You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skate and Blade Levels  (Read 8681 times)

Offline Mom2NewSkater

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 0
Skate and Blade Levels
« on: June 09, 2016, 03:39:42 PM »
My daughter is 10 and has been skating a little over two years now (privates a little over one year).  She is currently in a Riedell Emerald.  I have no clue about boots and blades.  I may not be a Mom2NewSkater at this point, but it all still feels very new to me.  I feel clueless.

My daughter has started working on her axel.  She's getting ready to compete in her second competition.  I'm thinking when she needs new skates it will be time to move up, since the Riedell Emerald is listed as a skate/skill level of basic/recreational.  Am I correct in my thinking? 

If I am correct, I have no clue how to go about figuring out what she needs.  I know I will need to talk to her coach.  I just don't want to bring it up if now isn't the time... like I don't want to seem like I'm pushing for her to be in a higher level skate if she doesn't need to be.  We don't have a proshop at our rink (or even in our state that I know of).  I think I will have to go to Columbus or Cleveland OH when the time comes.

Thanks in advance for any input/advice you can give.   

Offline dkd

• Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 19
Re: Skate and Blade Levels
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 05:47:45 PM »
I think those were my first pair of skates as well. After a year, I broke them down pretty badly and got Riedell Bronze Stars with Coronation Aces blades. I got those around the time I started Lutz and being more serious with axel. Are hers very broken down at all? If they are, it's probably time to get new skates.

Offline Mom2NewSkater

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 08:53:06 AM »
These aren't her first skate.  They are her third pair.  The first pair her grandparents bought for passing her first basic skills test.  They were Riedell, but I think they were the very lowest level.  Her second pair her grandparents bought for her birthday, because she was outgrowing the first pair.  They were Riedell Pearl (level below Emerald).  My thinking was when she outgrew those, it might be time to move up.  Unfortunately the heal and boot started separating on one of the skates before she outgrew them.  Even more unfortunate, the separation got worse two, maybe two and a half weeks before her first competition.  We were afraid it would completely separate before or during the competition.  I went to the rink to see about ordering a new pair (takes about a week to get them in).  They just happened to have a new pair of Emeralds there in her size.  I'm guessing someone ordered them and then didn't take them.  I went ahead and bought them, so she could skate on them to try to get used to them before the competition.  That being the case, she has only had them about three months. 

I expect she will outgrow them soon, since she's been in the same size almost two years come September.  When she outgrows them, I'm thinking that will be the time to move to a better boot and blade.  Again, I'm just not sure if my thinking is correct or not.

Offline theoreticalgirl

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 03:33:20 PM »
It sounds like you may need to move her up to a stiffer boot if she's working on Axels. A light boot like the Emerald isn't designed to withstand a jump like that, and one that's repeated. It's possible this is the culprit behind the separation issue you've been having. (FWIW most manufacturers have stiffness ratings, but you'll see elsewhere on this forum there doesn't seem to be a standard for it.)

Since I don't know much about your kid, I can't make much of a suggestion beyond moving to a boot with a Medium stiffness rating. This is a conversation best to be had between the coach and your pro shop, since they're going to be able to suggest a boot that takes into account the skater's foot shape and other factors (e.g. height, weight, rate of growth, skill).

Re: Blades - The Coronation Ace is fine; you may want to check out the Double Star or Professional from the MK line. (I've never skated in Eclipse, Ultima, or Paramount blades, but perhaps someone else may want to chime in with recommendations for those brands.) They are all in the same price/skill range, and I would recommend seeking out a lightly used pair before ponying up for a new model (ditto for boots).

Riedell Boot Comparison Chart:

http://ice.riedellskates.com/products/boot-range/
https://www.kinziescloset.com/skate-comparison-guide.html

Regarding blades, here's some good blade comparison information:

https://www.kinziescloset.com/figure-skate-blade-basics.html
https://www.kinziescloset.com/blade-comparison-guide.html

Offline skatemom189

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 02:28:56 AM »
My daughter is the same level as yours.  She uses the Coronation Ace blade, that was purchased at the excellent pro shop in Cleveland.  I highly recommend both blade and shop.   :)

Boots, talk to an expert.  But above pro shop puts five year olds in basic 3 and 4 in that skate.

