You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Ask Any Question Part 2 - fsf  (Read 5979 times)

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 384
Ask Any Question Part 2 - fsf
« on: September 01, 2010, 12:34:33 AM »
Mrs Redboots
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Title: Ask Any Question, part 2
Posted: 08-05-2003, 12:43 PM

Okay, my question is:

What is your on-ice warm-up routine? 

96.23??
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: 08-05-2003, 02:28 PM

I usually do 1-2 laps of russian stroking fwds then bkwds. Then back spins, single jumps, lunges and spirals sometimes.

I think they may have been asked already but

Do you do a warm down and if so what is it? 

ChristianeDK

Posted: 08-05-2003, 02:34 PM

Usually just drinking hot chocolate with my skating friends
and then cycling a few miles home (I've been told I'm too flexible some places to stretch out immediately after being active)

What do you work on the most: Elements you do good or elements you're really terrible at? (Honestly! )

(What's Russian stroking btw?) 

icenut84

Posted: 08-05-2003, 03:09 PM

I tend to try to work on elements I can't do that well (e.g. spins), and once I get fed up or de-spirited, I start doing things I'm better at (e.g. footwork), occasionally doing the bad stuff too but not as much.

What's a good way to gently improve turnout, without damaging your knees or anything? 

dani

Post Title: Russian Stroking
Posted: 08-05-2003, 03:28 PM

I can't answer the prior question, so please let it stand.

Russian Stroking is also known as Perimeter Crossover stroking. That is the stroking where you skate a left outside edge, crossover (I do progressives), then hit a left inside edge. Repeat for that direction.

At least *my* coach calls that Russian stroking ;-)

Hugs!
Danielle 

CanAmSk8ter

Posted: 08-05-2003, 05:20 PM

I'll answer the question about turnout with one word: ballet. If you can't take classes, there's a book by Peter Martins called "The NYC Ballet Workout", or something like that, that's supposed to be good. I would think you could find it on Amazon.

Do you take any kind of off-ice classes? I take ballet once a week during school and three days a week during the summer, and I also took ballroom for awhile last year. 

96.23??

Post Title: Re: Russian Stroking
Posted: 08-05-2003, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dani
I can't answer the prior question, so please let it stand.

Russian Stroking is also known as Perimeter Crossover stroking. That is the stroking where you skate a left outside edge, crossover (I do progressives), then hit a left inside edge. Repeat for that direction.

At least *my* coach calls that Russian stroking ;-)

Hugs!
Danielle 

Yup that's it!

Well in the summer the session i take comes with an off ice class.. but this winter/fall I will be taking pilates and ballet.

I don't have a question so anyone can just ask one for me. 

sk8er1964

Posted: 08-05-2003, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CanAmSk8ter
Do you take any kind of off-ice classes? I take ballet once a week during school and three days a week during the summer, and I also took ballroom for awhile last year. 

OK, let's work off of CanAm's question.

I don't currently do any off ice, but I would like to. My club doesn't have any adult-focused off ice (and I don't want to be with the kids), but another club nearby does. The problem is that it hasn't fit into my schedule so far.

Are you planning to test anything any time soon? (For me, Intermediate MIF next month, I hope.) 

Stormy

Posted: 08-05-2003, 08:40 PM

Well, since I turn 25 later this month, I want to take Pre-Bronze, Bronze & Silver Moves and Free ASAP. Plus Intermediate Moves before the end of the year.

What was the last thing you tested? Mine was Juvenile moves last March. Third time was the charm for me! 

skaternum

Posted: 08-05-2003, 08:41 PM

Heck no! I was smart enough to eek out a Silver freeskating test before MITF became mandatory for adults. I may never test again! Ha!

Have you ever seen a video of your first test/competition? I still laugh my butt off when I watch mine. Deer in headlights! 

skaternum

Posted: 08-05-2003, 08:42 PM

Oops! POsted at the same time. I'll answer again.

Obviously, last thing tested was Silver freeskate.

Have you ever seen a video of your first test/competition? 

