You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Alternating between skates  (Read 1390 times)

Offline cameocooper

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 0
Alternating between skates
« on: March 04, 2015, 04:49:48 AM »
I will be finally getting some new skates, which are a big jump in boots and blades, so I know I will have a hard time getting used to these new skates. Thing is I also skate with a synchro team, which I already one of the weakest members. So I don't want to wear new skates that are not broken in yet in synchro training and take a whole line down with me, so was thinking of wearing my old well worn in skates for synchro. was wondering if anyone when they have got new skates have alternated between their new skates and their old skates. does it make getting used to the new skates harder (the skates will be an different brand).

or is it better to bite the bullet and wear the new skates during synchro and trust that everyone should be able to stay on their feet if or when I fall.

Thanks,

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
Re: Alternating between skates
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 07:55:32 AM »
It's not quite the same thing, but I learned to switch from ice skates to PIC inlines. Both use Riedell boots, but different models.

In the beginning, it always took 5-10 minutes to adjust going from one to the other. In my case, the differences were more than just the boots though.

I think that your plan is a good one, but I predict that within a month, you'll feel prepared to make the switch to the new ones.
Bill Schneider

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 08:06:16 AM »
I always wear the old pair when breaking in the new pair. I don't want to go from doing everything to doing nothing in a lesson. Equally I have your concerns about taking out a block at synchro.
I don't have any problems switching between them.
I also now use two pairs of boots regularly as I have a pair for dance and another pair for free. I've never had an issue switching between them although if I switch mid session I do have to spend a couple of minutes readjusting. Putting the boots straight on for a session isn't ever a problem.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 12:01:06 PM »
I, too think you'll be right with switching.  Technically, when you break in new boots you're supposed to limit yourself to stroking and very very basic moves (Harlick has great info on this on their website).  So we used to spend 15-20 minutes of a session doing the break in, then switch to the old boots for the remainder.  So what you're about to experience is very very normal.

Also I do agree that for synchro it's best to stick with the old boots until you're very comfortable in the new ones.  When you've got others depending on you, it's important to be in skates that "know the moves" so to speak.  But you'll be able to stick with on pair soon.

Enjoy the new skates!  And may the break in process be quick and painless.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 06:38:40 PM »
I think you could switch and would be fine.
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 05:27:10 PM »
I go back and forth between my old Jackson freestyles (size 9.5) and new Jackson freestyles (size 9.0) when I skate at outdoor rinks.  I save the new boots/blades for indoor use.  When I revert to the old skates it does take 15 to 20 minutes to get used to them again, but I'd rather not skate over embedded leaves, twigs, dirt, etc. with my new(er) blades.  I don't think switching between the old and new equipment is detrimental to my overall skating progress, but then I'm a low level skater.  More advanced skaters might note a difference.