Offline severina

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 10:59:54 AM »
As a child, I had coronation ace when I started working on my axel.  Once I started working on doubles I switched to Pattern 99 and that took me through 2 triples. I also had harlick customs, but started with Riedell. 20 years later I'm in Edea (i just got the pianos, but prior I had the Ice Fly and before that the Concertos) and still with pattern 99.  I'm 38, still have my doubles on a good day, and last week landed 4 triple toes on the harness..

Offline Mom2NewSkater

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 09:06:21 AM »
Thank you for the replies.  I talked to her coach yesterday, because my daughter came home from a camp on Friday saying her skates were hurting her toes.  We are going to competition in Lexington this weekend, so we are going to have her foot measured there.

Here's the thing.  Her coach is saying go up one level... Riedell Diamond.  If I understood correctly, part of her reasoning is because of the weight of the skate.  Do they get heavier at higher levels?  I figured they got lighter... shows what I know. 

Based on everything I'm seeing, she needs a better boot than the Diamond.  I absolutely love her coach though and do not want to make her mad.  Given my daughter's personality and sensitivity, I do not think there is a better coach at our rink for her.  Besides her coach being good with her mentally and emotionally, she is a great coach overall.  That being said, I'm still concerned about putting my daughter in a Diamond.  Not concerned about safety, but if I'm going to spend the money, I'd rather put her in a boot for her level even if it is more expensive. 

Like I mentioned before, we don't have a pro shop.  I know some of our skaters go to Cleveland, OH and some go to Columbus, OH.  Apparently though, after talking to my daughter's coach, some just order their skates online.  These are high level skaters too, so I was surprised to here that.  She told me that our highest level skater at our rink (that she coaches) order her last pair of skates online and has had them for three years (she told her she needed to get new ones when she found out how long she'd had them).

So I just feel a little lost.  I'm thinking I need to go to a pro shop just to see what their thoughts are.  Are they better able to make recommendation than a coach is?  skatemom189 can you tell me the name of the shop you use?  If you aren't allowed to post it here, can you send me a private message?  I have a card for a shop in Cleveland that one of the other skate moms at our rink gave me.  I'm just curious to see if it is the same shop.

I guess I also need to talk to my daughter this evening to see what elements she can do and what she is working on for sure.  I know she is working on her axel.  Other than that, I'm not sure.  I honestly can't tell one jump from another.  I watch my daughter in her lessons and practice all the time.  I just don't know what I'm watching.  I probably need to take to YouTube in my spare time (which I have little of) to figure out what the differ elements are.

Offline dkd

• Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 19
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 09:44:06 AM »
I'd say she needs a stiffer boot than a Diamond. They do get slightly heavier, but she'll get used to them.

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 10:17:58 AM »
I don't know how much this will help, but two years ago (2014) I put together a list of blades and their characteristics (advanced, intermediate, cross-cut picks or straight cut, etc.). The list also contains an approximate cost. Apologies for the fine print online, but should print OK.

http://www.afterness.com/skating/skate_blade_comparison.pdf

I started a list of Riedell boot characteristics, and wanted to add other brands but didn't complete it. What's there might still be useful to you.

http://www.afterness.com/skating/images/skate_boot_comparison.pdf
Bill Schneider

Offline theoreticalgirl

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 01:11:25 PM »
Skater's Edge (5648 Mayfield Road, Lyndhurst, OH) has a large selection of boot brands (including Riedell). I would recommend making the trek out to them and have them fit your daughter in skates before diving into an online purchase. Given that her foot is still growing, you may find that it's better to have her fitted each time you need to get a new boot, as the shape of her foot will change over time.

https://www.facebook.com/Skaters-Edge-OHIO-368714686552297/info/?tab=page_info

I get the sense that the coach is taking into account your kid's potential growth spurts when recommending the Diamond boot. Less expensive to replace when feet grow. Do you feel like your kid's feet are growing really fast? FWIW, I don't think your instinct of a stiffer boot is a bad one. Three pairs is plenty of evidence.

Educating yourself about skating and equipment is incredibly helpful.  Whatever you learn, make sure your daughter learns about it too and has a say in the final decision. Speaking as a former competitor turned adult skater, the hardest thing has been to learn all of this stuff, since my parents were the one who took care of my boots/etc when I was young. The better educated everyone is, the better choices you'll be able to make as time progresses.

