You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Strength training:easy on joints + no weights?  (Read 2038 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Strength training:easy on joints + no weights?
« on: November 04, 2012, 08:19:11 AM »
I haven't been on the ice since my competition, and most likely I'll have another week without skating. My legs have been feeling weaker than before (they were never that strong anyway), and I don't think I can go back to skating and start practicing waltz jumps.

I'm looking at doing strength training for my entire body (not just my legs), but I can't do weights because they were hard on my joints. What can I do that can help strengthen my muscles, but is easy on the joints and spine as well? I know yoga is a good exercise for both strength and flexibility, but my back isn't in good condition either for all those inversion poses, and my leg muscles are pretty stiff.

Btw, I'm thinking of this training routine as something which will help me handle harder strength training routines in the future, possibly with weights...I'd also like it to be figure skating related, if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Strength training:easy on joints + no weights?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 09:32:45 AM »
I haven't been on the ice since my competition, and most likely I'll have another week without skating. My legs have been feeling weaker than before (they were never that strong anyway), and I don't think I can go back to skating and start practicing waltz jumps.

I'm looking at doing strength training for my entire body (not just my legs), but I can't do weights because they were hard on my joints. What can I do that can help strengthen my muscles, but is easy on the joints and spine as well? I know yoga is a good exercise for both strength and flexibility, but my back isn't in good condition either for all those inversion poses, and my leg muscles are pretty stiff.

Btw, I'm thinking of this training routine as something which will help me handle harder strength training routines in the future, possibly with weights...I'd also like it to be figure skating related, if possible.

Thanks in advance!

You could try programs with bands or tubes. I like Cathe Friedrich's "Travel fit". It can be done in a constrained space like a hotel room, but it challenging enough for just regular use. It uses bands. It gets you into some doable-but challenging--strength positions, you'll need weight lifter gloves to hold the bands. Bands come in various strengths, the heavier they are, the more resistance.

I don't see how you can do strength training without resistance. But that doesn't mean weights.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 10:01:37 AM »
Second the bands; they're excellent in general.  What about something like water resistance training? It's offered in many locations ... the water strengthens, but, without trauma to joints.  Also has the benefit of being good for cardio.

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 09:15:45 AM »
If you do them correctly (knees behind toes) squats and lunges are very good for lower body. Planks are good for core strength. If you get adventurous, burpees are good cardio, but also for legs/core.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 09:29:53 AM »
Thanks for your suggestions! I'll ask about resistance bands in the gym -- maybe they have those.

Kim: Burpees look like yoga Sun Salutations, only much livelier! My only problem is I can't do the salutations anymore -- this is way too much for ny shoulers right now, although with enough exercise I'm sure I'll be able to do it again. About the squats and lunges -- thanks for that, I think that's more manageable. Slow plies are manageable for me, and I'll definitely try that one.

EDIT: Just saw some easier Burpee variations on youtube! Those ones I can do. Kim, thanks for introducing burpees to me. :)