You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: SF: Mazurka Jump  (Read 6427 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
SF: Mazurka Jump
« on: January 25, 2011, 11:58:28 AM »
Here is a thread from the Archives:

katz in boots
05-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Mazurkas are about to become a requirement in our re-vamped Aussie Skate (LTS) program. No-one here seems to know what one should look like. I've read the descriptions and searched for a good video on youtube.

There was a thread here a few years ago with a link to a video but the link has since been removed. Best I found on youtube was someone roller blading but it wasn't terribly helpful.

To me it looks like a 1/2 toe-loop, but there's supposed to be some sort of scissor action, with legs crossed in the air.

Anyone got a good vid of this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isk8NYC
05-07-2009, 07:29 PM
The Mazurka is a required element for the USFSA Basic 8 test level.

You can search YouTube to find programs with that jump demonstrated.

For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SmNFYFIosM&t=1m20s/

The skater does a nicely-crossed mazurka around 1:20.

It's a back outside edge takeoff, tap behind, *cross feet in air*, land on toepick opposite the picking foot, push off onto a forward edge.

For CCW, I teach:
. RFI 3 Turn
. Hold RBO edge
. Rotate the shoulders so that the left shoulder is pressed back
. Pick in with left foot to take off straight up
. "Kick" the right foot across in front so the legs cross in the air
. Land on the right toepick
. Push onto a LFI edge with a strong cross-check

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AgnesNitt
05-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Is there a mazurka at about 2:00 in this video?

(I'm jump recognition deficient)

Isk8NYC
05-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Is there a mazurka at about 2:00 in this video?
No, I only saw some incredible split jumps. If he had touched his toes, they would have been Russian Splits.
What a great program though - thanks for sharing it!

In the Mazurka, the skater has to cross their legs.

katz in boots
05-08-2009, 03:30 AM
...For example: <snip>

Thanks for that link. To me it looks like a 1/2 toe-loop except it seems the jump actually takes off forwards, or at least side on? And for a CCW the right leg is kicked through, hence the reference to a "scissor" action or crossed legs? You have to get into the air first, before the kick, or does that help you get off the ice? Have I got it right?

Isk8NYC  (New)
01-25-2011, 12:04 PM

A "Half-Toe Loop" is an apt description because the Mazurka is a good preparation for the Toe Loop - same entry and pick-in.  That movement of the free foot across the picking foot that we're calling a "cross" is really what makes a good toe loop great.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright