You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Anyone gone from parabolics back to regular blades?  (Read 1469 times)

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
Anyone gone from parabolics back to regular blades?
« on: August 21, 2013, 03:39:04 PM »
Well, it's that time again to bite the bullet and get new blades. I'm currently on Phantom parabolics (having switched from Visions), and I absolutely hated them at first. I had actually ordered the regular Phantoms, but due to a mix-up and timing, I wasn't able to exchange them and wait for the right blades, so I took the parabolics. It wasn't a good transition, and it took forever to be able to spin on them. Jumps I think improved, but spinning took a good 6 months to feel back to normal.

I'm looking at going back to either regular Phantoms or Gold Stars. Obviously there will be a transition from a flat blade to a new blade. However, I'm going back and forth.  I know many people don't feel a difference going from regular blades to parabolic, but I definitely did. So I'm worried that going back is going to cause a similar issue as I'm used to the parabolic now.

Anyone have experience with this? I hate to spend the $$$$ on the regular blades and then they not work.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Anyone gone from parabolics back to regular blades?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 04:09:02 PM »
I would expect that the adjustment was just due to the different phantom spin rocker profile (and it is different from vision, which is more like the professional and the rest of MK's line) and not because their parabolic.

The only skaters I've known with parabolic blades have said that they've noticed no difference, however they're not exactly high level skaters, so it's hard to say if someone at a higher level would appreciate any difference.

I had no trouble adjusting from flat Phantom Specials to new Phantom profile Paramounts.. I was spinning comfortably right away.  Everything felt strange at first but I was also adjusting from dovetailed blades to not, so the bite angle wasn't the same and it took a few sharpenings to dial in the ROH that made me happy.

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
Re: Anyone gone from parabolics back to regular blades?
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 09:39:04 PM »
You may be right about the spin rocker profile - i know nothing about the difference. That's kind of why I'm thinking of staying in Phantoms, just changing to the non-parabolics. However, I also like the gold stars and they seem pretty similar. How do you find out (or where do you find) the differences in the profile between the blades?