You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Head protection in competitions?  (Read 11059 times)

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
Re: Head protection in competitions?
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2012, 10:29:15 PM »
Head protection is something that is individual for everyone - if you feel like you want it, wear it.

Stuff on my head bothers me, I hate wearing hats, glasses (thank goodness for contacts), and I've never worn an helmet in my life.  I imagine it would be difficult at first to get used to wearing one, it would slightly change your center of gravity.  Heads are heavy enough, I can't imagine adding a helmet then trying to spin!

When I was younger (10-ish) I took a freak fall due to dull blades.  I hit the ice with my head and blacked out.  I had a severe concussion and remember being woken up every hour for three days - and I remember lots of vomiting!  Of course, I was young and 10 and fearless, so I got back on the ice when the doctor okayed it and didn't think twice about hitting my head.  Were that to happen now... well, I'd probably force myself to get used to having protection.  Brains are too important!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2012, 11:37:02 PM »
YES!  I could put a big sparkly pin or applique on the side and make it look like a 1920s cloche! Nice one.  Maybe my ice persona is "flapper girl".

Exactly!  With your long lines I think you could totally rock that look too :)

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2012, 07:06:05 PM »
My opinion is that helmets in practice, especially when learning new stuff, is fine. But I can see the rationale, that if you are an elite competitive skater, you should be good enough that you can compete without one. If something is so dangerous that it  requires a helmet even in competition, then it should be banned (like the detroiter).

Exactly.  I think it is advisable to wear helmets in practice if you are a beginner or are working on something new and scary.  But if you've mastered something well enough to have it in your competition program, I can't imagine you'd need a helmet.  When it comes to pairs, the lady being lifted or thrown has less control because she is dependent on her partner, who may unexpectedly hit a divot in the ice during a lift, etc.  Still, I'm going to assume they must practice controlled falls to a certain degree. . .

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
But if you've mastered something well enough to have it in your competition program, I can't imagine you'd need a helmet.  

I would say I've mastered walking downstairs but I still managed to trip and twist my ankle on the last step.   ???  In all seriousness, all it takes is one stupid mistake (typically landing first on the back side) and your head could smack the ice.  I've mastered skiing but there's no way I'm going out without a helmet.  There's plenty of evidence that many skaters have been concussed while skating.  Bikers, skiers, snowboarder, rollers bladers, hockey players wear helmets.  It makes no sense to me why a sport that involves balancing on a blade on a sheet of ice doesn't embrace the protection of the athlete's skull and its contents.  But, it won't stop me from wearing it.    :P  I fell attempting a Mazurka, my feet went out from underneath me, I landed on my tailbone first and then the back of my head whacked into the ice.  I had a mild case of whiplash and my sacrum still feels it a little after 2 months!  That soft helmet saved my noggin big time.
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 22
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2012, 08:17:18 PM »
Still, I'm going to assume they must practice controlled falls to a certain degree. . .

How do you practice a controlled fall? When we "fell" in Adult 1, we just knelt on the ice and then tipped over on our sides, so we could practice getting back up again.

I've read how you're supposed to try and land on your thigh or butt muscle, and you're supposed to tilt your head forward if you're falling backward, and tilt your head back if you're falling forwards--but honestly, a fall happens so fast, how are you supposed to plan how you're going to hit the ice?

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2012, 08:18:07 PM »
I'm going to side with doubletoe on this one. If I felt so uncertain about a program that I couldn't skate it without a helmet, I wouldn't compete. You fell on your mazurka while learning it. Someday you're going to be better at the mazurka and you either won't fall or you'll be better at falling. That comes with time in training, not on the competition ice. Secondly, if you're so uncertain about your skating in program that you wear a helmet, it will show in your skating. I'd be surprised if a coach would put you on the ice in that condition.

I know you want to rant, but dear, you're beginning to sound like a big baby.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2012, 08:48:27 PM »
I am for helmets and all protective gear. Safety gear is common in skiing, rollerblading, and hockey, why would figure skating helmet be considered sissy out of place?

An analogy would be seat belt in driving. Just because one is an experienced licensed driver, it still make sense to buckle up. I have friends who never use seat belt (!!) and they have no business looking down at me buckling up to simply move the car.

slcbelle said previously she will use protection regardless, so the argument is not quite about herself, but in a general sense. Figure skating really deserves a compact helmet that is aesthetically pleasing and effectively minimizes head injuries. I have high hopes for developments in technology.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2012, 09:58:04 PM »
I don't think you understood my point.

It's not that a helmet is considered sissy. I didn't say that. I said that I don't feel a helmet has a place in competition. If you can't do the element without a helmet, you're probably not ready to compete that element. This is both an artistic sport as well as an athletic sport. Helmets destroy the artistry IN COMPETITION.

