You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: New Jackson Premiers  (Read 2405 times)

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
New Jackson Premiers
« on: April 21, 2014, 07:31:54 PM »
My new skates came in Saturday. I went and had them heat molded this afternoon. Yikes are they stiff!  Left them to have the blades mounted. I didn't have to get new ones.

I won't be able to pick them up until at least Sunday and break them in Wednesday. Should be an interesting skate. Shorter/wider toe box and lots more padding. Hopefully, this will put the rocker under the right spot.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 3
  • live, breathe, eat figure skating
Re: New Jackson Premiers
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 08:25:32 PM »
Nice! I just got mine also like a week ago. They are really stiff. However I wish it had a LITTLE bit more padding all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 02:41:40 AM »
Oooh!  Have fun!!!!!

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 04:08:10 PM »
So, I got to skate on an empty public this afternoon.   All I have to say is "wow!"  They are stiffer (I only laced three hooks) but I have room for my toes. The area under the ball of my foot is a little harder and one spot rubbed on the back of my right heel. I'm going to skate in them one more time before I have the blades permanently mounted and the soles waterproofed. I think I'm going to like them.

As far as actually skating--THAT'S what a 3turn is supposed to feel like???  :o  I was a little apprehensive, but the first one felt amazing! A lot less toepick dragging going on. First spin only had a couple of revolutions, but I essentially have to relearn. I guess having the rocker under the ball of the foot (instead of under the toes) is kind of a big deal. I could also push with the ball of my foot and not be on my toepicks. Now I just have to relearn everything I've been doing for years and learn to stand up straight.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline sk8time

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 05:15:15 PM »
Interesting comments about rocker position being under the ball of the foot with the new skates - what blades did you get? 

I have the same current problem, as the rocker really feels like its between the toes and the ball of the foot, making (attempted) spinning "fun".

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 05:33:46 PM »
Same MK Professionals I had before. Luckily, I didn't have to fork out for another set.

Have you been fitted? I didn't find out I was in the wrong size until I talked to a Jackson rep about a split-width. If you feel like you're trying to grip the ice with your toes and have trouble staying off your toepicks, you might be a redn. . .  no, wait, you might be in the wrong size.

I only tried simple things today. I did one waltz and two half flips. My toepicks feel. . . softer isn't the right word, but maybe not so exposed? Different. It will take me a few hours to get used to it.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 05:41:45 PM »
So, I got to skate on an empty public this afternoon.   All I have to say is "wow!"  They are stiffer (I only laced three hooks) but I have room for my toes.

While they break in can I suggest katstrapz. They wear like iron. They hold the boot together at the top, but give nicely so you can get some knee bend.

I never lace my top hooks, but use katstrapz instead.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline sk8time

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 09:24:37 AM »
Same MK Professionals I had before. Luckily, I didn't have to fork out for another set.

Have you been fitted? I didn't find out I was in the wrong size until I talked to a Jackson rep about a split-width. If you feel like you're trying to grip the ice with your toes and have trouble staying off your toepicks, you might be a redn. . .  no, wait, you might be in the wrong size.

Yes, my boots (my first 'real' skates, Jackson Freestyles) were fitted, and they feel great (snug with no sliding around of the foot, but also no pinching or painful spots).  The confusing thing is when I do the "tricks" suggested by coach to find the rocker, it feels like what I mentioned before (weight is concentrated between the toes and ball of the foot.   I'll keep working on those spins!

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 08:53:19 PM »
While they break in can I suggest katstrapz. They wear like iron. They hold the boot together at the top, but give nicely so you can get some knee bend.

I never lace my top hooks, but use katstrapz instead.

They're not so stiff that I don't have any forward flex, just stiffer because they're a step up. I can deal with it initially, especially since I can move my toes in the boots. I've never been able to do that! It's an odd feeling.