CanAmSk8ter

Posted: 08-05-2003, 09:11 PM

Not my first, but I recently went back and watched some of my videos from 1998-1999, and then my Paso Doble from my first Novice competition in 2001. Painful.

How many dances have you learned? 

StarshineXavier

Posted: 08-05-2003, 10:30 PM

Out of the 23 in the regular Canadian dance tests, I have been taught 19.5 of them at one point in my life. I know Sr. Bronze (Ten-Fox, 14 step, European) up to Quickstep and Westminister and a bit of the Argentine from the Gold test, and I have to relearn Preliminary (Dutch Waltz, Canasta, Baby Blues)and Jr. Bronze (Swing, Fiesta, Willow) dances for the coaching course I'm taking. Lots of dancing for me!

What's the most amount of times you've had to retry a test, and what test was it? 

sk8er1964

Posted: 08-05-2003, 10:48 PM

The second figure test. I have no idea how many times I tested and failed the darn thing -- probaby three. I hated figures! (Which makes me wonder -- how far could I have gone if they had had MIF's in the 70's instead of figures since my freestlye was so far in advance of my figures....oh well -- doesn't matter now )

Have you had a "WHOOPEE!!!" moment in your skating lately? 

mikawendy

Posted: 08-05-2003, 11:00 PM

Yes, recently I was practicing spirals and my instructor and another instructor were screaming (yes, yes, I bragged about this in the lessons thread, it's just rare that I get such a reaction from my skating).

If there's anything you could take from one MIF (or FS or dance) test and put it in another test level, what would it be? (I'd swap the power 3s in Bronze MIF for the alternating 3s in Pre-Bronze--I think the power 3s are easier than the %*&$ alternating 3s!) 

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
Re: Ask Any Question Part 2 - fsf
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 12:34:51 AM »
TreSk8sAZ

Posted: 08-05-2003, 11:14 PM

I would take the power pulls from pre juv MITF and swap them with the prelim alternating forward 3s. I've been doing power pulls for nearly as long as I've been skating.

Are there any moves that you simply cannot do your "normal" skating direction? (for me, twizzles come more easily CW than my usual CCW) 

StarshineXavier

Posted: 08-05-2003, 11:24 PM

I cannot hydroblade in my normal direction. I can only go clockwise, not counter clockwise. I'm working on CCW, but it's not going to well.

What's your first skating memory? 

TashaKat

Posted: 08-06-2003, 03:19 AM

Feeling like a right prat doing that backward walk thing to start learning going backwards ..... for some reason I could go forwards fairly 'ok' so don't really have memories about that!

What's the funniest thing that your coach has said to you? 

Mrs Redboots

Posted: 08-06-2003, 08:07 AM

It wasn't actually repeatable on a public forum, but the funniest thing I heard a coach - not actually mine - say that is repeatable was when he got out his wallet while his skater was doing her programme, and we went, "Huh?", so he went, "I think she must have dropped a five pound note on the ice, as she keeps looking for it!"

What can you now do that you despaired of ever being able to? For me, it is turning at speed, which I still can't do without a partner, but can quite well with one. 

CanAmSk8ter

Posted: 08-06-2003, 04:45 PM

Honestly, I don't think there's anything I've learned that I didn't think I'd get eventually. But I have a funny story that's kind of related to this question. In December 2001, I finally passed my Foxtrot on my third try. I struggled with that dance for months, and my coach kept telling me, "One day, this dance will be absolutely nothing to you. You won't be able to believe you had so much trouble with it." I said no way, I was never going to be able to do it easily, etc. Well last week, I had to take the ISI dances that I hadn't taken yet to qualify for ISI Nationals. (Because I've passed Pre-Silver in USFSA, I had to pass through level 5 to compete; I actually took through level 6 since those are the same dances I'm working on in USFSA except the European, whcih I've passed). Anyway, my coach and I are on a very crowded Juvenile-Intermediate session waiting for the judge to arrive, and we start going through the dances we hadn't done in awhile- the Fourteenstep, Foxtrot, and European. We've been doing the Rocker and American to death lately anyway. We went through the Foxtrot, which I quite literally haven't done in the year-and-a-half since I passed it, and my coach just stopped and looked at me. I was expecting a lecture about something I had forgotten, but instead he asked me if I remembered when he told me I would one day do this with no trouble. I knew exactly what was coming, and he looked at me and said, "I'm going to enjoy this. I-TOLD-YOU-SO!"

