You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: International Travel with Skates  (Read 4835 times)

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
International Travel with Skates
« on: May 06, 2014, 03:56:11 PM »
So here is a question:
Does anyone know where I can find information on traveling Internationally with skates? I have not been able to find information on the Quantas and British Airlines websites.

I know TSA says it is okay, but I am interested in the European and Australian rules regarding this topic.

I'm flying to Sydney for an observational run before going to a skating camp in LA, and I am scared to death that my skates are going to get left somewhere along the way so I want to take them with me as a carry on.  However, I've called British Airlines and Quantas and neither airline can give me a direct answer. One of the representatives even stated to me " Well, as long as the dimensions do not exceed the carry on allowance you are allowed". Are you kidding me???? Does anyone know of skates that would exceed 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 18in x 10in)???  or weight more than 23kg???

Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
Re: International Travel with Skates
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 09:33:03 PM »
You'll have to pack them in the hold I think, sorry!

Autralian government rules say they are not allowed in cabin baggage.
Uk government rules are less clearly written but ban blades over 6cm. The Northern Irish (still part of the UK) government site explicitly say no to skates in the cabin. European Union rules are akin to the UK government's but an old EU press release which explicitly mentions ice skates as a no-no in the cabin.

British Airways site says no blades over 6cm but many other UK / European airlines explicitly state no skates in the cabin, they must be in your checked in hold luggage.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 12:36:59 AM »
I've always had them in the hold. I put hard guards on the blades (and the soakers over the top) and stuff the boots with socks. I make sure the blades are facing the centre of the case (stops holes if the guards do come off!) and the boots are sitting on nice soft clothes and are equally covered. Never had a problem (although I think I did get a hole in the case once when I forgot to put the hard guards on and flew in soakers).

Offline PhysicsOnIce

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 05:05:40 AM »
I knew you all would know more about this topic than the customer care agents.

I was afraid that no would be the answer, but at least it is a clear cut answer. I just remember, when American Airlines lost/left behind Tara Lipinski's skates before Worlds. I don't think I could handle that stress. Obviously my camp is not as important as Worlds, but it is still an investment. 

I've always had them in the hold.

I don't suppose that they can get gate checked right?
Do you declare them at check-in? I'm tempted to declare them just so that the companies are aware of and don't get freaked out when are screened.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 06:27:04 AM »
I've never gate checked anything, but always feel I'd rather they were in the middle of a big case stuffed with clothes for padding than in a small bag which gets tossed around by baggage handlers. I'm not sure how you could gate check them as you can't get to the gate without clearing security which is why you're going to be checking them anyway.

And to be frank the thought of lugging them around an airport gives me nightmares. They weigh a ton and you always end up walking miles to and from the plane so I don't want to carry them further than I have to (I have back and shoulder problems). 
In all the times I've travelled (and I used to do a lot of travel for work) I've only had my bag miss the plane once and it arrived on the next flight so wasn't really a big issue (although I did steal my sister's clothes while waiting for my bag to arrive - I now carry overnight wear in hand luggage in case it happens again).
Having done some work on baggage handling systems, my advice is to arrive in good time for the flight to get the bag checked in. Things are most likely to go wrong if you arrive with only minutes to spare. It's a lot easier for you to run for a plane than it is for your bag to work it's way around the conveyor system to the plane.

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 06:33:23 AM »
As Taka said, ice skates are specifically prohibited as carry-on under Australian regulations, so have to be packed in your checked luggage.

You do not need to declare them at check-in, or to Customs on arrival in Sydney (but, off-topic, please do take the questions on the Customs Declaration form seriously and answer honestly if you wish to avoid a fine).

If you arrive at the airport in plenty of time for check-in, have allowed plenty of time between any connecting flights, and your bags are labelled with your name, it is very unlikely your luggage will be lost. In many years of travelling, I have had my baggage delayed a few times, but on those occasions it has always reached me safely within 12 hours of arrival. My husband used to travel regularly for work, making several overseas trips a year (between Australia/Europe, Britain/Europe, Britain/US, Australia/US) and has never had a bag lost. This includes lots of trips carrying skates in checked bags.   

Also, please excuse my pedantry, but its Qantas, not Quantas. Qantas was originally an acronym for Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Service, hence does not have a 'u' after the 'q'.

EDITED TO ADD:Husband said under no circumstances check your skates at the gate, because if you check them at the gate the bag then gets thrown down a chute two stories to the ground. Which would be a great way to get your blades damaged. Much better to pack them well, padded with clothes, in a hard suitcase with a proper tracking label applied at check-in.

