You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: ankle buzzer  (Read 4017 times)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
ankle buzzer
« on: January 05, 2012, 01:36:39 PM »
My skater had the opportunity to try this out this week:
http://www.shoprainbo.com/shop/site/product.cfm/id/C856E52C-FC23-2BA1-BC6ED3B9EE986F00

She thought it was very helpful.  She would like one to own, but it's too much money right now.  If she keep asking she can put it on her birthday wish list!  The chimes were a little hard to hear, but she could hear them.  She said after a couple jumps she was chiming every time. 

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
Re: ankle buzzer
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 02:19:01 PM »
At our rink we do pretty much the same thing with a squeaky rubber dog toy.  We just stick it in wherever needed - at the ankle, or tucked in a top if we're working on pulling the arms in.

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 02:47:01 PM »
My ankle buzzer is one of the older models - the "buzzer" wore out. I replaced it with a croaking frog voice. You should see the looks on nearby faces when I succeed in getting my feet together in the air position. The kids just can't figure out who let the frog in the building. They can't tell I'm wearing the thing because it blends in with my black pants. My coach & I have a hilarious time every time I wear it for a jump lesson on the harness.  ;D

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 11:13:00 AM »
Let's bump up this thread too!

I am assuming the ankle buzzer is most helpful for axels and up. Are they realistic to single jumps? One of Audrey Weisiger's jump drill videos shows single loop with ankle touch, and then she goes on to say single toe and single salchow are really difficult with ankle contact.

I am having a really hard time achieving tight pulled-in back scratch spins, would this device help? It appears that some also use it on sit spins to make sure the knees touch :)

At our rink we do pretty much the same thing with a squeaky rubber dog toy.  We just stick it in wherever needed - at the ankle, or tucked in a top if we're working on pulling the arms in.

At $65 it's indeed pricey. How do you secure the squeaky toy in place? I imagine it's easy to sew a velcro holder if needed :)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 12:00:26 PM »
How do you secure the squeaky toy in place? I imagine it's easy to sew a velcro holder if needed :)

Lots of kids here will duct tape them around the leg.  Others use leggings to just hold them in place via compression- just like a skating safe pad.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 04:15:11 PM »
Lots of kids here will duct tape them around the leg.  Others use leggings to just hold them in place via compression- just like a skating safe pad.

I suppose boot cover should work too, then!

Offline RosiePosie.iskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 04:19:52 PM »
I've never heard of this before! It sounds really cool! (and fun!)  ;D
Don't practice it until you don't do it wrong, practice until you can't do it wrong.

Offline jenniturtle

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 03:25:31 PM »
my DD put a dog toy squeaker in an ipod holder. it fits around her ankle with the velcro that comes with the holder. It works great and was a lot cheaper than buying a buzzer.