You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Adult skater buying new skates, wide feet with high arch  (Read 4009 times)

Offline nomsmom

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Adult skater buying new skates, wide feet with high arch
« on: March 30, 2014, 12:03:56 AM »
I skated for five years back when I was a teen. I wore Harlick High Testers for my main skates and Reidell Gold Stars as my backup pair.

I have had four back surgeries and want to get back on the ice as it's good mental therapy for me. I've been bedridden for fifteen months but I'm finally walking and out of my wheelchair. I've gained a LOT of weight and currently around 250 @ 5'8"

I have a high arch and wide foot (size 10 shoe, with a 10" ball circumference.) I sold my old skates JUST last year since my feet are now exponentially wider than they were when I was a teenager. I used to fit a 9B but now I'm almost off the stock boot charts.

There are so many new brands I've been checking out. I have had three pair of Reidells but I simply don't like their build quality compared to my Harlicks. Which manufacturer has the roomiest ball and toe area, and arch support? I will still want a stiff boot since that's what feels best, combined with my high weight. I'm open to a high tester even though I won't be jumping but I do want a little more flexibility than I used to have without compromising support.

I'm between Klingbeil and Harlick but also like some of the newer technology, such as Edea and Jackson. The problem is, there are unbelievably no shops in Atlanta. Any suggestions?

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 3
  • live, breathe, eat figure skating
Re: Adult skater buying new skates, wide feet with high arch
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 12:19:19 AM »
I'm an adult skater and I'm currently on reidell and I hate them for the fact that even their wide is too narrow for me.  I'm in the process of ordering jackson right now. Supposedly they are good for wide feet and also mid to high arches. So far from what I've read on this forum most people with wide feet like Jackson's. I'll let you know what I think about mine once I get them :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 01:23:29 AM »
I would suggest a custom or an X-line Harlick boot with custom arch inserts (or Superfeet at the very least).  Their "sock liner" is a thin piece of leather that offers no arch support whatsoever.   I also heard that Jacksons could be good, but the heel gets loos fast.

Riedell is definitely too narrow.
Some of the comments I heard about Klingbeil and Edea is that they have more room in front of the toes.  I personally do not like that room, but skaters who had those skates specifically mentioned this room as an advantage.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 02:32:46 AM »
Isn't Kinzie's Closet in Atlanta???

Good luck with your boot search!!  And yay you for getting through what sounds like quite the surgical oddessy! 

Offline nomsmom

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 03:55:39 AM »
As far as I can tell, they don't have a retail location.

I, too, do not like room in front of my toes. I wish I could try Jackson's locally. My only complaint is their appearance. Nothing beats a traditional look for me. Jackson tends to have bold golden logos and look more like golf cleats depending on the model. Their higher end models seem pretty nice but at that price, I'm not far off from going to custom Harlicks.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 06:31:31 AM »
As far as I can tell, they don't have a retail location.

Well that's a  bummer.  They're super nice though, and very helpful.  I wonder what they'd say if you rang them up and asked to stop by?

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Total GOE: 11
  • Ice is Nice
    • Allocca Biotechnology, LLC
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 08:50:48 AM »
Off the shelf skates were too narrow for me in the toes too. So, I ordered custom Riedell, which are guaranteed to fit or they will make a new boot.

John :)

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 10:31:03 AM »
I believe Kinsie's Closet is actually in Augusta, about 1.5 hrs from Atlanta. I don't think they have a retail location.
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.