Offline PhysicsOnIce

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 10:26:48 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.
The reason why I am trying to find the best way of doing this is that, my mother has worked with American Airlines for 15+ years as a Baggage Claim/Reservations Agents, and I've heard my share of horror stories.

I've travelled a significant amount of time for work and leisure travel, and in-fact travel as a non-revenue passenger most of the time.  In this case, I'll be traveling with my mom and using her Non-Rev tickets. This means that unlike the standard  passenger bags, which are loaded prior/during boarding,  my bags are often the LAST thing that gets up on the plane, as the ticket agent at the gate is handing me my boarding pass and pushing me through the door for an on-time push back.  AA has a positive match requirement for international travel which means that a bag can't travel without a passenger, but even then mistakes do occur and specially with non-rev travellers.  It has happened rather often that either due to weight restrictions or not enough time before push back, my bags have been left and arrive on the next flight.  However that being said I have had my bag end up in Hong Kong before when my final destination was Chicago.... 

You do not need to declare them at check-in, or to Customs on arrival in Sydney (but, off-topic, please do take the questions on the Customs Declaration form seriously and answer honestly if you wish to avoid a fine).

Being an Airport Kid, I've basically grown up at airports and trans-Atlantic flights. I ALWAYS take customs seriously...often more so than normal. This is however, the first time I travel internationally with my skates, and unfortunately it happens to be with airlines which my mom does not know the exact requirements.

Also, please excuse my pedantry, but its Qantas, not Quantas. Qantas was originally an acronym for Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Service, hence does not have a 'u' after the 'q'.

Quantas was a misspelling, my apologies.

I do appreciate all your help though. Thanks.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 10:46:28 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.
The reason why I am trying to find the best way of doing this is that, my mother has worked with American Airlines for 15+ years as a Baggage Claim/Reservations Agents, and I've heard my share of horror stories.

I've travelled a significant amount of time for work and leisure travel, and in-fact travel as a non-revenue passenger most of the time.  In this case, I'll be traveling with my mom and using her Non-Rev tickets. This means that unlike the standard  passenger bags, which are loaded prior/during boarding,  my bags are often the LAST thing that gets up on the plane, as the ticket agent at the gate is handing me my boarding pass and pushing me through the door for an on-time push back.  AA has a positive match requirement for international travel which means that a bag can't travel without a passenger, but even then mistakes do occur and specially with non-rev travellers.  It has happened rather often that either due to weight restrictions or not enough time before push back, my bags have been left and arrive on the next flight.  However that being said I have had my bag end up in Hong Kong before when my final destination was Chicago.... 
Being an Airport Kid, I've basically grown up at airports and trans-Atlantic flights. I ALWAYS take customs seriously...often more so than normal. This is however, the first time I travel internationally with my skates, and unfortunately it happens to be with airlines which my mom does not know the exact requirements.

Quantas was a misspelling, my apologies.

I do appreciate all your help though. Thanks.

Mistakes do happen, but with the security requirements of passengers and bags travelling together, they're getting a lot better (and that's all airlines not just AA needing bags and passengers fly together - Lockerbie is the reason why). If you pack your skates well in the suitcase then at least they'll be safe from the baggage handlers. 
And while you've heard the horror stories of bags not making it, the majority of passengers don't have any problems. You just don't hear about those cases.

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 07:28:07 AM »
I've travelled from Boston to Europe many times with my skates in checked baggage (i don't even do all the fancy packing people have suggested, just stuff them in with my clothes) and never had a problem.  I think the main issue comes when you're changing planes and don't have a lot of time between flights;  then your bags may not have enough time to make it off one plane and onto the the next, in which case they'd just come on the next flight.  In fact, I've only carried them once (because my checked bag was pushing the weight limit with gifts that couldn't be carried on)  and won't do it again.  The TSA agent had to call her supervisor to clear the skates through the x-ray; the bag was heavy and barely fit into the overhead bin even though it was well within the size restrictions and  hauling the extra bag through the airport was more exercise than I wanted after a long flight. 

Also keep in mind that on-board storage on most European planes is a lot smaller than on the intercontinental planes and the rules are very different within the European Union.   Checking baggage with slkates inside makes everything easier and the chances of them getting lost are pretty slim.

Offline PhysicsOnIce

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 10:17:08 PM »
Just in case anyone was wondering... Qantas/British Airlines left/misplaced/lost my skates!!!!!
We arrived in Sydney yesterday after 27 hours of flight time with two connections one in London (LHR) and the other in Dubai (DXB), much to my not surprise, the only bag missing from over 400 passangers... was the mine. Yep the one with the skates in it. At the current moment there is no record of my bag having left Brussels. "We have absolutely no clue where this bag is at the moment". Considering my skates are less than five months old I really hope they find it. I don't care about anything else in there, It's only sports clothes and off ice equipment, but my skates.... that I mind!!!!!