I know the case of the woman who competed in a helmet because of a previous injury. What happened? She failed to complete the dance because of her injury, even with the helmet. Her injury was so severe, she shouldn't have been skating. Her need to use the helmet to protect herself, meant she wasn't ready to return to competition.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2012, 10:14:26 PM »
1. Helmets destroy the artistry IN COMPETITION.

2. Helmets destroy the artistry IN COMPETITION and should not be used in competition.

3. Helmets should not be used in practice because they are not used in competition.

4. Helmets are not for figure skaters because no one else use them to practice, just tough it out.

So many skaters are making conclusions #2-4 because of #1.
Is #1 absolutely true to start with?

For the record, at the moment I will not use helmet for competition or testing. I feel I should be comfortable enough and the risks are minimized and it matters how others think about me. We all know flukes happen, a skater could be as ready as everyone else for competition, yet wants to rule out as much danger as possible. And I admire him / her for being responsible :) :)

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2012, 11:53:06 PM »
I'm going to side with doubletoe on this one. If I felt so uncertain about a program that I couldn't skate it without a helmet, I wouldn't compete. You fell on your mazurka while learning it. Someday you're going to be better at the mazurka and you either won't fall or you'll be better at falling. That comes with time in training, not on the competition ice. Secondly, if you're so uncertain about your skating in program that you wear a helmet, it will show in your skating. I'd be surprised if a coach would put you on the ice in that condition.

I know you want to rant, but dear, you're beginning to sound like a big baby.

Whoa there.  I'm not looking for a forum to rant.  And I don't appreciate that my defense of the virtues of head protection on ice warrants you telling me I sound like big baby.  I'm not here to be insulted.  I merely asked if anyone's seen anyone else do it.  I thank everyone for the comments and observations and opinions.  But there's no reason to get rude.  This is a perfect example of the problem.  The attitudes of other skaters.  Frankly, my coach doesn't care and, if she did, I'd find a new coach.

My background is in Health Promotion and Behavior so injury/illness prevention and mitigating risk to one's physical self is kind of my "thing".  I'm also on the emergency preparation council and CERT trained.  I just think differently than some might regarding safety.  Does that mean I can't skate beautifully and have fun?  I don't think so.

1. Helmets destroy the artistry IN COMPETITION.

2. Helmets destroy the artistry IN COMPETITION and should not be used in competition.

3. Helmets should not be used in practice because they are not used in competition.

4. Helmets are not for figure skaters because no one else use them to practice, just tough it out.

For the record, at the moment I will not use helmet for competition or testing. I feel I should be comfortable enough and the risks are minimized and it matters how others think about me. We all know flukes happen, a skater could be as ready as everyone else for competition, yet wants to rule out as much danger as possible. And I admire him / her for being responsible :) :)

Thanks, jjane45.  Well said.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2012, 08:12:35 AM »
I've read how you're supposed to try and land on your thigh or butt muscle, and you're supposed to tilt your head forward if you're falling backward, and tilt your head back if you're falling forwards--but honestly, a fall happens so fast, how are you supposed to plan how you're going to hit the ice?

I've only hit my head once, but found that the theory of head tucking worked for me.  It has been drilled over and over that the first thing to do in a fall is tuck your chin, but never practiced.  How do you practice that?  Even with my limited neck mobility (I have a multi level fusion) I had a very quick tuck instinct and while I slammed into the ice, on my shoulders, my head only tapped.  

But I've never quite gotten the "controlled fall" thing down, even though I taught falling in snowplow for years (I actually had to stop because I couldn't take the repeated falls on my left hip).  I can never force a fall to go to my thigh or butt.

I really don't think falling is taught well, at least not in any of the 3 programs I participated in.   It just takes repetitions of falling to learn to do it safely and get up.  That's why most falls don't phase the kid skaters- they do it a lot, so a bad fall is just a harder one that they may need a few minutes to recover from, but they generally don't get hurt.  Most adults (myself included) just don't fall enough to do it safely.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2012, 08:19:39 AM »

I disagree with #1.  I think you can skate confidently and beautifully in a helmet.  If we stuck a helmet on Meryl Davis she'd still look amazing.  But she doesn't need the helmet for confidence or assurance.  If you need it for that, then the artistry is likely lost.  

As for #3 there is a Canadian skater- Mira Leung, maybe?  I can't recall who was always made to practice in a helmet.  She has the ODDEST technique in her jumps.  Because she well practiced in looking around a helmet that obscured her vision.  You can see the technique ingrained in her even when she isn't wearing it.  So practicing in a helmet on moves that you are confident in, really isn't a great idea.  YES an accident could happen anytime, but it is relatively unlikely.  If you wear a helmet for practice it should only be when being introduced to a difficult skill (but that is often what the harness is used for.).  But I honestly think I'm more likely to fall walking to my car in the winter.  I know more people who have gone to the ER slipping on THAT kind of ice than ice skating.