Offline skatemom189

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 03:06:38 AM »
Skaters Edge Lyndhurst is the only shop left in town, the other closed.  Make an appointment, they get busy, especially on Saturdays.  Bring her current skates with you, they will ask to see them and how they fit.  Ask for Rich or Chris.  They take care of senior level national and international competitors, so you will be in good hands.

The skate issue is not just the boots, but the blades.  The emerald and diamond have blades that are for basic skills, the toepicks are not designed for spinning or toe jumps.  She is a freestyle skater so should have a freestyle blade.  The lowest Riedell model to come boot only looks to be the 229 Edge.  Then you can pair it to a blade like coronation ace, mk professional, eclipse volant or auroras, ultima legacy.  Stay away from the eclipse astra, which comes preattached to some of the Riedell boots.  My daughter and her coach found it quite unsatisfactory and we had to switch to something better before she outgrew the boots.

If the coach is really worried about the weight of her skates, perhaps you want to consider a different brand.  Skaters Edge also carries Jackson, Edea, Risport, Gam, SP Teri, and Harlick.  I do really think you should get professional advise from someone, rather than ordering online.  The fitters there are very conscientious about not choosing a too stiff boot, due to the risk of stress fractures, and really spend a lot of time educating parents about all the technical stuff.

Offline jlspink22

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 05:35:56 PM »
My daughter is 6.5 and wears riedell silver stars (the old ones) and Matrix Legacy blades. She is also working on the axel but going through a growth spurt, so I will need new boots. The old model Silver Stars are a bit stiff so I will be bringing her down to a stride or edge, and removing the stock blade and replacing with CoroAces or Mk Professionals. My poor wallet...

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Total GOE: 24
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 09:25:02 PM »
Another vote for visiting a pro shop. A good fitter will look at your daughter's old skates, ask about her level, number of hours she skates, and take into account her weight. There is a big difference between a kid who is on the ice a couple of hours a week vs. skating five or six days a week and you want to make sure they are able to comfortably break in the skates within a reasonable amount of time. Sometimes it makes the most sense to be a little underbooted rather then over.

As for the blade, we have a great fitter who reccommends the MK Pro for kids who will end up in Gold Seals or Coro Ace for kids who will end up in Pattern 99. Our fitter puts the largest blade size possible on a growing kid's skates without impeding progress in hopes that it can move up to the next boot when they grow.

Offline Mom2NewSkater

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 11:49:29 AM »
Thank you for all the replies.  As of right now, we plan to take her to a pro shop soon. 

I do have another question.  Does she need the better boots/blades if she isn't spending tons of time on the ice?  For example if she has started working on her axel but only spends four or five hours a week on the ice is the investment warranted? 

Offline DressmakingMomma

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 01:10:32 PM »
It sounds like she is at the point of being able to take advantage of a better blade if you move her up to the coro ace, mk pro or something comparable. My daughter has seen improvement in her skating each time we've upgraded her blade. Her boots are upper level because she has such difficult feet and the less expensive boots aren't available in the shape she needs, but I would go with less over more if it were an option. It is a balance between enough support and strength to hold up to her skating without being unnecessarily stiff. You don't want it too stiff so that just as they start to wear in well and feel really good, she outgrows them. My daughter tends to need new skates twice a year from growth so it is hard for her to break in boots. If you are only replacing boots every couple of years, you may need something a little stiffer to get through that time without wearing then out. Thats where the pro shop should be able to guide you well.

Offline Ethereal Ice

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2016, 04:09:29 AM »
I skate in older model Silver Stars also, which I think are the equivalent to today's Bronze Stars in stiffness rating. The only other reason I could think of for a Coach suggesting a weaker boot for someone working on an Axel might be that you daughter was quite small? Perhaps she felt the stiffer boots would be too awkward/heavy, difficult to break in if your daughter was particularly light weight? Other than that it would seem the stiffer boot would be the safer option when learning more advanced jumps.

As for people ordering boots online...at our rink, the majority of people seem to get fitted at either a pro shop or with the dealer (we don't live far from the Bay area CA with Harlick and SPTeri). That said, I personally just measured my foot and actually got pre-owned boots (never worn) online and they fit me like a glove after a few break in skates. I feel slightly guilty sometimes that it was so easy for me to find a comfy, good quality skate because it seems that is the exception to the rule, at least for most of the skaters I have talked to.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2016, 02:40:43 AM »
Does she need the better boots/blades if she isn't spending tons of time on the ice?  For example if she has started working on her axel but only spends four or five hours a week on the ice is the investment warranted?