Has your coach ever lost his/her temper with you? 

BittyBug

Posted: 08-06-2003, 04:53 PM

Yes. I had one coach who was quite hot-tempered and would yell at me quite a bit for jumping too close to the boards and for being afraid to try things.

What's your most embarassing costume moment? 

sk8er1964

Posted: 08-06-2003, 05:19 PM

This wasn't really embarassing - mostly just painful. When I was sixteen I fell in warmup for competition on a double loop. In the fall, I basically ended up siting on the end of the blade. Cut open the bottom of the dress (and my bottom too). Mom sewed it up (the dress, not my bottom) and I still competed, but the dress was ruined.

Do you like doing moves in the field? (I hated figures, but don't mind MIF's). 

CanAmSk8ter

Posted: 08-06-2003, 06:50 PM

I wasn't crazy about figures, but I preferred them to MIF by a long shot.

What MIF are you working on right now? I'm on Novice- probably part of why I say I preferred figures! 

jamie_rae352

Posted: 08-06-2003, 07:10 PM

I like Ina Bauers!!

How do you get your balance on a layback spin? 

dani

Posted: 08-06-2003, 09:37 PM

I am starting to work on my Gold MIF and am competing the 8 step and slide chasse at the Peach.

How many people from here have you met? (I have met a lot of people, and have even competed against Flutzilla, Skaternum, Ice T, JLyon, LWalsh, and Taz (of the top of my head) and have met lots of others!

Hugs!
Danielle 

dani

Posted: 08-06-2003, 09:38 PM

Oops somehow I must have had an old copy!!

Anway, I can't answer the layback, so maybe the next person can answer both! ;-) 

TashaKat

Posted: 08-07-2003, 03:21 AM

I've met MelanieUK, Mrs Redboots and Batikat, NickiT ..... don't think I've met anyone else ... mmmmmm

Layback spin - not exactly my forte but when I was learning it I was told to think about pushing my hips forward to counterbalance bringing my shoulders/head back. At the end of the day it's PRACTISE and trial and error.

Most embarrassing thing that your coach has said/done?

(Mine was when my coach tripped over whilst we were doing the PRELIM FOXTROT and ripped my skirt off ..... I HATE showing my butt! Actually that wasn't the MOST embarrassing but I can't recount that one as it's too rude. Oh, there was the time that I skated up behind him whilst he was talking to some parents who'd interrupted my lesson, went to pinch his butt, fell over and got tangled in his feet .... oh and the time ..... sorry not my question ) 

Mrs Redboots

Posted: 08-07-2003, 09:06 AM

My coach and two ten-year-olds were playing after the latters' lesson one day and he instigated a competition to see who could slide furthest on their bottoms over the ice.... and a tea-tray got involved somewhere, and..... well, I did wonder for a while how old he was.....

Does your rink get speed bumps/stalactites/"poached eggs" - those condensation bumps - when it's hot, or have you a sensible dehumidifier? 

TashaKat

Posted: 08-07-2003, 10:10 AM

Oh yes ..... and Queen's was even worse! Plus we have a 'ramp' at the end corner of the rink where the Zamboni goes in and out!

What's your favourite MOVE?

Here's one of mine (named by Madame as the 'Old Man's Death Spiral' :

jamie_rae352

Posted: 08-07-2003, 11:27 AM

My favourite movie is my colletion of tapes of Jamie SalĂ© and David Pelletier!!

If you could succeed in any aspect of skating (like, a gold medal @ the Olympics) what would it be?

(Pairs!!) 

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 12:35:09 AM »
StarshineXavier

Posted: 08-07-2003, 12:44 PM

I've already done it. As a young girl, I wanted to win a National Championship. In March of 1999, I succeeded as a part of the winning Novice Synchronized Skating team. We had ordinals of 1 from each of the 9 judges. It was absolutely amazing!

