You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Blade guards , soakers and boot covers  (Read 4076 times)

Offline dandoona1998

• Ice skating is my life :)
  • Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Blade guards , soakers and boot covers
« on: September 28, 2012, 03:18:42 PM »
So I was shopping at my pro shop today and I got a new pair of skate guards so I was wondering how many skate guards , soakers and boot covers skaters own lol I know this is random and stupid but I would love it if you can share some picks of your skates with different guards and covers on and share how many colors u have . ^^ I have 2 pairs of blade guards ( light pink centipide and a neon blue double deluxe ) , 1 pair of soakers ( black with ri-sport logo in rhinestones on them ) and 2 pairs of boot covers 1 black velvet and 1 neon pink lycra )

Offline Janie

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 45
    • Jumps and falls of an adult figure skater
Re: Blade guards , soakers and boot covers
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 03:52:07 PM »
I have 1 pair of gel pink skate guards, and 1 pair of pink soakers. Yes I like pink.
Not a fan of boot covers so haven't got any. (Guess who won't be buying over the boot tights!) I know they protect the boot from getting scratched up and dirty and it's probably a good idea, but I just don't like the look, don't know why.

A lot of people seem to own more than one pair of guards/soakers etc. Is there any reason for that besides liking to see a change? (I have no objections to it, just curious!)
My figure skating blog! http://janieskate.blogspot.com/

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 03:58:48 PM »
I don't know!  I have at least 3 pair of soakers, but probably more stashed away somewhere.  I have several pair of used guards, and a few pair of new from when I got them cheap at a PSA conference.  Younger DD was really into boot covers, so I have at least 5 or 6 pair floating around, but never use them myself, except for the Ice Lights.
My glass is half full :)

Offline RosiePosie.iskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 04:05:55 PM »
I've had the same pair of soakers for as long as I've been skating! (Almost 2 years now!  :D) They are purple, with green on the inside, and they have my name on them. I also own another pair of soakers with the US. Flag on them, but I have never used them, I just used them as a backup in case my feet grew, and I had to get larger skates that wouldn't fit in my old soakers. Turns out, my feet have only grown 1/2 size and hence, no need for the backup pair. Then I own a pair of sparkly sequin soakers that I made myself. They are blue and silver, and I used washcloths inside.

Altogether, I've owned 3 pairs of hardguards. My first pair were Green Glitz, but they got a whole in the toe and the heel, so I had to get new ones. The second pair were Green Tie Dyez. (yes, I love green! :) ) But, I retired those because I found it hard to keep the insides clean. My pair I use now are Green Glitz with gold sparkles, and they are working rather nicely!  ;D
Don't practice it until you don't do it wrong, practice until you can't do it wrong.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 04:56:27 PM »
I've had the same pair of soakers for 17 years :P

Of course I currently have 3 pairs because I have 3 pairs of skates with blades on them, but that old pair is still in use.

Hard guards.. I tend to lose these a lot.  I have two pairs at the moment, but only because I don't like and don't use one pairs.

0 pairs of boot covers.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 06:39:52 PM »
I go through soakers and guards like Kim Kardashian goes through boyfriends. I need to stock up on gloves too.

Just wanted to mention that I've seen plenty of Rockerz in the wild out there, but no kootsu guards.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 08:51:03 PM »
I've owned a bunch of hard guards. For awhile I couldn't go three months without my hard guards getting stomped on and broken at a public session. Then when I got my current pair of skates, the blades were too short (my old skates had been too big) for my turquoise guards, so I switched to my current purple pair.

I hate buying new guards. They're such a pain to cut down.

I usually use my VT Hokies soakers that another skater made for me last Christmas  :D.

I also have a pair of soakers that are light blue with different colored stripes and a yellow terry lining.

I used walkabouts when I first started skating, but hard guards and soakers have so many more color options!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 09:14:16 PM »
My black one-piece hard guards last forever, only use them couple times a year during the ice show - really afraid of stepping on the ice with them. I'm actually trying hard to lose this pair of hard guards, one of them is cut too short by accident. Yet, they are still hanging around.

The first pair of soakers is colorful cartoon design off eBay, currently using them all the time. Recently also got a pair of black soakers with hard bottoms, those do not seem to last very long but I haven't been using them much anyways.

I've gone thru quite a few pairs of black boot covers, they are used every practice and either get cut all over or worn out at the trim. Also have a pair of beige one to go under OTB tights to make the holes less noticeable.

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 07:06:02 AM »
My dark blue centipede style guards are now 2 years old and look it - they have a Cor Ace shaped toe-pick holes and look a bit sorry for themselves.

I tried to replace them with a pair of 2 part pale blue ones. I have 11inch blades (big feet! :blush:) so on the widest setting they still have an inch+ gap between the 2 parts when they are on. They involved a complete upper body workout (and lots of hopping about / leaning against things) while using both hands to try and remove them again rinkside (which kept a few parents entertained with my antics!). I gave up and went back to my origional pair very quickly! :P

I have 2 pairs of bootcovers. I used to wear a pair of white ones to protect my 1st pair of skates as they got scratched a lot. When I switched to my current skates I think the blade was positioned a little different front to back and I really don't scratch up my skates very often anymore so I don't use them now. I have a red pair for christmas though!

Soakers = 1 pair cow print fur. ;D On the look out for a back-up pair (or some fun material to make some) though.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 07:41:31 PM »
She has black boot covers (a couple pair since they are usually soaked after she skates and they need a day to dry), an extra pair of guards half pink and half pearl(she tends to get a pair of guards thrown in by the skate shop when she buys new skates), and her soakers are pandas.

The skate/pro shop puts the guards together for us. 

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 01:06:45 PM »
She has black boot covers (a couple pair since they are usually soaked after she skates and they need a day to dry). 

Yeah finally someone else with black boot covers! I love the look of black pants + black boot covers but for a long while was the only one doing so at my rink :)  A kid once told me "girls cannot wear black skates" lol

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 01:36:23 PM »
She had white but they turned a horrible color overtime (reddish/orange stains).  She likes black because it makes her legs look very, very long with black leggings.  And they never change color from chemicals in the ice!

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 05:02:35 AM »
 2 pairs of blade guards and 2 pairs of soakers. I'm not even going into how many gloves are missing their pairs...  :-[

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 08:37:57 AM »
Boot covers: 2 pairs, 1x black, 1x green. I don't wear them much.

Blade guards: 1 pair, green.

Soakers: 3 pairs technically, 1x purple, 2x green, but one of the green pairs and the purple pair are riddled with holes, plus the purple pair don't really fit my blades.

I don't believe in wasting my money and it bamboozles me to see some skaters with a different pair of guards for every day of the week...
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 09:18:19 AM »
I just bought the only hard guards and soakers at the pro shop that were long enough to fit my blades. The soakers are navy terry cloth with a black tape ribbon reinforcement, very understated. The guards are kind of a light bright green. I guess one advantage to big feet is that I didn't have to cut the guards down! Though until the springs loosened up a bit, it was a struggle to get them on!
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.