You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Poll

How long does it take you to go to the rink?

less than 15 mins
11 (21.2%)
15 - 30 minutes
22 (42.3%)
31 minutes - 45 minutes
11 (21.2%)
46 minutes - 1 hour
4 (7.7%)
1 hour 1 min - 1 hr 30 minutes
2 (3.8%)
1 hr 31 mins - 2 hours
0 (0%)
> 2 hours
2 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: How long does it take you to go to the rink?  (Read 7907 times)

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 22
    • Yesterday's Thimble
Re: How long does it take you to go to the rink?
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2012, 12:05:19 PM »
I envy all you folks who have multiple rinks to choose from! Where we live is a cultural black hole. Ten years ago, our only ice rink closed down when the mall it was located in went bust. If we wanted to ice skate, we had to choose one of three cities, two of which are about three hours away, and one of which is 5 hours away, but that particular city has multiple rinks and the only figure skating shop within 500 miles.

Finally, in September a new rink opened here. It's about a 45 minute drive from our house. Right now, I go twice a week, because my figure skating lessons are on a weekday afternoon and my husband's hockey classes are on Saturday mornings. I tag along with him on Saturdays and stay afterward for Freestyle, just so I can get some practice in. Occasionally, he practices after work during a deserted weekday public session, since his job is only 15 minutes from the rink.

Offline rinkrat

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 69
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 11:35:59 AM »
The closest rink is 10 minutes away, but I don't skate there because it is hockey territory. No freestyle sessions, no figure skating lessons, not even a basic skills class. It's sad.

The rink I go to is 30-45 minutes depending on time of year.

The rink closes at the end of April so I will have to go to one an hour away.

Offline platyhiker

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2012, 07:41:35 PM »
I just returned to skating about a month ago (after twenty-odd years off) and found a rink only 4 miles (10 minutes) away that has very lightly attended day time public skating sessions (T W and Th), the usual fairly busy public sessions on the weekend and adult group lessons on Sunday afternoon.  I'm a little underwhelmed with the group lessons, but I am learning something each time.  The ice definitely isn't as smooth as ideal.  I love the public skating being only $4 for almost two hours and the proximity to home is FABULOUS.  Unfortunately, I need to switch to somewhere else soon - this rink stops public skating after March 7 and the lessons stop after April 1.   I'll probably end up with about a 30 minute drive.

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 5
  • Returning from a past skating life.
    • Ice Skate Forum
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 04:25:15 AM »
I go to 2 different rinks because the one that is only 1.5 miles away has almost no sessions.   The other rink is about 20 minutes away.

However when I was a kid, I took a bus 2 hrs + 45 minutes each way!   

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2012, 10:41:34 AM »
treesprite: wow, 2 hrs + 45 minutes? I salute your dedication to the sport. :)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2012, 10:56:44 AM »
OT, I am impressed by how much people travel to skate with their (dance or pairs) partners.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2012, 06:08:30 PM »
I live 5 minutse from the rink I skate at.  The rink I do synchro at is 15-20 minutes away (depending on how traffic is moving on the highway and if my brother is working or not--meaning if I can speed or not)  :)  Synchro will be at my regular rink next year!  Yipee!!

Today I did drive 1 hour each way to practice with my "couples interpretive" partner.  She can only come to my club every other week so we wanted an extra practice this week.

Where I live there are probably at least 10 rinks in a 10 minute drive radius. 

Offline emitche

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2012, 03:13:26 PM »
I'm very thankful to have a rink within walking distance (less than 10 minutes) from where I live. For now it provides what I need (adult classes and public ice). And it is a healthy balance between recreational, figure skating, and hockey. Went to another rink in the area and it was clearly hockey territory.
Adult Pre-bronze Moves (Oct 16)
Adult Bronze Moves (May 18)

Offline sk8tegirl06

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2012, 06:29:58 PM »
From where I used to live getting to an indoor rink involved 2 subway trains and 45+ minutes of travel for the practice rink, the lesson rink was 2 subway trains and a bus and 1 hour + of travel. Now I am a 10 minute walk  ;D