You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Anyone know of where to get good deals for high level blades?  (Read 3487 times)

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 3
  • live, breathe, eat figure skating
Hello everyone,

I know I'm not the only one here who is blade obsessed. So with that being said does anyone know here where to get deals for blades online (besides eBay or kinzies). I'm in need of pattern 99 or equivalent for cheaper price than 440 I know eclipse infinity is 325 but I still think that's too expensive for my budget. (Keeping in mind) I have to buy two because it would be for me and my partner. My partner is blade-less now because I took his old flat pattern 99s! :D. Let me know if you guys got the secret websites and deals lol!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
Re: Anyone know of where to get good deals for high level blades?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 09:18:02 PM »
I got a terrific deal on blades from www.tidewaterice.com about 18 months ago.  The company name is MDS Skate Sales.  You might have to contact them to get their 'best' price as the blade manufacturers were prohibiting retailers from posting their sale prices online (that's what I was told by someone else so that may not true or may be old information).  I had good customer service and received the blades quickly with no problems.

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 3
  • live, breathe, eat figure skating
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 09:35:11 PM »

I got a terrific deal on blades from www.tidewaterice.com about 18 months ago.  The company name is MDS Skate Sales.  You might have to contact them to get their 'best' price as the blade manufacturers were prohibiting retailers from posting their sale prices online (that's what I was told by someone else so that may not true or may be old information).  I had good customer service and received the blades quickly with no problems.

Was just on the website and apparently they've turned rather rudeish because they don't take calls anymore only emails and on top of that they post solid prices on the website...., thanks for trying though :)

Ripping the ice all day!

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 09:52:37 PM »
Hi, I dealt with them solely via email, not by phone.  Here's what I found on their website regarding pricing:

Before you buy Mk, Wilson or Paramount Blades, email us. We guarantee the lowest prices in the USA.

It may be worth an email to get a price from them.  Good luck with your blade shopping!

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 09:46:34 AM »

That's where I purchased my Gold Seals from 2.5 years ago - at a great price. I dealt with them only via email. Of course then Riedell came out with the Eclipse Pinnacle, which will probably be my next blade as that MSRP is lower then what MDS could offer me.

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 12:26:41 PM »
I just went on tidewater ice and they're closing out their blades! They have a number of them on sale!!

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 03:04:09 PM »
(h my page (see my signature), clink on "Ice Skating Links", then scroll down to the Ice Skating Shopping list. There are a bunch of stores.

There is always eBay.

But be careful to distinguish new and used blades.

Also, it is possible that some stores may sell blades on clearance or through the Internet if they are warped, which is problematical for skating, and may make them hard to sharpen well. It is not all that uncommon for a really good pro shop to return 15  - 30% of the blades due to warp, something that may be impractical for you to do. I'm not sure how you can deal with that problem if you want to go mail order. I think some of the biggies, like Rainbo, do take returns, but they may not be the cheapest.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 03:19:58 PM »
I just checked the tidewater ice place.  They have some interesting things to say at the bottom of their blades page.  I'll say that my experience jives with theirs.  Even from France, it's much, much cheaper to order MK/Wilson blades directly from dealers in the UK than from here in France; I've actually done this.  I'm starting to think about my next blades, and got a long lecture this summer on why Ultima are the way to go, but honestly, I can get the MK/Wilson equivalent at a fraction of the cost. 

The only things to watch out for when ordering from Europe are: taxes- usually (but not always) advertised prices include tax, and at 17+%, you just don't want to see the pre-tax price (unless you can get around paying it!). And customs, I have never had to deal with customs/duty from within the US, but here in Europe they are pretty intense about charging for it, and the filing fee can in some cases take a big bite out of the savings. 

It's worth considering, I think.  I have my favorite store in the UK, and am willing to share (not sure if it's allowed).  But if you decide to go this route, do make sure you have a long conversation with the owner about how to deal with quality control issues such as warping- hopefully they check carefully before they ship......

Offline artist007

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 07:29:06 PM »
Have you tried https://www.kinziescloset.com?  They have coupon codes they will email you if you ask for them!  They can't advertise them online, but will definitely give you discounts on both skates and blades if you email.

Offline Casey

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 08:18:29 AM »
The tidewaterice site had a link to this side, which looks to have a good price on Pattern 99's:

http://www.iceandrollerskates.com/product/john-wilson-blades-pattern-99

$341 shipped to the US.