You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Online Pro Shops in the US, New boots and blades  (Read 3197 times)

Offline lifebyliya

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 0
Online Pro Shops in the US, New boots and blades
« on: March 27, 2014, 09:53:18 AM »
Hi Guys! I'm new in here, so yeah. I'm from the Philippines and my Bronze Medallions have been giving up on me. There aren't any decent fitters here, and the prices are around 10thousand pesos more than what they cost in the US. (Thats roughly around $225 more) I'm in FS3 right now, doing FS4-5 skills as well. My coach recommended that I get Jackson Competitors, but I've been looking around at other boots as well, and I'm looking at the GAM Podium boots as another option since my feet are quite wide at the ball and narrow at the heel. Right now, I am leaning more towards the Podiums, but having a dilemma of what blades to put on them, since I'm on a budget. So here are a couple of questions:

1) Is it worth it thinking of getting the Podiums over Competitors? Is the GAM sizing similar to Jacksons too? I've had Jackson Mystiques in the past and am fitted as a size 8C
2) What blade would be ideal to mount on the Podiums in that case? The two I am looking at that are more or less within budget are the Ultima Aspire and the ISE Sterling. What is your feedback on these blades?
3) What online skate shops FROM THE USA have decent customer service over email? I have emailed a couple of shops yesterday and have received no response whatsoever from any of them :( The reason I'm looking for a US shop is because my Uncle is heading there this april and was hoping to save up on shipping fees and customs as well. And I'm looking for a skate shop that will help me to get my skates to my uncle on time. :)

I hope you find time to answer my inquiry! I'm quite desperate as both the boot and blade of my bronze medallions have been giving out during my lessons. :( I had such a hard time testing the other day :(

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
Re: Online Pro Shops in the US, New boots and blades
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 10:29:45 AM »
I'm in a similar position to you, outside the US and although there are plenty of stores that sell skates, no actual fitters.  I know I need at least a narrower than standard width (which they don't carry and were unable to measure me for), and possibly split width (which they'd never heard of), so I am very reluctant to order skates.  I'm strategizing for the next purchase, and if I'm stuck again, I think I will contact the companies directly.  I find the phone is much more efficient than emails.  Having said that, Jackson/GAM has been very responsive in the past to my emails, why not see if they have any advice for fitting given your situation.  I think I would also call, or email if you really need too, the guys at Rainbo sports- they're well known as good fitters and might have some way to help you, and if they have/can get what you need, even set you up with the boots.

I would try Kinzie's closet if you haven't already- they've been super responsive to me in the past.  If it comes to it, they will also do international deliveries (although I hear you on avoiding all that if possible).  I do not know how they are as fitters and what kind of advice/help they can give you.

It's a conundrum and very very frustrating.  I've entertained the idea of getting trained as a fitter and setting up some sort of service/skate shop!

As for blades you I don't know anything about the two you mentioned.  But you won't go wrong with either a Coronation Ace or a Professional.  They're very good dedicated beginner blades that will take you up through doubles.  But attention! Don't order blades until you know for sure what boots you'll have- the sizing can surprise you.

Good luck!

Offline lifebyliya

• Under the Edge
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 10:59:47 AM »
Loops, thank you so so much for the advice. It's funny, I did run across both Rainbo and Kinzie's closet, but oddly left them out from my email list. Rest assured I'm emailing them now. haha

Offline lifebyliya

• Under the Edge
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 11:35:40 AM »
also, I forgot. Edea's have been catching my eye- the overture or the chorus, actually: it's just been slightly confusing which suits the level I am in. Does anyone have feedback on what kind of feet they fit?

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 12:40:44 PM »
I have narrow heels, like a vast majority of the skating population!  I used to skate in Riedell AA's with the toebox stretched (before the days of split width).  Those skates actually still fit but are dead.

You're feet are undoubtedly different from mine, but here's my experience from when I tried on skates in Nov, I tried (all in C width):

Jackson (Elite Dance, Finesse and Premiere): comfortable in the front, slippy in the heel.  Room for my orthotics, but still slippy in the heel.
Edea (Flamenco): These are wide, very very slippy in the heel.
Graf (Dance): I do not have a Graf foot- these were just uncomfortable all over.
Risport (Dance): The one I ended up getting- too narrow in the front, but not slippy in the heel.   Work well with laces loose over the ball of my foot, just had them stretched 1/2 size and it's not enough, but I can pull the laces a little taught at least, so these are pretty narrow.

I wanted to try GAM, and it's a long story as to why I didn't.  Sum: they didn't bring one in my size to the store for me.  I wish I could comment on them for you, but can't.

If you read around on here, you'll see there's different factors that affect skate rigidity choices.  Your level is one, your size is another and your preference is yet another.  Look on Kinzies- they have some guidelines (but only guidelines) on there.  What's more important is the fit of the skate, which is why it's so important to try them on.  They also have the size charts, but given that my own measurements were way off of what ended up fitting, I'm not sure how much I'd trust using them solo. 

Also talk to Sampaugita- she's also in Asia somewhere and has gone through hassles to get skates.  She might have some sage advice for you.  If I knew how to ping/earburn her on here, I would.

Again, good luck!

Offline lifebyliya

• Under the Edge
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 09:43:49 AM »
Loops,
I did say I took your advice. Both Kinzie's closet and Rainbo have been extremely gracious and answered my queries almost immediately. I'm looking more at the GAMs than I am at the Jacksons at the moment, which really means I have to buy the blade separately. Kinzie's had said if I wanted to match the boot, the best bet would be Coronation Aces or Ultima Legacys, both of which are beyond my budget, considering that I am a student and have to pay for my own skates. BOOHOO. I seriously would love to have Coronation Aces :( The best bet I have at this moment is an Ultima Aspire XP. I'm still looking at the ISE Sterlings- most of the reviews I have heard about them say they are like Coronation Aces but there are only few reviews that I'm not so sure they're any better than the Ultima Aspire XP, since they seem to be sold at the same price. Anyone have thoughts on the ISE Sterling blades?

Also, I saw someone on ebay selling the exact same boot and size I was carrying and had asked her what size blade she'd mounted on the skates back then and said she had a 9 3/4 blade on it, while Kinzie's advised me to get a 10 1/4. Is there any rationale to mounting different sized blades? I'm so new to this considering all of my past skates have been purchased as sets.

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 08:05:05 PM »
I know that you want to buy everything from the US to save shipping costs etc this time round, but if you do end up wanting to switch to Coronation aces at a later date it may be worth checking out the UK prices too at that time. MK and Wilson are UK based so prices are around £100, about 3/4 of the US price. (Try Everglides - very helpful and great customer service and they ship abroad. Iceboxskating.co.uk have very competitive blade prices too.)

Offline mmady16

• Rink Rat
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 08:17:59 PM »
You could try SkatersLanding. Send them an email saying you're interested in purchasing skates, but not sure about sizing. They'll ask for measurements. When I sent them my measurements and they helped me in a matter of one night. Really quick and super nice people.

Good luck!

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 09:08:04 PM »
I think rainbo will also look at measurements or foot tracings via email if I'm not mistaken!