You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Edea Ice Fly Ice Skates, Buying Questions, Please help!  (Read 4632 times)

Offline RyanPB

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 1
Edea Ice Fly Ice Skates, Buying Questions, Please help!
« on: August 18, 2015, 10:27:58 AM »
Hello there, I am interested in purchasing a pair of Edea Ice Fly ice skates, black, but I have some questions. I have been skating for almost a year now so I am still a beginner, but I have heard great things about the Ice Fly skates.

Q. I looked at the sizing and they are not standard sizes for boots (210 and up???), so, where can I got to get a proper sizing?

Q. I was looking at the boot, and I noticed that it appears that a blade has to be mounted to the boot manually and the boot even drilled. I have no idea how to do this properly and wouldn't feel comfortable just trying it from instruction myself on such expensive boots. Is there a place where I can take my skates to get blades mounted to them?

Q. I am looking to get some John Wilson Paramount Parabolic blades. Are these compatible with an Ice Fly boot?

Q. How do I order blades so they are the right size for the boot?

Q. Is there somewhere close by to me where I can go to possibly get properly fitted for boots? I live in Kent Washington in the USA.

Thank you for any help that you can provide and I hope to hear from you. 

--
Ryan P. Baskett

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
Re: Edea Ice Fly Ice Skates, Buying Questions, Please help!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 03:48:05 PM »
 I think the pro shop at Oly View  in Seattle carries  EDEA boots.  They can help you with all your  questions and mounting.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 04:21:22 PM »
Q. I looked at the sizing and they are not standard sizes for boots (210 and up???), so, where can I got to get a proper sizing?

Find a dealer in your area. They are european sizing (so I wear a female 7, which is 255 in the boots), but a dealer will fit you to the proper size.

Q. I was looking at the boot, and I noticed that it appears that a blade has to be mounted to the boot manually and the boot even drilled. I have no idea how to do this properly and wouldn't feel comfortable just trying it from instruction myself on such expensive boots. Is there a place where I can take my skates to get blades mounted to them?

Yes, that is correct. You buy boot and blade separately. You would not want to do this, your skate technician would do this, with the provided Edea screws. You would take the boot to whoever sharpens your skates (though if it's just the teenager that works parttime at the rink, ask some of the figure skaters or figure skater moms who they go to).

Q. I am looking to get some John Wilson Paramount Parabolic blades. Are these compatible with an Ice Fly boot?

1) John Wilson doesn't make paramount blades as far as I know. Paramount blades are a separate company. You would speak to your skate technician/dealer about the right blade for your level.
2) you can mount any blade to a boot, so don't worry there. Blades are personal preference, some people love paramounts, others love matrix, others love Wilson, others love MK.

Q. How do I order blades so they are the right size for the boot?

When you order boots through your fitter, have them order the proper sized blade, too.

Q. Is there somewhere close by to me where I can go to possibly get properly fitted for boots? I live in Kent Washington in the USA.
No answer for this, sorry!

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 08:44:19 PM »
Contact the US distributor http://www.skatesus.com/ and ask who the local dealers are, however I would suggest going to the fitter with an open mind as the Edeas may not work for your foot. What brand are you skating in now? Are they comfortable?
I'd also suggest searching the forum for opinions on parabolic blades, and checking that your sharpener can sharpen them before you buy them.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 01:10:35 AM »
Rick Stephens at Highland Ice arena in Shoreline fits Edeas now.

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 07:07:11 AM »
I take it you didn't like the answers you were getting elsewhere.

Allow me to fill in the people of this forum.

This guy cannot even stop (by his own admission!), and, equally by his own admission, only wants Ice Flys because they look pretty.

I don't even know that he's taking lessons/getting coaching. He literally just wants to buy a $700 pair of skates and a god-knows-how-expensive blade because the boot looks pretty.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline saje

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 08:44:55 AM »
RyanPB,
Sounds like the boots and blades you are looking at might be too advanced for your level of skating.  Ice Flys are not intended for beginning skaters and - because they are so stiff - can cause issues with learning skills properly.  You need to be an advanced skater with deep knee bend, working on difficult jumps and spins for these boots to be appropriate. 

Have you looked into Jackson skates?  They make some great boot and blade sets (blades come attached to the boot) for beginners.  When I started skating at 16, my first "real" skates were the Jackson Freestyle model.  I learned all my single jumps (including axel!) and basic spins on these skates with no problem.

Here's the link to the Jackson website: http://www.jacksonultima.com/en/home.aspx

Hope that helps! :)
Current Skating Projects:
-Intermediate MITF (still...)
-Double toes + double loops
-Getting my camel back

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 08:13:17 PM »
You aren't going to get different answers by posting the same question here.  You are going to be throwing away money buying boots that are too stiff for you that may or may not fit your foot shape.   Did you call SkatesUS and ask them for a dealer in your area?  Because their list of authorized dealers does not show any in the state of Washington, but it's possible that the guy at the Highland rink is certified now.  There are LOTS of stories about people buying Edeas (including me, and I've been skating competitively for 12 years) only to find out that they just aren't right for their feet and can't skate in them.  The highest level blade you should be looking at is MK Professional or Wilson Coronation Ace, and the Jackson boots were a good suggestion.  Reidell are good, too.  There are also less stiff Edea models if they turn out to be a good fit for your feet.  So stop asking all of us, and instead, find someone who is an Edea expert to look at your feet, evaluate your skating level, and help you choose the best boots and blades for your skating progress.

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 05:43:41 PM »
Hmm.  I think this depends on the reason you want these skates.  If you want them just to have fun in, do whatever you want - your money is yours, and it's your decision.  If you want to progress as a skater, find a good fitter and take their experienced advice.

Edea may think you can't overboot in their models, but they are a little biased!  Boots that are too stiff can lead to broken bones in the foot, and I've seen it with learning skaters who don't have the right equipment for their level.  Adults can definitely be stronger than kids, depending on their musculature and athletic ability, but I hate seeing injuries due to equipment issues!

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 09:03:20 AM »
Honestly, the lowest I've seen in Ice Flies are kids that are working on single jumps and axel. Anything below that and it tends to be too much boot for them.

When you start out, you don't need the flashy boots, since if you go too high in a boot to start, you can absolutely injure yourself. It's not a guarantee, but it's a higher possibility.

I'm doing singles and I am in Ice Flies. This is after YEARS of skating and the fact that regardless of my level, I need a custom fit because of my feet (EE width, but very narrow heel). Ice Fly was practical for me since it allowed me to customize the boot to fit my foot perfectly, and since I'd already raised my heel in my Jacksons with an insert, I had no issues adjusting.

In the end, it's Ryan's money to do with what he wishes. He asked for our opinions here and on the other forum, and didn't like them unless they were saying "YEAH YOU GO FOR THAT CUSTOM BOOT". So I think it's safe to say we are just beating a dead horse at this point. :)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 12:24:25 PM »
Mod note: Thanks everyone for your responses.  I agree that the equine has exceeded its usefulness so it's time to add to one of the many other topics open for discussion.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright