You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Anyone know what happened to rich at mennen?  (Read 1547 times)

Offline mikebnj

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Anyone know what happened to rich at mennen?
« on: December 23, 2012, 08:20:17 AM »
My son has been skating for four years and we have alway gotten his skates at mennen arena pro shop from rich.   Soon after middlbury took over I believe they parted ways.   Does anyone know if he is still in the business?   I heard he was going to start something on his own.   I don need skates quite yet, but want to get a head start on either finding him, or someone new......

My son like Jackson boots.....

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Anyone know what happened to rich at mennen?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 10:40:33 AM »
Sorry to hear that - Rich Liebenow is a great skate guy and a partner in C&L Sports.  He and his late partner (Al Corona) fitted me for my first pair of "real" figure skates when they ran the pro shop at the original Sky Rink - the 16th floor of the Lerner Building in Manhattan!  He's sharpened and adjusted my skates many times over the years, but I moved away some time ago and haven't been in contact.

If it's any consolation, he and his late partner, moved shop many times over the years.  Their clientele follows them, so when he sets up a new shop the news will get around.  Ask the figure skating coaches if they have a direct contact number or email for Rich. 

This is a great find: an interview with Rich for the NY Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/29/business/my-job-a-life-of-boots-and-blades.html?n=Top%2fNews%2fScience%2fTopics%2fIce

"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline platyhiker

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 11
Re: Anyone know what happened to rich at mennen?
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 11:15:10 AM »
The article that FigureSpins posted a link to gives his full name:  Rich Liebenow.  Doing a google search on that turns up his profile on LinkedIn, which lists him as the owner of "C&L Sports".  If you set up an account on LinkedIn (free!), you have access to a "Send InMail" button which allows you to contact him.