You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: New skates?  (Read 1178 times)

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
New skates?
« on: September 02, 2014, 10:19:15 PM »
Seems like lots of people are talking about new skates now… looks like it may be my turn!  Got my skates two years ago from the mostly-hockey pro shop at my rink.  I've never been sure they fit right.  I've had one coach say they're too big (with laces loose and my foot slid all the way forward she could fit a finger behind my heel), but a guy at the figure skating shop said no, they're ok (removed the insole and had me stand on it and declared my foot the right size for the insole).  But a while back I noticed my heel slipping so I added an extra insole, which helped for a while.  Yesterday I mentioned to the fitter/sharpener that I had had to add another half insole to the back to keep my heel from slipping (so I now have Superfeet and one and a half cheap CVS insoles in there). He measured me on the Jackson measurer and I came out to a 7.5B.  My skates are 8C.  So he's recommending new skates.  I've got Jackson Classiques right now; he was recommending the Elle.  I know it's a better skate in general (leather sole, etc.), but it's also less stiff than the Classique (30 vs 45, I think?).  So my question is, should that be a concern?  Will it be a problem to move to something less stiff than what I've been using?  Would I be better off looking at the Freestyle (about the same stiffness as the Classique)?  I'm also thinking about trying the Riedell 223 or 229, just because I've never even tried a different brand (the hockey shop only had Jacksons).

Also, my right foot turns in slightly, which makes outside edges difficult… I've had one coach say I should think about getting the blade moved (which can't be done in the Classique), and another tell me I just need to build ankle strength so I stop letting the ankle drop.  Elsewhere I've read that it's better to make adjustments to the insoles than the blade.  Thoughts?  This will probably be an issue no matter which boot I settle on.

For the record, I'm working on skills around ISI beta/gamma and a bit of Freestyle 1, or USFSA Adult 3/4.  Proceeding at tortoise pace, so serious jumps and spins are a long way off, if ever.  Not planning to rush into this, but I figure I ought to start thinking about it.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
Re: New skates?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 04:09:45 AM »
I supinate, and this summer my US fitter took one look at me skating, and moved my blades a few millimeters to the outside AND shimmed them.  It made a huge difference (I can hold an outside edge!!!!) Before doing this I asked him about insoles, and he felt blade adjustments would be better.  I think most insoles are designed for those who pronate anyway (???).  Plus I don't have room in my skates for insoles so......

I do lots of ankle strengthening exercises.  I'm sure they're good for me but over the course of a 1/2 season they didn't affect at all my ability to compensate for my supination.  Maybe I didn't do them long enough, I dunno.

I suspect this is a common problem though, and the optimal solution varies by skater.  When you get your new skates, see what the options are and proceed from there.

If shifting the blade is a potential necessity, then I would make sure whatever boots you get have that option.  Leather soles will work, PVC, I'm not sure (someone else here will know though...your fitter should also be able to steer you well on this).  As for stiffness, the proshop should be able to help with that, but just in case, SarahSpins gives a pretty good test- with the skates on, stand with both heels on the ground.  Bend your knees as far forward as you can.  If you can get them over your toes, it's good.  If you can't, too stiff.   For me, there were some that I was worried about creasing in the store, so I knew they weren't stiff enough.  So try the Elle, Freestyle and whatever other models and see how you do.  If you have narrow feet, the Riedells may work for you too.  It's all about feel at the end of the day.

Take the time you need to do this, and have fun!!!!

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
Re: New skates?
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 10:09:53 AM »
Thanks!  Looking forward to it!