What do your non-skating friends think of you for skating? 

Sk8Bunny

Posted: 08-07-2003, 01:27 PM

My friends think its the koolest thing! They are so supportive of my skating and love to come watch me practice and go to my competitions. Sometimes I get really nervous if I know they are watching cause I want to impress them, lol, but I love their enthusiasm and support for me being a skater. Before a competition, they are so encouraging and say positive stuff to me. They know how to support me without getting me over stressed,etc. One of my friends, she is the greatest, cuase i am kinda shy sometimes and dont usually talk about skating except to my closer friends. Well in dance class, she will tell everyone when I have a show/comp coming up(something i would never tell everyone lol), and it is really nice of her. Gosh, i cant begin to describe how supportive my friends are about my skating. I owe so much to them! They are the best!!

What jump took you the longest to master? 

icenut84

Posted: 08-07-2003, 03:44 PM

I've only learnt up to the flip so far (and haven't *mastered* all them yet) but the loop took the longest to land and feels least natural.

Do you think you have good technique? (I think I have good technique on some things, like stroking and turns and some jumps, but not so good on jumps like the salchow and toe loop because I was taught them wrong - I was taught to basically toe-waltz - and I've corrected that but it takes more repetitions to get the corrections to be instinctive, if that makes any sense). 

flying~camel

Posted: 08-07-2003, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jamie_rae352
How do you get your balance on a layback spin? [/B] 

I enter the spin from a LFO 3, get my center, then go back. I usually stick my hands behind my back during the spin, because when I put them over me, I end up leaning to the right too much and lose my balance.

What is your favorite competition of all time? Mine would have to be the Homewood-Flossmoor ISI Team Open in Homewood, IL. I always skated well at that one, and have many fond memories 

TreSk8sAZ

Posted: 08-07-2003, 05:00 PM

Since one was posted quite later than the question, I'll answer both.

I think I have decent technique on all of the skills I've been working on for quite awhile, but new things,like brackets, aren't as great simply because they're new. I'm always finding a new way to mess up my technique!

My favorite competition was the Desert Breeze simply because it was a team competition (4 person) and it was a ton of fun!

What combonation of elements is your favorite in a footwork sequence? 

skatepixie

Posted: 08-07-2003, 11:08 PM

I dont do footwork but I like to watch w/e u call what sasha does...lol

Do you prefer watching or doing? 

TashaKat

Posted: 08-08-2003, 03:07 AM

Definitely DOING ..... I get bored watching even the elite except for a very select few!

Waltzes or Tangos? 

dani

Posted: 08-08-2003, 09:45 AM

Tangos without a doubt! They are so easy to express! We have a young girl doing a program to Hernandos Hideaway and even my moves are better to a tango!

Broadway or Classical? (I love both, but would prefer Broadway) 

BittyBug

Posted: 08-08-2003, 09:52 AM

For me, classical all the way. I think West Side Story is about the only Broadway choice that works for me. Personally, I cannot stand, absolutely detest, abhor, Fosse numbers. I don't like them on the stage and I like them even less on the ice.

I don't think this question has been asked yet - regular tights or over the boot? (Regular for me - I think over the boot make feet look too big and ruin the leg line.) 

Mrs Redboots

Posted: 08-08-2003, 10:06 AM

I'm the other way round - I far prefer the look of over-boot tights! Plus my coach won't let me wear boot covers at a competition.

What colour is your "best" competition dress? 

jamie_rae352

Posted: 08-08-2003, 12:00 PM

Navy blue, soon to be lavender....

Who have you admired your whole life? 

Mrs Redboots

Posted: 08-08-2003, 01:53 PM

If you mean "which skater", that's a difficult one to answer, as I'm much, much older than you are, and figure skating was very different when I was young. Not that I was aware of it, as there wasn't a rink near where we lived. But what mattered was compulsory figures, not free skating - if you can get hold of a book called either White Boots or Skating Shoes by Noel Streatfield (it's published under both titles; the former was her original), you will see what it was like for skaters in the 1950s.

