You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Pre-Skating Workout Regimen  (Read 3728 times)

Offline Bostyn

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 16
Pre-Skating Workout Regimen
« on: January 03, 2012, 11:19:59 AM »
Hey everyone. I've been reading these boards forever and finally decided to take the plunge and post for myself. I skated as a child-teen and have been off the ice for a few years. I'm nearly 23 now and have decided to return to skating when I get back home. I moved from my Texas town to a resort type community on the coast of Florida a few years ago and had to stop skating as the only rink for miles is the outdoor pop-up rink that goes up in the park every winter ...  :-\

Anyway, I have about 4 months to go until I'm home and on the ice again, and I want the transition from a couple years off the ice to skating on a regular (semi-intense) basis again to go as smoothly as possible. Beyond the obvious things that I can do, I was hoping that some of you could chime in and give me some ideas. What would YOU do in this case?

I've already slowly begun to change my diet back to what it needs to be as a working athlete so that will come as less of a shock to my body. Eating more fruit and veg, fiber, less processed and NO FAST FOOD! I plan on continuing to ride my bike, power walk/jog, and jump rope for cardio and stamina work. My old stretching routine should do well enough and I know that I can work off-ice jumps the same way and work on balance and stability while holding spin positions. Are there any stretches or exercises that you guys can recommend? Things that will really work my core in a different way, or help with the loss in strength and flexibility? For a reference point, I had all doubles excluding 2A relatively consistently and had worked through Novice moves before having to give it up. My goal is to be right back at that level as soon as reasonably possible. Like I said, I want to start doing everything I can NOW to make getting on the ice less of a shock in 4 months!

Thanks so much! :)

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
Re: Pre-Skating Workout Regimen
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 11:37:02 AM »
Look into Sk8strong.com materials.  It is a great off-ice workout system.  The PT who designed it is a figure skater herself.  I have the manual as opposed to the DVDs and I like it a lot. 
Welcome to the forums!!!

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 11:42:07 AM »
Welcome to skatingforums!

Have you checked out the S.T.A.R.S. workouts from the USFSA?  They're having a Combine in Texas mid-2012, so if you start using their prep workouts for agility, flexibility and strength, you could do the Combine to find your areas of improvement and track your progress.  They're talking about having an adult Combine this year for the first time, but I don't think they'd turn an adult away from any scheduled Combine.  Still, you want to go in prepared.

www.starscombine.com
(Look at "S.T.A.R.S. Program Exercise Guide" under Resources in the right-hand column for the pre-test workouts.)

I really, really like the sk8strong.com videos as well - just started doing their off-ice workouts recently and I feel the difference.  I have used their suggested workouts to sketch out a Wii Fit Plus workout so I can control the sets/reps more easily.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 02:28:36 PM »
Are you in the northern Florida region? You can pm me if you'd like to keep that private. You can always come back to skating a little earlier. I know of three on the east coast of fl and all are perfect for getting your legs back under you. :)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 02:30:57 PM »
If there is no ice available, how about some inline skating to start building up the thigh muscles again?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 04:05:17 PM »
My goal is to be right back at that level as soon as reasonably possible.

I commend your enthusiasm but I also want to caution you to take things slow.. and it might be wise to be working with a coach as you work through most of your skills, especially when it comes time to work on doubles.  I've seen quite a few young adults get back into skating without a coach and they end up picking up some pretty freaky habits on the way to getting their jumps back (even with just singles).  If your goal is to progress to where you had been and beyond, it will be really helpful not to have to backtrack later on :)

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 04:23:27 PM »
Welcome!

I have to second the comment of sarahspins.  I took off nearly 10 years and started skating again on my own in 2010.  Halfway through 2011 I got a coach, and we are still, even now, trying to fix some bad habits I picked up in the year or so I skated by myself.  Granted I am older than you and took more time off, but in the interim my body had changed significantly since I was a teenage skater.  My hips really grew in my mid 20s, and the distribution of weight on my body was different, and my center of gravity changed.  I compensated as a result and we are working to fix/improve my singles so I can get my other doubles back.  I think it would have taken less time if I started working with my coach earlier.