I'm not the right person to answer this, since I can't do an axel. But since no one else has:

I think it's wonderful that your daughter is dedicated enough, and athletic enough to be working on axels, skating a few hours/week, in just two years! Congrats. I'm so jealous.

Fewer hours on the ice may just mean her internal ankle support isn't as good, because she doesn't get as much exercise, so she needs the support of a somewhat stiffer boot.  AFAICT, it is very easy to under-rotate an axel, which could injure an ankle. But these are matters to take up with your coach and/or an expert skate fitter, because it depends a lot on her.

An axel is not considered a beginner/recreational move, and a beginner boot isn't designed to support it. Beginner boots make her risk an injury, or may not give her the confidence to jump high. But if she is very light and short, maybe your coach thinks she doesn't generate enough force to worry about... There is a such thing as too much stiffness, and too much weight, so you should probably trust her coach.

With a beginner level blade, she has to point her foot more to reach the toe pick sufficiently. She might be flexible enough to do it, though toe jump require even more toe point, but it is possible (I'm not an expert on jumps) it also requires more strength to do jumps on beginner blades, because you have to make the point more quickly, and because the center of the blade is flatter (longer rocker) on a beginner blade, then is more curved (shorter rocker) near the toe pick. A really good skate sharpener could compensate for those things, by changing the blade shape, if you haven't worn out the blades much, but few would.

What it boils down to is that beginner blades make your daughter work harder to jump. But ask your coach.

Beginner blades need to be sharpened more often, because the steel is less durable. So sharpening may cost you more (as will replacing blades, if you have to), and if you have to drive a long distance to get it done well, you need to take that cost, in time and money, into account as well.

Skating equipment is expensive. But the right tools will save her a lot of hours of skating and lesson time to reach a given skill level, and may significantly reduce her injury probability. It's also possible you are spending much more on lessons and ice and driving than on equipment, so scrimping too much on equipment can be a false economy in several ways.

If you need to economize, get her to take good care of her equipment, if she isn't already. E.g., use blade guards walking from where she puts on her skates to the ice, and back again to where she takes them off, so you don't have to sharpen and replace blades as often. Carry and store the skates out in the open, rather than in a closed bag or trunk, so they don't rot, and last longer. Don't store them in a hot car. Use a good fitter in the first place, because ill fit boots last many times less long. (Maybe she outgrows equipment before it fails - but maybe that one pair failed partly because she wasn't taking as good care as she could. Also, you can get more on the used equipment market if it is still in good shape. Besides, around age 11, her feet will probably stop growing - thank goodness.) These sorts of thing may save you more money than economizing on equipment.

(Unfortunately, she is also old enough now to realize that if she put in more hours and took more lessons, she could compete better. This is the wrong sport to take seriously if you can't afford it.)

- Just my inexpert take.

Offline Mom2NewSkater

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2016, 08:50:11 AM »
Again thanks for the replies. 

So when I say she is working on her axel, what I mean is her coach has her in the harness working on it.  I assume being in a harness is still considered working on it and equates to needing a better skate.  Am I correct?

My daughter is not small.  She always been one of the tallest in her class (including taller than most of the boys).  She has some pudge in her belly, but she is not fat. 

Skating is definitely an expensive sport.  We can afford it.  I just don't want to be throwing money away if it isn't necessary. 

As far as the amount of time she spends on the ice, I have been reluctant to push her too much on that.  I've seen so many kids get burned out on different things, because their parents pushed them to do it when they really didn't want to.  This is the first physical activity my daughter has been pretty good at and seems to really enjoy.  I want her to still enjoy it when she is 60.  She danced from the time she was two (turned three right after she started) until she was nine.  She was ok at it but not great.  In a little over two years, she has accomplished much more in skating than she did in six years of dance.  Again I want her to continue to love it and not burn out.  We have told her though that if we make the investment in new skates we do expect her to be at the rink a minimum of four to five hours per week, which she mostly does now. 

I'm in the process now of scheduling her an appointment with a pro shop in Cleveland, OH.  It is about a four hour trip for us, but I think it is what we need to do.  Can anyone tell me on average how long it takes to get boots and blades in if you order them from a pro shop?

Offline Ethereal Ice

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2016, 01:55:59 PM »
Again thanks for the replies. 

So when I say she is working on her axel, what I mean is her coach has her in the harness working on it.  I assume being in a harness is still considered working on it and equates to needing a better skate.  Am I correct?

My daughter is not small.  She always been one of the tallest in her class (including taller than most of the boys).  She has some pudge in her belly, but she is not fat. 

Skating is definitely an expensive sport.  We can afford it.  I just don't want to be throwing money away if it isn't necessary. 

As far as the amount of time she spends on the ice, I have been reluctant to push her too much on that.  I've seen so many kids get burned out on different things, because their parents pushed them to do it when they really didn't want to.  This is the first physical activity my daughter has been pretty good at and seems to really enjoy.  I want her to still enjoy it when she is 60.  She danced from the time she was two (turned three right after she started) until she was nine.  She was ok at it but not great.  In a little over two years, she has accomplished much more in skating than she did in six years of dance.  Again I want her to continue to love it and not burn out.  We have told her though that if we make the investment in new skates we do expect her to be at the rink a minimum of four to five hours per week, which she mostly does now. 

I'm in the process now of scheduling her an appointment with a pro shop in Cleveland, OH.  It is about a four hour trip for us, but I think it is what we need to do.  Can anyone tell me on average how long it takes to get boots and blades in if you order them from a pro shop?

Depending on the pro shop and the area of the country, unless they have the boot in stock already, I think you would be looking at 2-4 weeks unless it was a back order/special order. In that case it could vary widely. Custom boots at the actual manufacturer can take 8-12 weeks plus. And yes, trying Axels in a harness counts as starting her Axel. Additionally, based on her size (as you said, not huge, but a good sized eleven year old) sounds to me like she needs a good supportive boot, stronger than the Emerald. Her coach is a valuable resource, but only one of many available resources, you are absolutely entitled to explore *all* resources to make the best decision for your daughter. Let us know how things go at the pro shop, I would check into the Bronze Star if she still prefers Riedell brand. I absolutely love my Silver Stars... for some of us, Riedell is just the right fit  8)

If I may share some of my experience breaking in my first pair of stiffer boots, remember that if you guys go for the stronger boot, the break in time will likely be longer and possibly need additional adjustments through the process. She has been used to skating in the same boot for a while... a new one will likely feel very different. It took me a good ten, 30-60 minute skates, plus wearing my boots in the house with guards on for about an hour a day on the days I did not skate, to break my Silver Stars in, they were the stiffest boots I have worn to date.

When I first tried on my skates at home I really thought they would need to be stretched.  For the first five or so skates in them, I really thought they would need took be stretched. Even though I could move my toes, they felt  SO snug. I am a home care nurse, and fairly well versed in the concepts of pressure ( bed sore prevention). I noticed that though my feet were reddened where my boots had been, the redness was even and easily blanched in all areas, meaning you could press it and see white and then quick blood return to the area. This told me that even though they were snug, they were not overly snug in general, or at any particular pressure point. Armed with that information, I decided to give myself those ten skates before I made any decision about stretching them, and I am so glad I did! After those ten skates they had really stated to feel like an extension of my foot. The break in process was not discomfort free, but I never even got a blister. If I had stretched them early on, they would have been too wiggly, so glad I waited.

Let us know how things go!

Offline jlspink22

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2016, 11:32:52 AM »
Thank you for all the replies.  As of right now, we plan to take her to a pro shop soon. 

I do have another question.  Does she need the better boots/blades if she isn't spending tons of time on the ice?  For example if she has started working on her axel but only spends four or five hours a week on the ice is the investment warranted?

My six and a half year old is 2.5 years into the sport and landed a few axels (they are come and go). She skates about 4-6 hours a week, plus 2 of recreational dance. She is only about 45 lbs and skates in a much stiffer boot and blade combo. Even if you don't get an $600 boot combo, she needs something stronger - probably the edge or flair....