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 10:53:25 PM »
Oh no!!! I hope they find them quickly!

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 12:07:20 AM »
Oh Crap.  I just saw this thread, and was going to ask you if you could send them on ahead to LA via post (my mother has done that sort of thing for me before).

fwiw, when I've had lost bags, it's because they didn't make onto my flight, and up to now have always turned up within 24 hours.  I presume your bag has your name and email at least in big block letters plus the gate tag.  They should be able to find it. Praying/crossing fingers and toes that you have the same juju.

Meanwhile try to have a good time in Oz!

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 01:35:48 AM »
Just in case anyone was wondering... Qantas/British Airlines left/misplaced/lost my skates!!!!!
We arrived in Sydney yesterday after 27 hours of flight time with two connections one in London (LHR) and the other in Dubai (DXB), much to my not surprise, the only bag missing from over 400 passangers... was the mine. Yep the one with the skates in it. At the current moment there is no record of my bag having left Brussels. "We have absolutely no clue where this bag is at the moment". Considering my skates are less than five months old I really hope they find it. I don't care about anything else in there, It's only sports clothes and off ice equipment, but my skates.... that I mind!!!!!

When Air Canada lost my bag, they told me they had no idea where the bag was, but it was actually sitting on the next plane to arrive. While it's highly stressful when this happens, if the bag is properly barcoded and has your name on it, it will find you.

Offline PhysicsOnIce

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 02:51:51 AM »
When Air Canada lost my bag, they told me they had no idea where the bag was, but it was actually sitting on the next plane to arrive. While it's highly stressful when this happens, if the bag is properly barcoded and has your name on it, it will find you.

Yes, I know. The only problem is that I am only in Australia for 6 days and travel time from Bru to here is 27 hours (which actually breaks down to two day difference due to the time zones and departure time of flights), which means that there is a very narrow window of time for them to find it and get it here, pass customs and quarantine (according to the staff this could take several hours), and get it to my hotel before I leave.  This would not be a problem if I was returning home, but I am not I am going straight from a work visit in Australia to a skating camp in the US... with only a weekend in between. Assuming it is properly barcoded, the next arrival time is 5 am tomorrow ( with two flights a day arriving from LHR) but they still don't know if it is on that plane or not.

Offline Loops

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 04:44:11 AM »
Worst case scenario- is there someone in Brussels who can pick it up and fedex you your skates?

Still crossing all digits that they find you in Australia.......

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2014, 07:15:41 PM »
Oh dear physicsonice - what a welcome to Oz!!  Hope the skates rejoin you before you head to your camp...

Offline PhysicsOnIce

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 03:08:11 PM »
Little Update... I got a nice text message this morning at ~8:00 am saying my missing bag request is being processed. I hope this means that it is somewhere on a plane to Aussie Land!!! I do have to say Australia is pretty nice though.

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 04:06:44 PM »
Every time I see a post in this thread I hope it's news that your skates have arrived. I hope they do soon! And I hope that their absence is not taking away from your enjoyment of your trip!
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline PhysicsOnIce

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 05:37:59 AM »
YAY!!!!! I just got a call from the Hotel saying that my bag has arrived. Assuming that noone took my skates out of the bag, that means MY SKATES ARE HERE!!!! I'll let you guys know if they are infact in my bag, when I get back to the hotel in the morning. Cheers :WS: :WS: :WS:

Offline Loops

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 07:02:58 AM »
Well, that's part of the information we're all waiting for!!!  Yay to your bag getting there!  I hope your skates are still all comfy cozy in it.

Offline robinsnest

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 08:35:57 AM »
 :stars:
2016: Year 3 on ice!
Pre-Bronze MITF 4/15, Prelim Dances 4/15, Pre-Bronze Dances 12/15, Pre-Bronze FS 5/16, Bronze MITF 5/16, Bronze Dances 9/16
Working on Silver MITF & Pre-Silver Dance
And mom to twin 11-year-old skaters, FS1

Offline PhysicsOnIce

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 01:50:42 AM »
 :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars:
SAFE AND SOUND!!!
with a handwritten note stating, "Extensive Appologies from QANTAS Airlines Baggage Services"

Offline Loops

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 02:12:57 AM »
Excellent.  Soooooo happy to hear this.  Go have a beer.  Or wine, or whatever you partake of!

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 08:38:07 AM »
Yesssss!!!!! Happy skating to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2014, 02:32:38 AM »