You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Do adult skater's feet grow?  (Read 10070 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Do adult skater's feet grow?
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 05:59:03 PM »
Easiest thing to do short term is take the insole out.

I've had to do that when I had a fit issue due to a swollen toe. Then a nail or brad or whatever came up and stabbed me. I did a temp fix and bought a better fitting boot.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2012, 06:04:05 PM »
My feet got a half size bigger with each pregnancy.  They also got a bit wider.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2012, 07:00:03 PM »

Maybe we need something to squash that boot height down to create more room across the width/length, lol.

I used Superfeet and slightly thicker socks (bamboo socks) instead of tights or nylons...

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2012, 09:23:31 PM »
I used Superfeet and slightly thicker socks (bamboo socks) instead of tights or nylons...
I think you guys need a visual example of my joke: think of stepping on a tin can so you crush it a bit. 
The top gets lowered and the sides spread out.
That's what I was joking about with squashing the top of the boot to widen the footbed to match our spreading/flattening feet.

I don't see how wearing thicker socks would help a too-narrow width.  It would make the skate even more narrow and painful.  ???
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2012, 11:47:20 PM »
I think you guys need a visual example of my joke: think of stepping on a tin can so you crush it a bit. 
The top gets lowered and the sides spread out.
That's what I was joking about with squashing the top of the boot to widen the footbed to match our spreading/flattening feet.

I don't see how wearing thicker socks would help a too-narrow width.  It would make the skate even more narrow and painful.  ???

Yeah, you are right - I didn't quite get it - I just use the Superfeet and bamboo socks to deal with boots that have felt not quite right since I got them... seems to help... :nvm:

Offline chowskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 33
    • ChowSkates
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2012, 12:04:02 AM »
I was still able to wear my old skates after my first baby without much discomfort (they did feel tight).. but after the 2nd and 3rd, no way.

Oh, oh... That sounds like I should be prepared to consider new boots soon. I'm in the 32nd week with my baby and my skates are starting to feel rather tight now. I'm wearing a 1/2 size smaller than I measure (this measurement done before first baby) so it might be high time I get my actual size!

What I am really afraid of is getting used to longer blades ~ I know that is a certainty if I go up half a size. I had a 1/4" longer blades on one of my previous skates, and I *never* really got used to it, as in, never really skated well in them.

Offline supra

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2012, 03:33:15 AM »
Oh, oh... That sounds like I should be prepared to consider new boots soon. I'm in the 32nd week with my baby and my skates are starting to feel rather tight now. I'm wearing a 1/2 size smaller than I measure (this measurement done before first baby) so it might be high time I get my actual size!

What I am really afraid of is getting used to longer blades ~ I know that is a certainty if I go up half a size. I had a 1/4" longer blades on one of my previous skates, and I *never* really got used to it, as in, never really skated well in them.

For me it's been awesome, having the longer blade. Went from 10 2/3 to 10 3/4. But the blade itself is light years better. MK Professional vs Jackson MKIV old style.

Offline jamesleo629

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2012, 06:35:32 AM »
Yes it grow with age as the person grows older the feet keeps growing with it.But it sometimes occur to adults not commonly as the show size varies with feet.

Offline nataxa

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2012, 05:19:19 PM »
As for me it looks like my feet are shrinking in the time that I skate :)
Initially I had size 8, then changed skate to 7.5.
Size of my new boots equivalent to 6.5 :)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2012, 07:55:41 PM »
As for me it looks like my feet are shrinking in the time that I skate :)
Initially I had size 8, then changed skate to 7.5.
Size of my new boots equivalent to 6.5 :)

Wait a minute - didn't you change skate brands and models with each pair?  You just stated on another thread that you bought Edea Ice Fly boots this time, so I assume you didn't have them before.  I doubt that that your feet shrank unless you also gained/lost weight.

Different manufacturers use different "lasts" or pattern-fitting models.  That's why fitters have to use the manufacturer's stick/sizing chart when doing measurements for boots/skates.  I wear a different size and width in Riedells than in Jacksons.  That's totally normal and has nothing to do with foot shrinkage or growth, lol.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline nataxa

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2012, 11:41:31 AM »
Well, yes, I was not completely correct. That was exaggeration  :blush:
My first two pairs were Jacksons - Freestyle and Competitor. I think they are pretty close to each other by fitting.
Ice Fly do have different fitting indeed but according to their size chart 255 fit to 6.5 shoe size which should way too small for me.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2012, 04:23:08 PM »
Ice Fly do have different fitting indeed but according to their size chart 255 fit to 6.5 shoe size which should way too small for me.

EDEA's size chart lists some weird sizes for the US equivalents... a 255 is definitely not equivalent to a US 6.5.. it's probably closer to a 9 or 9.5 in street shoe sizing, and if you compare their sizing chart to jacksons it's close to a size 8.  Your new boots may actually be bigger than your old ones.

I wear a 7 1/2 or 8 size street shoe and my Jacksons are 6.5's.. I would probably wear a 240 or 245 in Edea if they fit me.

Offline nataxa

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2012, 04:45:23 PM »
Hmm, interesting.
I wear a 8 or 8 1/2 size shoe. Edea 250 was too small for me. I mean I could get them on but my toes were crooked.
And I can wiggle my toes freely inside my Jacksons boots.

Offline accordion

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 15
  • Skating about downunder...
    • Bobbins, Bikes and Blades
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2012, 09:13:40 PM »
My mother was always a AA fitting with a quite high arch. She went to live in the tropics (after Scotland) for almost 10 years and wore sandals, thongs or went barefoot. She really wanted her feet to spread and become just an A fitting. Throughout this time her weight remained the same, outside of three pregnancies.

Instead, her arch dropped  88) and her foot lengthened. She became a AAA fitting and has been ever since. She finds it really difficult to get shoes that fit for width and has had to resort to custom made shoes at times. Luckily she is very gentle on shoes  :)

At the same time she made sure that all the children went barefoot as much as possible as the wisdom at the time was that is was the best for developing feet. I now have a C or D fitting, with a high arch.  :-\ Additionally I am really hard on shoes...

:nvm: She managed really well with all the other parenting stuff  :love:
Will do almost anything for pizza.
http://bobbinsbikesandblades.com/wordpress/

Offline severina

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2012, 10:14:41 PM »
My feet grew a half size after pregnancy.  I had to get new skates - i got custom harlicks but then 2 years after that I heard about the magic of Edea so I got Concerto.  Now that I am used to these I will probably get the ice fly when they break down because they look even comfier!

I am a 255 in my edea concerto and a 8 or 8 1/2 in street shoes.  They fit great.

Offline platyhiker

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2012, 10:46:59 PM »
I know that many people who hike the Appalachian Trail (2181 miles long) find their feet lengthen significantly, and permanently.  All that pounding from hiking apparently changes feet.  I've heard (secondhand) of someone who owned (and wore) lots of high heeled shoes moving to a tropical island,  and after a year or two of wearing sandals or going barefoot almost all the time that her dress shoes no longer fit, as her feet had widened.

Personally, I had my feet widen a bit in my twenties and a bit more during pregnancy.

Offline Gabby on Ice

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2012, 12:55:46 PM »
Well, my feet haven't grown, but I am getting my second pair of skates after over a year, since I have moved into the Freestyle levels. Right now, I have the Riedell 121 RS, and since I was very happy with my Riedells, I am sticking with the company.