You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: diet and figure skaters  (Read 6549 times)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
diet and figure skaters
« on: January 29, 2011, 01:30:18 PM »
I know this is a very touchy subject, but I heard today that a coach is advising her skaters (all preteen girls) that they shouldn't be eating any carbohydrates. I quizzed this child to make sure that I'd not misunderstood her (I could understand no white bread or other processed carbohydrates, but not none of any type!). But no they've been told to not eat any because the coach doesn't want them getting fat (the girl's words not mine). However, it sounds like this girl has sensible parents and is quite sensible herself so is actually eating a well balanced diet (and is eating carbohydrates).

While I can see that this the coach is meaning well, she's not a trained dietician and I find it very odd that she is advocating anything other than a well balanced diet. And I find it very odd advice to be giving to growing children who need a different balance of carbohydrates, proteins etc. for their growing bodies.

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
Re: diet and figure skaters
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 03:44:18 PM »
No carbohydrates = NO ENERGY = BAD SKATING!

If the preteens are already thin, there's a good chance they already eat fine and won't get fat, especially with the addition of skating, a grueling exercise. No coach should tell a preteen girl what to eat and what not to eat- that is not their area. I don't care if she means well- carbohydrates are part of a balanced diet. Eating balanced foods in moderation should work perfectly fine for preteen girls unless they've been fat since toddlerhood or have some sort of condition.

High level skaters should work with a personal trainer to make sure they're eating enough protein, iron, etc. to ensure the strongest possible body. Overweight skaters need to ask their doctor or a dietitian to help them lose weight, with both a diet and cardio work.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 02:03:33 AM »
No carbohydrates = NO ENERGY = BAD SKATING!

If the preteens are already thin, there's a good chance they already eat fine and won't get fat, especially with the addition of skating, a grueling exercise. No coach should tell a preteen girl what to eat and what not to eat- that is not their area. I don't care if she means well- carbohydrates are part of a balanced diet. Eating balanced foods in moderation should work perfectly fine for preteen girls unless they've been fat since toddlerhood or have some sort of condition.

High level skaters should work with a personal trainer to make sure they're eating enough protein, iron, etc. to ensure the strongest possible body. Overweight skaters need to ask their doctor or a dietitian to help them lose weight, with both a diet and cardio work.

It's good to know that you as a teenager can see what's wrong with the arguement as hopefully it means that you'll continue to have a healthy relationship with food.

I did find the whole conversation a little odd. My first thought from the girl's statement was that the coach was wanting them to eat low GI foods (the slow burners) but there wasn't an emphasis as I could make out on eating wholemeal bread, brown rice, etc. 

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 07:14:08 PM »
I did find the whole conversation a little odd. My first thought from the girl's statement was that the coach was wanting them to eat low GI foods (the slow burners) but there wasn't an emphasis as I could make out on eating wholemeal bread, brown rice, etc. 

It's also entirely possible that what the coach SAID and what the skater HEARD are two different things.  Fairly common with preteens!  ;)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 04:14:47 AM »
It's also entirely possible that what the coach SAID and what the skater HEARD are two different things.  Fairly common with preteens!  ;)

I'm hoping that's the case. I'm just a bit worried, because kids at that age are vulnerable to hearing the wrong messages.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 11:10:46 AM »
I'm hoping that's the case. I'm just a bit worried, because kids at that age are vulnerable to hearing the wrong messages.

You're right about that!  If I were the coach, I would like it if somebody reported to me what the kids were saying so that I could correct any misconceptions.

Offline Hanca

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 04:31:45 AM »
If I were the coach, I would like it if somebody reported to me what the kids were saying so that I could correct any misconceptions.

The trouble is, if the coach really said that, he/she would probably be aware that it is wrong. So if someone reported it back to this coach, the person who would suffer would be the girl in question, because the coach would feel angry that she was complaining to other people and then the coach would take it out on her.

It all depends if it was honest mistake/misunderstanding, or if it was really very unprofessional advice. 

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 11:31:34 AM »
I know this is a very touchy subject, but I heard today that a coach is advising her skaters (all preteen girls) that they shouldn't be eating any carbohydrates. I quizzed this child to make sure that I'd not misunderstood her (I could understand no white bread or other processed carbohydrates, but not none of any type!). But no they've been told to not eat any because the coach doesn't want them getting fat (the girl's words not mine). However, it sounds like this girl has sensible parents and is quite sensible herself so is actually eating a well balanced diet (and is eating carbohydrates).

While I can see that this the coach is meaning well, she's not a trained dietician and I find it very odd that she is advocating anything other than a well balanced diet. And I find it very odd advice to be giving to growing children who need a different balance of carbohydrates, proteins etc. for their growing bodies.

