You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Portraying a clown on ice?  (Read 1494 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Portraying a clown on ice?
« on: October 03, 2011, 08:26:58 PM »
I will skate the Harlequin solo in our Nutcracker show...!!! Costume and make up aside, I am really nervous about portraying a funny character. JUST. CAN'T. ACT.

Will consult Coach after music gets released by the end of this month, and hope to do some homework before then. Tips, suggestions, reference videos on expression truly appreciated! I lurve Kurt Browning's clown performance, but his moves are extremely difficult, sigh.

Will have to check the props policy, I remember seeing little toys last year but helium balloons are probably pushing it too far, haha. Hmm maybe balloons can give me some extra lift on jumps? OK I digress...

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Portraying a clown on ice?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 08:38:34 PM »
If you could get helium balloons with weights on them (so they float at a handy height rather than go up to the ceiling) I could imagine a cute routine where you skate around the balloons, pick them up, then drop them off again. All the while they could be hanging a few feet above the ice 'tied' in place by the weight and the string.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 09:01:53 PM »
I like the balloon idea a lot! (You might need to fill them at the rink - if you fill balloons in a warm room, they tend to shrink when you bring them into the cold.)  Full clown makeup minimizes the need for acting - your expression could be literally painted on.  The rest can be done with choreography.  Harlequin is often characterized as being quite nimble and acrobatic, so you could incorporate somersaults or even cartwheels if you can do them.  I like the idea of any kind of clown gimmick - maybe a sort of bottle dance with something balanced on your head (rigged, of course, so it can't really fall off), or spinning plates (again, rigged) - maybe check a magic store to get inspiration from whatever stage props they might have.  These kinds of things are so much fun, if you can let go and immerse yourself in the character.  Clowns can do all kinds of crazy things you would never do in real life!  I haven't skated a clown yet, but I've done characters with full-head masks - I think it's easier to be silly in obviously character costumes.   Good luck with it!

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 10:56:31 PM »
I would look to performances of the ballet for inspiration.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 05:04:47 AM »
I know a skater who did a clown routine, and she was "tight-rope walking" along one of the hockey lines.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 09:10:34 AM »
Hmmm great tips everyone, thank you a lot. Yeah in ballet this role has a lot of hopping and kicking, very nimble indeed.

Realistically, I can probably try to get a semi split jump, skipping, and a somewhat dynamic footwork with half jumps and bunny hops.

Also heard climbing out from a giant gift box and jesters baton, haha.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 01:43:23 AM »
No props per Coach, sniff. Will probably lobby the costume ladies then... I've been experimenting what my arms can safely do during gliding maneuvers without losing my balance, so far not much, hope practices will improve it. I'd love to throw imaginary plates on the spread eagle for sure. What can be done for shoot the duck or hydroblade? Look at me and applaud!! I can't hear you cheering! LOL