/4 (or too long) and the rocker etc will be in the wrong place making things harder for the skater.

2. guards
Guardog guard instructions. It just sounds like they are just a bit too long now and need trimmed!

Offline Janie

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 45
    • Jumps and falls of an adult figure skater
Re: Blade length and old guards
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 06:13:07 PM »
Thank you taka!! That was extremely helpful!!
My figure skating blog! http://janieskate.blogspot.com/