You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: what size suitcase for skates  (Read 3729 times)

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 8
what size suitcase for skates
« on: September 13, 2015, 10:37:40 AM »
For those of you who use a suitcase for your gear,  what size is best?  The 26 or the carry on size?

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: what size suitcase for skates
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 11:26:17 AM »
It depnds on the size of your boots. I have size 6 1/2 Harlicks, I pack my boots in a 19x15 in suitcase w/ all my gear. If you want to carry more than just skates, I'd say get nothing less than 20" pullman.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 11:50:21 AM »
I only use a suitcase when I travel to competitions, but I have a 21" carry on size bag. I have giant skates (currently 11.5 Harlicks), and this still allows me to bring everything I need for a weekend competition in just my carry on, with maybe one or two things in my backpack. For everyday use, you could easily fit skates, guards, pads, and anything else you need, or could do with even a smaller bag.

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 05:43:42 PM »
I have a bowling style bag (fila if you want to google) that works well for practice.  It's got two compartments with one big enough for skates and the other big enough for all the random stuff kept in my skating bag and a water bottle.  The upside is that it's small.  The downside to that is that if I wanted to put makeup, extra tights, hair spray, and all the other stuff I take to a competition in it, it wouldn't be big enough. My mom says it's the ugliest thing she's ever seen because of the whole bowling style look but I sort of like it lol.

When I compete I use a carry on size rolling suitcase.  Two compartments.  One main one for skates and one side with one of those zipper covers for all my other stuff.  If you look around, you can usually find a good one on sale.  I actually bought this for travel but it also works well for skates.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 08:21:03 PM »
I also use a rolling carry-on case as my daily skate bag.  It's the maximum size that will fit under the seat, which I think is 21".  It fits my skates, guards and msc. skating stuff, and I can pack a dress and tights in it if I'm going to a competition and don't want them lost in checked luggage.

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 04:16:39 AM »
My suitcase is carry-on sized - I don't recall the exact dimensions but it is the maximum size allowed. In fact I often use it as such when I travel!
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 01:46:10 PM »
If you keep moist (from sweat and the ice) boots and blades in an unventilated bag or suitcase, they tend to rot, mildew, or rust. That doubtless depends on the amount you sweat, and the climate - but, because skates and blades are expensive, a major pain to modify to fit, and we want them to last for years, many of us choose to be cautious, and try to let them air dry. So if you have a choice, don't put them in a bag or suitcase. But you might not have a choice when traveling by air, train or bus.

Mesh backpacks and duffel bags are frequently used for sports equipment, so the equipment can air dry. Not perfect - but the mesh helps a lot. For example

http://search.nrs.com/search?w=mesh%20duffel

or search for "mesh duffel" at eBay.

Obviously, the more open the mesh, and the less tightly you pack your bag with other stuff, the better the ventilation.

Mesh bags would let the moisture out. Unfortunately, they might also let dirt in, which I suppose might be especially important if you check your bags. There are also suitcases with a ventilated shoe compartment - but those compartments may not be large enough for your skates.

Many people wipe their boots and blades dry with cloth, inside and out, then carry the cloth on the OUTSIDE of their bag. They may use a second oiled cloth on the blades to slow rust. And use soakers, not plastic blade guards. When carrying boots in my car, I leave them out in the open, and leave the blades uncovered, and take them indoors to a low humidity indoors area as soon as I can. If I have a lot of stuff to carry, I sometimes use a mesh grocery store bag. (Cheap!)

If you carry your bag outdoors in the rain, an open mesh might not be an ideal solution - unless you also carry a waterproof bag that can go around it if needed.

Of course, I haven't answered your question. It depends on how much stuff you have to carry, so I won't.

:WS:  :)  :BS:

P.S. Some countries don't allow skates with blades in carry-ons. Research it.

Happy skating!

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 10:27:34 PM »
If you keep moist (from sweat and the ice) boots and blades in an unventilated bag or suitcase, they tend to rot, mildew, or rust. That doubtless depends on the amount you sweat, and the climate - but, because skates and blades are expensive, a major pain to modify to fit, and we want them to last for years, many of us choose to be cautious, and try to let them air dry. So if you have a choice, don't put them in a bag or suitcase. But you might not have a choice when traveling by air, train or bus.

Or...just take them out of the suitcase to air when you get home.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 04:34:20 PM »
Transpack bag works very well for transporting skates, and full size one holds size 13 Harlicks. Inevitably, there are delays between skating/getting home, and the mesh pockets means that the skates air until they get taken out at home.

You can also get some of the stuff they use for drying flowers etc (silica gel) - easily available at Michaels or a craft store - stuff an old skate tight leg with some of it, add some activated charcoal, and keep it in the bag to reduce mildew and all that.

But back to original question ...

For travel:  seperate dress bag, seperate skate bag, comp makeup bag in skate bag, and then the smallest practical suitcase as you're already lugging a ton of stuff. Heys bags are nice and sturdy, and with the wheels, work very well. They protect skates well too if you're putting them in that.