My husband thinks I am nuts for skating, but he is helping me work off ice to get in better shape.  One thing he has helped me to realize is how important strength training is for the upper body.  Before I would mostly do a stretching routine, cardio, and off ice jump exercises, and that just isn't cutting it.  I need more work on abs, back, arms, and shoulders.  Row exercises and some lifting I think will really help me.

You will absolutely love skating again, before you know it you'll be working to pass your next moves test!  

Offline Bostyn

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 16
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 04:31:47 PM »
I commend your enthusiasm but I also want to caution you to take things slow.. and it might be wise to be working with a coach as you work through most of your skills, especially when it comes time to work on doubles.  I've seen quite a few young adults get back into skating without a coach and they end up picking up some pretty freaky habits on the way to getting their jumps back (even with just singles).  If your goal is to progress to where you had been and beyond, it will be really helpful not to have to backtrack later on :)

Oh of course, my old coaches have been notified that I'm returning and I'll be in privates and power classes regularly right away. I know that it's unrealistic to think that I'll be doing doubles and axels the first day, and most likely even in the first months. My first goal is to get myself back in shape, get all my moves back, and skate a clean, simple program in our annual holiday show. I'm not even going to expect doubles out of myself before that. The good thing is that I'll be in brand new boots and a new blade that I've never skated in before, so that will force me to take things slower than I might want to otherwise, while I'm getting used to the new combo and breaking in the boots. Thanks for all the recommendations on sk8strong, I have heard tons of positive feedback regarding that.

And thanks for the welcome :)

Offline rsk8d

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 12
    • Sk8Strong
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 12:28:35 PM »
!Thanks to those of you with the nice Sk8Strong comments
Visit www.sk8strong.com for off-ice training information, DVDs and more

Offline bambucci

• Teacher | Learner
  • Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 02:11:44 AM »
Best of luck to you!

Very similar to you - I had all my doubles and was working on Novice moves and then I had enough and decided to enjoy high school.  Looking back, I want to smack my 15 year-old self and say 'Finish your tests!' but what do you know when you're 15, right?  So I'm coaching full time now, and I am trying to get back in shape.  I turn 30 next February, and my goal is to pass up to Senior by the time I'm 33.  Why? - just because I know I could have done it back then, had I kept pushing myself.  I like the challenge and I've seen other adult skaters do it, so why not me?  One part of me thinks I'm crazy - the other part knows this is totally feasible.  What makes it really difficult is now I have a family (plus the falls hurt more this time around, heh).  My daughter loves skating, so whenever we're together I work with her AND my wife stepped on the ice the first time last December and loves it too.  Hah!  Our son is still a baby and as much time as he is at the rink now, I'm sure he'll end up skating as well.

Our diet has changed for the better since we had our son.  He has allergic reactions when my wife consumes any foods with gluten and has awful gas when she eats dairy.  We've been forced to read what is actually in our food and eat healthier.  We cook three meals daily, which is friendly on the pocketbook.  It's been a blessing in disguise, of course we pray he outgrows these symptoms.  Since I quit my job in the restaurant, I have only had one soda and it was awful.  We drink water, with the occasional adult beverage with dinner, and that's pretty much it. 

What's been tough is getting up early to work out.  We both work from home and with the baby, it's crazy how erratic the mornings can be, even though we have a schedule.  We have Chalean Extreme, it's similar to P90X but tamer, and we like it - but don't like waking up at 7:45am.  I'll have to look at some reviews of the Sk8Strong, but like that there recommended here.  :-)

Isk8NYC - I am going to forward the S.T.A.R.S. on to our SD.  We have a off-ice jump class, but we could use a conditioning class as well.  We're a brand new rink, so our program is still in its infant stages.

Bostyn - Good luck to you, again!  We can do this!   ;D
“In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.” ― Robert Frost