You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Rink or club twitter / facebook / other social media?  (Read 1104 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Rink or club twitter / facebook / other social media?
« on: February 06, 2012, 01:03:36 AM »
I've always hoped for a close skating community that shares timely information and cheers on each other. Drama is fine as long as venom is minimized ;)

As AgnesNitt recently commented, my rink's official webpage has little to boast about. Volunteer skaters have since built a wiki site that is being used quite a bit to download forms and find out schedule changes etc., but it has not evolved into an active information hub that we've hoped for. (More volunteering especially needed)

Some rinks / skating clubs / local skating communities actively use social media to connect better with each other. What are your experiences with them? Pros and cons? Are they being used efficiently and appropriately? Thanks for sharing!

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Re: Rink or club twitter / facebook / other social media?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 01:10:44 AM »
Ours uses it - but mostly to congratulate hockey or skaters.  It's only post-able by rink management.  I like it - it keeps me up to date.

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 10:17:01 AM »
The Washington FSC's facebook page is fantastic. Run by Dina Gold, it is not only great for club information and events, but also is a terrific source for figure skating news, USFS updates, and etc. I think there's also a twitter feed. Anyone interested in setting up social media for their own club should check it out!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 10:24:34 AM »
I second the Washington FSC.  Salt Lake City FSC uses Facebook and other media well, too.  Agnes cited one of my favs: Ice Chalet in Knoxville, TN.  (She doesn't pull punches, does she? lol ;-) )

Metro Edge is primarily an ISI club and they are smart enough to include the curriculum on their website.  No dance step patterns, but still, they put the requirements for each level out there for all the skaters to read and try to achieve.
http://www.metroedgefsc.org/page/show/241417-ice-skating-institute
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com