The other problem is there is really no helmet designed for figure skating.  A hockey helmet won't work.  A bike helmet is a BAD idea.  Maybe a snowboarders helmet would be best?

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2012, 06:59:31 PM »

The other problem is there is really no helmet designed for figure skating.  A hockey helmet won't work.  A bike helmet is a BAD idea.  Maybe a snowboarders helmet would be best?

I swear I'm not being paid by Ribcap but I think it's the best helmet, that I've seen, for skating because it's really a just wool cap with padding.  My vision isn't blocked in any way like it would be in a ski helmet and it doesn't wobble around.  It's just like wearing winter hat.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2012, 08:45:22 PM »
I would say I've mastered walking downstairs but I still managed to trip and twist my ankle on the last step.   ???  In all seriousness, all it takes is one stupid mistake (typically landing first on the back side) and your head could smack the ice.  I've mastered skiing but there's no way I'm going out without a helmet.  There's plenty of evidence that many skaters have been concussed while skating.  Bikers, skiers, snowboarder, rollers bladers, hockey players wear helmets.  It makes no sense to me why a sport that involves balancing on a blade on a sheet of ice doesn't embrace the protection of the athlete's skull and its contents.  But, it won't stop me from wearing it.    :P  I fell attempting a Mazurka, my feet went out from underneath me, I landed on my tailbone first and then the back of my head whacked into the ice.  I had a mild case of whiplash and my sacrum still feels it a little after 2 months!  That soft helmet saved my noggin big time. 

I think you were smart to wear a helmet and I'm glad you did.  Ultimately, you have to have good instincts about yourself, the moves you're attempting, and the risks involved, and that goes for all of us.  I have been very fortunate not to have suffered a concussion in my 15 years of skating, and I've only hit my head or chin on the ice a total of 4 times during that time.  With one exception, each of these times has been when I was working on something new, and not in competition.  A helmet would have come in handy on the first fall, when I was trying back cross strokes for the first time and didn't realize I needed to bend my ankles and keep my weight a little more forward. . . 2 stitches on the back of my head and I never made that mistake again!  :P

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2012, 10:30:13 PM »
I'm not competing yet, but I am seriously considering getting an Ice Halo to wear during practice and lessons. I don't have the best balance and anytime I hit a rut or bump on the ice, whoopsie daisy! I think wearing something like the Ice Halo would give me more confidence and lower my anxiety about skating. But then there's the fact that "real" skaters don't wear head protection. I fear they would laugh at me. But then I think--better to be made fun of than to get a serious concussion if I fell, right? But even my husband thinks the Ice Halo looks "dorky" . . .  so that doesn't help.

Check out the "fluffy" and "furry" ones, particularly the ones that are made to look like natural-coloured fur  They look quite spiffy on the ice; more like a fashion item than a head protection.  The micro-fibre ones look more like a head protection. And, if you run into the anti-fur crew, they aren't real animal fur :)

One coach pointed out that the buns that many female skaters wear actually works as a type of head protection ... against falls on the back of the head!

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 22
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2012, 10:49:34 PM »
Check out the "fluffy" and "furry" ones, particularly the ones that are made to look like natural-coloured fur  They look quite spiffy on the ice; more like a fashion item than a head protection.  The micro-fibre ones look more like a head protection. And, if you run into the anti-fur crew, they aren't real animal fur :)
I've seen the furry ones and they are pretty. I'm not much of a "fur" person, though. I don't have the kind of personality to pull off a hat like that. I liked the furry Ribcap, but it only came in off-white, and my skating clothes are mainly dark gray with a splash of turquoise. I may take a second look, though.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2012, 10:58:28 PM »
I've seen the furry ones and they are pretty. I'm not much of a "fur" person, though. I don't have the kind of personality to pull off a hat like that. I liked the furry Ribcap, but it only came in off-white, and my skating clothes are mainly dark gray with a splash of turquoise. I may take a second look, though.

I have the dark gray and I'm going to buy something like this to spruce it up for special occasions:

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2012, 03:53:32 PM »

One coach pointed out that the buns that many female skaters wear actually works as a type of head protection ... against falls on the back of the head!

Other than for practicality, this is why I only wear a ponytail or bun to practice. I have fallen backward and hit my head, but my ponytail or bun has protected me from the impact. And I don't have that long of hair, but by having it towards the top of the back of my head (versus a low ponytail by my neck) the volume creates a nice little barrier.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2012, 10:40:15 PM »
I think it's more of the fact that helmets are bulky. The Ribcap is neat and thin, but there is still a demand for headdresses that will go well with any skating costume, especially at the elite level.

I would wear the Ribcap to competition, but the rink that I skate at is very warm and the Ribcap will be too hot for me...I wish it's possible to get head protection from a material that's not too warm.