You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: An ineffective coach or no coach at all?  (Read 4260 times)

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
Re: An ineffective coach or no coach at all?
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2015, 11:08:42 AM »
I totally agree with this! And this is one of the reasons I disagreed with a former longtime coach. I stayed with him because he was the best available and I wanted to take lessons. At the same time, I wished he was less dogmatic. He firmly believed that there was only one "right" way, for the only reason that that's how he does it. I do as he tells me, but in my head, I really wished he'd take the time to watch videos from ICoachSkating and MySkateCoach, just so he'd see that there are several possible approaches.

This is purely down to personality. It doesn't matter what level the coach is, sometimes personalities just clash, and it's never going to work out. No one's ever going to be the perfect match, but if they aren't willing to look at things from different angles they're never going to make a good coach.

This is one of the reasons I suggested you ask them to discuss your way of learning and whilst they may not be able to do it exactly the way you want you may be able to meet in the middle / find some common ground which allows you to progress.

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2015, 02:25:37 PM »
As someone who has kids who have no coach  6 months out of the year  its hard. Really really hard. A pair of eyes is important.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2015, 10:05:13 PM »
I, maybe I guessed wrong in assuming your interest in progressives meant you wanted to become an ice dancer...

If you are talking singles skating, my reasons for wanting to go with the most common local style obviously don't apply...

Oops.