But Jayne Torvill & Christopher Dean are my ice-dancing heroes!

Did you start skating in the days when compulsory figures mattered? And if so, do you miss them or are you glad they've gone? 

dancing_queen

Posted: 08-08-2003, 05:36 PM

unfortunatly i hadnt but i do wish that i had because they teach very good co-ordination and timing ( according to my coach) and i think that hey would be extremly helpful.

what is your favorite theme of music to skate to (example: jazz, swing, tango)?? 

skatepixie

Posted: 08-09-2003, 02:55 AM

pop. one of my firends calls my music "sugar pop"

What is yr least favorite music to skate to?
I hate rock so thats what Im gonna say. Its hard to skate to music u abhore. 

Mrs Redboots

Posted: 08-09-2003, 11:15 AM

I don't like to skate to music that has no discernible beat - one of the tunes to the Canadian Cha-Cha is just awful until you get to know it.

Which is your least favourite day for practicing? I think mine is Saturday, as the early session can be very crowded. 

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 12:35:30 AM »
dani

Posted: 08-09-2003, 12:14 PM

I would have to say Monday. On Monday mornings my legs are just more tired - I usually don't get to skate on the weekends.

Have you ever had ice that was "the best" you have ever skated on? Last year at the Peach, they built the ice and I was one of the first on it. They didn't an extra good zam and I felt on one stroke I could skate for ever. For "normal" ice it is the Dr. Pepper StarCenter in Duncanville, TX 

luna_skater

Posted: 08-09-2003, 05:38 PM

I loved the ice at the Brampton Center for last year's Festival Nationals (the competition ice, definitely NOT the practice ice!), and I always love the ice at the Max Bell Arena in Calgary.

What's the WORST ice you've ever skated on? 

Stormy

Posted: 08-10-2003, 05:17 PM

Has to be a toss up between a rink in Dracut, MA (also the COLDEST rink in the world) and the ice at the Colonial Open a few years back. No offense to anyone who skates at either rink!

Where did you have your best competition? 

dancing_queen

Posted: 08-10-2003, 05:27 PM

my best competion was the first one of last season, when i got firdt and my best friends got second..we cleaned up

im not sure if this qeustion has been asked but, what is the element that you have had the most trouble with? mine would have to b single axle but after i got that most of my double jump came together 

jamie_rae352

Posted: 08-10-2003, 05:47 PM

My hardest jump to get was my single axel, I had to anticipate a clean landing, not a fall before I got it...

Have you ever designed your own skating dress and worn it at practice/competition?

I have, it's for my first year of Harry Potter, now I'm desiging one for my second year.... 

d b n y

Posted: 08-10-2003, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jamie_rae352
Have you ever designed your own skating dress and worn it at practice/competition? 

As a teenager, I designed most of my roller dance dresses for competition and practice. My dad made custom slipcovers, and fitted the dresses on me as if I were a chair Some of them were even made from leftover slipcover fabric. We didn't have stretchy stuff in those days, so it didn't matter much. Unfortunatley, my mom gave them all away after I left home, but I still have a few pix.

Did you ever have to change your costume at a competition because someone disapproved of it or because of a flaw found at the last minute? At roller skating Nationals in about 1965 some moralistic idiot made my parents go home and get another dress because they said the skirt was too short on the one I was wearing (one I designed, and was made from leftovers). That poor fool is probably spinning in his/her grave now 

SDFanatic

Posted: 08-10-2003, 09:42 PM

I haven't done a competition yet, but if and when I finally do one, I'm not going to change just because someone doesn't like it. If they don't like it, tough, I'm expressing me, not their opinion.

Which boot do you tighten first, left or right?

Steven 

d b n y

Posted: 08-10-2003, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SDFanatic
I haven't done a competition yet, but if and when I finally do one, I'm not going to change just because someone doesn't like it. If they don't like it, tough, I'm expressing me, not their opinion.

Which boot do you tighten first, left or right?

Steven 

er - you might change your costume if you were told you could not compete otherwise

I always put my right skate on first and tighten it first. I do the right completely, then the left.

No new question here, just wanted to clarify the situation to Steven. 

SDFanatic

Posted: 08-10-2003, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by d b n y
er - you might change your costume if you were told you could not compete otherwise 

Actually, the way I read the rules, one would get a .1 point reduction for inappropiate attire, course what I wear at times is a whole thread onto itself.

Steven 

CanAmSk8ter

Posted: 08-11-2003, 12:08 AM

Actually, that's an interesting question. I know there's a .1 deduction for a costume that's not "dignified, modest, and appropriate for athletic competition" or however it's worded, but does the same deduction apply to the "men must wear trousers" rule? I've never heard of an infraction of that rule, and of course I can't find the answer in the rulebook at the moment. (Is there a reason that the rulebook doesn'thave an index?)

My personal feeling is that the costume is/should be an extension of the presentation mark. I wouldn't deduct for a costume just because I personally didn't like it, but it does factor into my overall feeling about a skater's performance. An gaudy, level- and/or age-inappropriate dress, or one that has a "theme" but doesn't match the music (skating to a strong tango in a feminine, light pink dress, for example) is going to leave me with the same kind of impression as a sloppy ponytail or, less so, dirty unpolished skates. But I honestly don't know what I'd do as a judge, referee, test chair, etc. if a male skater showed up in a dress. I don't know what I'd even be allowed to do. My first thought was disqualification, but I'm not sure that would be allowed. Anyone know for sure?

Anyhow, we're a little off track here. Not that I mind, but I'll add a question anyway.

Do you usually buy your competition outfits off-the-rack, or do you have them made for you? 

dancing_queen

Posted: 08-11-2003, 12:19 AM

I have all of my costumes custoum made..by my MOM!!

does anyone have any tips on how to hydroblade? 

TashaKat

Posted: 08-11-2003, 06:38 AM

If you PM me your e-mail address I'll send you through some 'tips' from a magazine that I have.

My ex-dance partner is brilliant at hydroblading but his sit spin isn't as sitting as you would expect! When we did a 'couples' one (you can see it on MY WEBSITE I found it more about the 'head' than anything else!! Having the bottle to go for it achieved MUCH more than thinking about it!!

icenut84

Posted: 08-11-2003, 06:44 AM

You forgot to add a question, TashaKat! 

melanieuk

Posted: 08-11-2003, 06:44 AM

Do you always sit in the same spot when you get your boots on or off? 

sk8er1964

Posted: 08-11-2003, 10:04 AM

I never thought about it before, but yeah - I guess I do

Do you belong to a figure skating club or are you an independant? 

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 12:35:48 AM »
TashaKat

Posted: 08-11-2003, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by icenut84
You forgot to add a question, TashaKat! 

Oh heck, sorry Am at work so have to keep shutting down ..... it's hot, I'm tired (had my first show jumping lesson this morning) and there aren't many patients (I'm bored) ......

Erm, what was it now?

Oh, I'll answer the question first .....

No, I skated independently. Our club was either geared to beginner kids or 'recreational' dance adults ie not my scene. I was once told that I shouldn't be doing free skating at my age!!!

Which do you get more nervous for competitions or tests? (I always got more nervous for tests but quite enjoyed competitions )

vesperholly

Posted: 08-11-2003, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CanAmSk8ter
But I honestly don't know what I'd do as a judge, referee, test chair, etc. if a male skater showed up in a dress. I don't know what I'd even be allowed to do. My first thought was disqualification, but I'm not sure that would be allowed. Anyone know for sure? 

Jay Kobayashi dressed as Michelle Kwan in a replica of her 2002 LP dress (red) for Adult Nationals Interp. He wasn't disqualified or even penalized - he won! But "extravagant" costuming is allowed in Interps, is it not?

Honestly I don't think any male skater in their right mind would show up for a "real" competition in a dress. Skating tends to be rather conformist about those kinds of things. Not many men even wear unitards.