Offline Mom2NewSkater

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2016, 04:23:38 PM »
I called the proshop today to make an appointment for my daughter.  It is a four hour drive for us, so they want to make sure they have something in stock for her to try on.  That being the case, we had a pretty good discussion on the phone about what she is working on skill wise, how old she is, what size her current skates are, did she compete, how many hours was she on the ice each week, etc.  Based on that information he suggested the Jackson Freestyle or the Riedell Edge or Motion.  I understand both of these come as a combo with a stock blade.  Based on my research of Riedell only, I figured Edge or Motion is where we would be.  My only real concern with any of these boots is the stock blade.  He did say the pick is bigger on the stock blades that come with these boots, so that is helpful.  How much of a difference do you think blades make when it comes to spins.  I don't know why, but right now I really feel her blades hinder her spins.  Is it safe to assume that a stock blade on a better boot is going to be better than a stock blade on a lower level boot?  Looking at Riedell's website it does appear the stock blade on the Edge is different than the stock blade on the Emerald that she currently help.  Do you think the blade will be better?  I will say based on the info Bill_S provided me earlier in this thread, I'm not sure the stock blade (Astra) that is on the Edge or Motion is the best option.  Bill_S's list says this is a beginner/recreation blade, so I'm just not sure about the blades.

I am supposed to pull the insole out of her current skate and take a picture to send to them.  I'm also supposed to take a picture of her boot.  Since she's only had these skates since March, they aren't very worn.  I'm wondering if I should also take a picture of the insole of her previous skate that she wore longer.  I'm also wondering if I should take a picture of the pair where the boot separated from the sole.  I told him about it, and he said it was probably because she was underbooted (as he says she is now).

Finally is there a place where I can find the weight of the different skates?  Since weight seemed to be a bit of concern for her coach, I feel it is important to know the weight of the ones we are considering.  In my research I did find an article where you do a boot weight/skater weight calculation to get the ratio of skate weight to body weight and that it shouldn't be more than 5%.  I need to know the skate weights to be able to do it though.     

Offline jlspink22

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2016, 04:32:45 PM »
Fit first. If the boot doesn't fit well, no matter how light it is, it won't help her skating.

The skaters here do strength training with ankle weights....

My daughter's spins got better when her ankles were better supported (she had the same blades on a lighter boot before the silver stars). She has a solid sit, scratch, back scratch and is getting there on her camel, camel sit, etc.

But she also had/has a matrix legacy blade which is a better blade for freestyle and is meant for spinning over a stock blade. The boot and blade is the only equipment she is using so it's best to not skimp too much if she wants to continue to progress.

I called the proshop today to make an appointment for my daughter.  It is a four hour drive for us, so they want to make sure they have something in stock for her to try on.  That being the case, we had a pretty good discussion on the phone about what she is working on skill wise, how old she is, what size her current skates are, did she compete, how many hours was she on the ice each week, etc.  Based on that information he suggested the Jackson Freestyle or the Riedell Edge or Motion.  I understand both of these come as a combo with a stock blade.  Based on my research of Riedell only, I figured Edge or Motion is where we would be.  My only real concern with any of these boots is the stock blade.  He did say the pick is bigger on the stock blades that come with these boots, so that is helpful.  How much of a difference do you think blades make when it comes to spins.  I don't know why, but right now I really feel her blades hinder her spins.  Is it safe to assume that a stock blade on a better boot is going to be better than a stock blade on a lower level boot?  Looking at Riedell's website it does appear the stock blade on the Edge is different than the stock blade on the Emerald that she currently help.  Do you think the blade will be better?  I will say based on the info Bill_S provided me earlier in this thread, I'm not sure the stock blade (Astra) that is on the Edge or Motion is the best option.  Bill_S's list says this is a beginner/recreation blade, so I'm just not sure about the blades.

I am supposed to pull the insole out of her current skate and take a picture to send to them.  I'm also supposed to take a picture of her boot.  Since she's only had these skates since March, they aren't very worn.  I'm wondering if I should also take a picture of the insole of her previous skate that she wore longer.  I'm also wondering if I should take a picture of the pair where the boot separated from the sole.  I told him about it, and he said it was probably because she was underbooted (as he says she is now).

Finally is there a place where I can find the weight of the different skates?  Since weight seemed to be a bit of concern for her coach, I feel it is important to know the weight of the ones we are considering.  In my research I did find an article where you do a boot weight/skater weight calculation to get the ratio of skate weight to body weight and that it shouldn't be more than 5%.  I need to know the skate weights to be able to do it though.   

