You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: credit for attempting jumps/spins (RJS)  (Read 1371 times)

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 8
credit for attempting jumps/spins (RJS)
« on: December 30, 2011, 08:43:25 AM »
In RJS, do I get any credit for an attempt at a jump or spin even if its not done to the required standard (eg, sit spin too high, jump not landed)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Re: credit for attempting jumps/spins (RJS)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 11:50:48 AM »
In RJS, do I get any credit for an attempt at a jump or spin even if its not done to the required standard (eg, sit spin too high, jump not landed)

It's difficult to say either way as it's more about the whole package. My first competition was against a girl who was attempting a layback. I was attempting a sit spin and had an iffy flip jump (which worked that day). My coach made me watch her skate because as she said while the girl was skating it would be interesting to see how the judges ranked us. I was green with envy as I could see she was attempting harder elements than me, but as my coach was pained to tell me, I actually skated my program nicer. There was more power and flow. In the end I was 3rd and this other girl was 4th. The lesson my coach was teaching me was that quality can beat attempted difficulty.
Not sure if that really answers your question, but it's tricky to tell from the marks what exactly is getting credit and what isn't under RJS (6.0).
However if you're allowed two spins and they have to be different positions, I think it's better to use both spins and have one as the iffy sit spin, than to only have the basic upright if you're competing. And if you see the program and the competition as a way of testing out new elements then having an iffy new jump in the program helps you learn to get that jumper higher and faster (and landed).

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 01:24:42 PM »
Thanks!

I don't expect to win or place or do well at all, I was just curious

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 10:57:58 AM »
I tend to trust my coach. My job is to make sure they've got the adult competition requirements and remember what they say (they're great at the kids competitions but there's never enough adult competitions for them to learn the requirements so I figure I'm old enough to take care of that bit of the prep). Their job is to work out which elements are going to be best to put in the program. My program from last season had a camel spin as the second spin. It's iffy. I can easily replace it with an upright and not upset the program. As the coach was watching the warmup she was able to make the suggestion that switching the spins might be beneficial, but it was left as my decision. For the next competition it just got switched out.