Jocelyn 

LWalsh

Posted: 08-11-2003, 10:40 AM

I think I get more nervous in tests or compeitions where there is no music involved. (like a moves or compulsory competition)

Do you have a routine before competitions or tests to calm your nerves? 

SDFanatic

Posted: 08-11-2003, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vesperholly
Jay Kobayashi dressed as Michelle Kwan in a replica of her 2002 LP dress (red) for Adult Nationals Interp. He wasn't disqualified or even penalized - he won! But "extravagant" costuming is allowed in Interps, is it not?

Honestly I don't think any male skater in their right mind would show up for a "real" competition in a dress. Skating tends to be rather conformist about those kinds of things. Not many men even wear unitards.

Jocelyn 

Never seen that about Jay Kobayashi.

And no doubt about conforming, I know many people who don't move on because of it. You say it's a dress, I say it's a kilt, keeps most people happy, black pants are so boring! (I think unitards are even worse! Course their banned from copititions anyways)

Steven 

Mrs Redboots

Posted: 08-11-2003, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LWalsh
Do you have a routine before competitions or tests to calm your nerves? 

Not really; I try to listen to my music on headphones and mentally plan which step comes where. I make sure I am thoroughly warmed-up and ready to go, and then, in an ideal world, I find someone to chat to to take my mind off things! Otherwise I get rather cross, and, trust me, you don't want to be around when I'm feeling like that.....

When is your next lesson booked for? 

TreSk8sAZ

Posted: 08-11-2003, 06:30 PM

My next lesson is supposed to be Wednesday, if I decide to take it... I'm so off right now I'm thinking no, so it will be Friday.

Hmm... How many lessons do you take a week? 

StarshineXavier

Posted: 08-11-2003, 06:34 PM

Usually 1-2 freeskate lessons and 1 dance lesson.

Have you invented any new "moves", if so, describe. If not, have you ever tried or wanted to invent any new "moves"? 

skaternum

Posted: 08-11-2003, 07:33 PM

Oh, yes. I've created several new, signature moves. My fav is the Flying T-Stop. It's most effective if you do it right in front of the judges, at the end of a program. I've also been working on the Singles Death Spiral. It's sort of a hydroblade, but you put your left arm on the ice and scootch around it. It works best if you wear a costume with a white long glove on the left side, so your arm & hand blend into the ice.

Seriously, I have created a silly spin, which I named after a friend. You know that game you played as a kid, where you pat your head and rub your tummy at the same time? You do that while doing a scratch spin! It's a hoot!

On your competition outfit, do you like it "sparkly" or plain? 

jamie_rae352

Posted: 08-11-2003, 07:43 PM

For my competition outfit, it depends on the event I'm enetering and the type of music I'm skating to.

How far of a drive is your nearest skating boutique???

(Mine is about 2 hours) 

dancing_queen

Posted: 08-11-2003, 07:47 PM

an hour

--------------------------------
what do u think of the new judging system, that had been created after the controversy in the pairs event at the olympics? is it better or worse the n the previous system? 

luna_skater

Posted: 08-11-2003, 10:30 PM

I haven't studied it quite as indepthly as some others have. But just from browsing over some of the dance marking the other day, I have a hard time seeing how the judges are supposed to agree on whether the stroking was "strong," "robust," or "powerful." Doesn't seem to be any less subjective than what we have now, IMO.

How close is your relationship with your coach? 

Sk8Bunny

Posted: 08-11-2003, 11:52 PM

Well, i have 3 coaches, and an ex-coach. lol. My ex coach was a single lady, mid-30's, and we were really good friends. when i sprained my ankle and was off the ice for a month, she would call me just to cheer me up. we would email, talk about our lasted guys we liked, lol. when we were in a lesson, it was all bussiness, but off the ice, we were quite funny, always having fun. it was kinda a sarah hughes/robyn wagner type relationship. i miss her as a coach, but im glad i am with my new coach, cause she will help me go farther. My primary coach now, she is much older, and although we have fun and get along well, it is much different. She is more like a mother figure than a friend figure. I respect her a lot tho. And my other coaches arent my primary coaches, but i have known them for 3 years and work with them in the summer. Both are guys in their late 20's early 30's. We all get along well, and have fun on the ice, etc, but it is much more disciplined and they are very professional with their coaching. But considering i am a teen-age girl, that is the best relationship to have(a professional one i mean). We still laugh and all, and one of them is funnier than the other, lol, but yeah, it is more disciplined. I really luv all my coaches cause they are all so great and each have their own personality and coaching method, so it is interesting to be caoched by 3 different people; each caoch has a unquie(sp?)/different relationship.