Offline Mom2NewSkater

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2016, 12:00:31 PM »
We made the trip to Cleveland, OH on Saturday to get my daughter's new skates.  Four hour drive there, two hour fitting and four hour drive back.  It was a long day, but I feel it was worth it.

We ended up getting the Jackson Elle with Coronation Ace blades.  I think technically she may still be under booted.  First recommendation of the pro shop was the Jackson Freestyle.  After mentioning that boot weight was a concern of her coach, we decided on the Elle. 

Apparently the blades that now ship with these level of boots (also with the Riedell Motion and Edge) are not "stock".  They are an upgrade.  My husband and I discussed whether to just keep the blade that shipped with the skate or upgrading further to the Coronation Ace.  His comment was we are driving eight hours round trip. I think we go for the better blade. 

We ended up with Jackson for two reasons.  First upon measuring the width of her foot, she is on the wider side.  Not 100% a wide in Riedell but right on the border.  Jackson has a wider toe box, so it gives her more room.  Also, the Riedell Motion and Edge won't be available to ship from the manufacturer until early September.  When measuring her feet at home with the Riedell sizer you can print from the website, it became apparent her current skates weren't a little too small, they were a lot too small.  She was skating in a 4.  Her new skates are 5 1/2.  I didn't feel like we could wait another month to get her new skates. 

Her coach did look at the new boot and blade yesterday evening when she went to freestyle.  She said we made a good choice on boot and blade.  She said she did feel Jackson was heavier than Riedell.  I told her the Jackson boot we bought had cork in the sole to help make it lighter and we did go a level down from what the pro shop recommended, so she seemed satisfied with it.  She did tell me she stresses weight so much, because she has seen more injuries over the years due to over booting than under booting. 

My daughter did keep commenting yesterday about them being heavier.  I told her it would just take some time to get used to.  Also, her spins are not near as good with the new blade.  I'm hoping that too is just a get used to the new blade thing.  I'd hate to think I spent the extra money on a better blade just to make her spins worse.   :o  The other thing she said was she couldn't get a good push off.  Again I'm just hoping she needs to get used to them.  I did feel like she glided with much more ease over the ice. 

Can anyone give any input on if things should get better the longer she skates in them?

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2016, 01:24:14 PM »
Always give new skates a grace period of at least 8-10 skating hours before worrying.   :psychic

The weight issue can be compensated by doing off-ice exercising with ankle weights that are heavier than her skate.  Spiral and one-foot lunges, extend-and-hold in all directions will build strength.  Without knowing your daughter, I can't recommend more than that, but I've seen skaters doing planks with leg lifts and standing leg lifts wearing ankle weights.  (Typically using weights the same as/lighter than the skates.)

It's difficult to change boots and blades at the same time. Changing brands adds to that time frame.  The skates are new and stiff and she probably can't bend properly or get over the spin spot just yet.  Don't panic - give it a few hours and see if the spins get easier.  Lots of back crossovers, shoot-the-ducks and controlled three turns will help her find the spin spot and break in the skate.

Underbooted isn't the worst thing in the world as long as it's not severe.  Putting a freestyle skater in a pair of low-end rec skates is a waste of money, but one step below usually means the boots will break in faster.  I sometimes recommend this when a skater has to get new boots just prior to a test, show or competition.

It does mean the boots will break down sooner than a stiffer boot but the price differential and short break-in time offset the expense.  She'll be less-likely to outgrow the skates before they break down.  It also increases the odds on being able to move the blade to a new boot.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline DressmakingMomma

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2016, 01:24:37 PM »
Something else to consider in terms of getting used to the new combination is that she jumped up quite a bit in size. That extra length means that all of her balance points are going to feel off, along with moving into a different boot brand with higher heel height. The last time my daughter had new skates, she kept the same boot model but we upgraded her blade and she gained 1/2" in length. She went through a huge adjustment period and lost consistency on pretty much everything. We really questioned if we moved her up too early but she just needed a couple of weeks to settle into them.

When getting new skates, I take my daughter to as many public skate sessions as we can for the first couple of weeks. It helps her to get some time in and do lots and lots of crossovers without having to pay for expensive freestyle ice. I have also found that bringing a hairdryer to the rink to slightly warm up the boots before putting them on really helps her break-in process. Not too warm though, you don't want to prematurely break down the boots or wreck any heat molding that has been done.

Good Luck, this isn't the most fun part of skating.