There is a coach at our rink who can be a bit opinionated about what her skaters eat. I have heard from other parents(who have kids who skate with her) that she has reccomended certain skaters go on a "diet", even at the ripe ol' age of SIX! Thankfully that girl's mom said no way but I do find it a bit disturbing. That said, I don't agree with a lot of what that coach does. My daughter's coach mentions the importance of eating a healthy and balanced diet, but I have never heard her suggest a child go on any diet or eliminate certain foods groups.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 11:54:52 AM »
There is a coach at our rink who can be a bit opinionated about what her skaters eat. I have heard from other parents(who have kids who skate with her) that she has reccomended certain skaters go on a "diet", even at the ripe ol' age of SIX! Thankfully that girl's mom said no way but I do find it a bit disturbing. That said, I don't agree with a lot of what that coach does. My daughter's coach mentions the importance of eating a healthy and balanced diet, but I have never heard her suggest a child go on any diet or eliminate certain foods groups.

Sounds like your DD's coach is on the same wavelength as me. I'd expect coaches to be emphasising a healthy and balanced diet but not to be telling skaters to go on diets.
I did hear of one coach suggesting the skater wrote a food diary for a week as she was worried the girl was a little on the plump side. what the diary revealed was the teenager skipped lunch every day and then was starving when she got home from school and snacked until dinner time. I think the emphasis was then on eating lunch and not anything about dieting as the hope was in eating lunch she wouldn't be needing to snack so much after school.

As a follow up to this thread, I spoke to the girl's mom and it turns out she's got the wrong end of the message. The message was to limit candy, cakes and other high sugar snacks, and the mom guessed her DD would be the one to take away the wrong message. But that really was my worry. The coach is telling the message in such a way that the skaters (young children) are taking away the wrong message and it's a position of influence in these children's lives.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 12:40:30 PM »
I only emphasize healthy eating and regular meals/rest. 

I had a well-meaning coach use my DD's lunch as a visual device during a camp seminar on nutrition.  She was my DD's coach at the time and she felt comfortable using her as an example, but it backfired.  For the first 3 days of the camp, my kids went with fresh fruit, water/juice and a salad or sandwich on whole grain bread.  On the fourth day, I send a sandwich made with potato-wheat bread that I wanted to use up before it spoiled.  Did the coach mention the healthier choices earlier in the week?  Nah, she just made that day's lunch an example of "what not to eat."

The coach meant to say "Eat whole grain breads," but DD heard "don't eat sandwiches. Ever."

Her lunch came home, unopened and uneaten, for the rest of the camp.  She wouldn't even open her lunch bag or eat food where the coach could see her, for fear of being singled out again.  She told the counselors that she had a stomach ache and starved herself, drinking only water, until pickup.  Then, she wolfed down every piece of junk food she could find at home, even secreting some it so I wouldn't catch her eating chips again. 

After many discussions, she finally understood the real intent, and she pointed out that the coach didn't say anything about another coach's skater eating artificial nacho cheese & chips for lunch, roflol!  I guess the coach didn't care about that skater as much.  (I say, tongue-in-cheek.)

So, coaches, don't ever single a child out for not eating the correct things, especially when they're eating!

I stopped a skater from ordering nachos (same kid, different event) while she was wearing her synchro costume and waiting to compete!  That was different - I didn't want her to get in trouble with the synchro coaches (who don't handle stress well in the first place) for spilling it on her dress or eating the wrong thing before the event.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 01:34:10 PM »
I think when it comes to the subject of diet, I wouldn't emphasise what's wrong to eat, but emphasise what's good. So don't demo what's wrong but show the wholegrain breads and the fruit that you're trying to emphasise.

But your example of your daughter's reaction was exactly my concern with a coach discussing diet with their skaters.

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 04:09:54 PM »
Sounds like your DD's coach is on the same wavelength as me. I'd expect coaches to be emphasising a healthy and balanced diet but not to be telling skaters to go on diets.
I did hear of one coach suggesting the skater wrote a food diary for a week as she was worried the girl was a little on the plump side. what the diary revealed was the teenager skipped lunch every day and then was starving when she got home from school and snacked until dinner time. I think the emphasis was then on eating lunch and not anything about dieting as the hope was in eating lunch she wouldn't be needing to snack so much after school.

As a follow up to this thread, I spoke to the girl's mom and it turns out she's got the wrong end of the message. The message was to limit candy, cakes and other high sugar snacks, and the mom guessed her DD would be the one to take away the wrong message. But that really was my worry. The coach is telling the message in such a way that the skaters (young children) are taking away the wrong message and it's a position of influence in these children's lives.

I don't have a problem with a food diary...even for the thin skaters. My daughter is thin but doesn't always make wise food choices. LOL! My daughter's coach is great. We're very happy with her. I am glad you got some clarification. Kids can definately get the wrong idea sometimes!

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 07:48:04 PM »
Six?

If I ever meet that coach, they are getting a piece of my mind from me. It is destructive to put a 6 year old on a diet. Kudos to the mother for flat out refusing- we need more mothers like her.

No coach should ever single out a skater when food is concerned. It is all too easy to put a girl on the road to an eating disorder.