How many coaches have you had?(including ones now, and ones fired in the past) 

dancing_queen

Posted: 08-12-2003, 12:54 AM

the same freekate coach all of my life..but 4 diffrent dance coaches..i currently have 2 dance caoches

----------------------------------------

thinking back to the dance portion 2003 worlds in washington, the team that shae-lynn bourne adn victor kraatz beat, stated that the main reason that B& K won was becasue they have been in this sport for so long and are retireing after this performance- there for it was all political. Do you think that that was the case, the the dance event was judjed on politics or was B& K better skaters? (personally i thin B&K were had overall better programs) 

luna_skater

Posted: 08-12-2003, 01:05 AM

In my personal opinion, L/A's free program didn't hold a candle to B/K's. I don't think BK won based on politics, because it was a 5-4 split. Who knows if it would have been different if different judges marks had been selected. If anything, I think L/A got their votes based on politics.

What do you think about skate covers and over-the-boot tights? 

dancing_queen

Posted: 08-12-2003, 01:16 AM

i dont persoanlly like either

-------------------------------

what made you want to get into skating ( i started beacuse my older sister took leasons and beacuse " i wanted to skate like the peoelple on t.v) 

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 12:36:05 AM »
icedancer2

Posted: 08-12-2003, 01:18 AM

I don't like over-the-boot tights at all. I think they make your foot look clunky and contrary to popular belief, do not make your leg look longer or like you have better extension than you do.

Give me regular tights with white boots any day (or footless tights over the top part of your boot is fine).

Boot covers are okay, but I prefer to see the skates. I have some leather bootcovers that are warm, but tend to stick together a little bit as I pass my feet -- gets a little scarey sometimes!

What exactly is a twizzle? 

SDFanatic

Posted: 08-12-2003, 01:21 AM

I think skate covers are ok, I think I'll buy a few more to match my outfits and such and keep the scuffs down on my new boots. As for over the boot tights, I dunno, I personaly think they make my feet look bigger, but others say it looks good.

Is your rink more oreinted toward hockey? Or do they actually have pictures of figure skaters on the wall instead of jerseys?

Steven 

Mrs Redboots

Posted: 08-12-2003, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by icedancer2
What exactly is a twizzle? 

A sort-of double 3-turn with no check in the middle. A bit scary.....

(And to answer the previous question, I wouldn't skate with naked boots! No way, absolutely not!).

If you could choose any colour boots you wanted - even rainbow stripes or leopard-skin print (and I've seen the latter!), what would they be? 

TashaKat

Posted: 08-12-2003, 08:57 AM

They're gorgeous .... I nearly bought them instead of my purple beasties but they are actually 'hairy' and I thought that I'd probably ruin them too quickly. They're VERY tactile .... I sat throughout my fitting stroking the sample

Which discipline do you prefer to WATCH?

jamie_rae352

Posted: 08-12-2003, 11:43 AM

I LOVE watching pairs!

Ummmm............. How do you feel about Elvis Stojko coming back to amateur? 

StarshineXavier

Posted: 08-12-2003, 01:14 PM

I don't like it at all. I haven't been a fan of his since 1998, and I was happy when he left, so that Canada's other skaters could have a chance to compete on the world stage. Now that he's back, I feel that he's denying others spaces competing internationally.

Which skater do you really want to retire, and who made you really sad when they retired? 

icenut84

Posted: 08-12-2003, 01:16 PM

I don't think anyone should *have* to retire, including Elvis. If he still has the desire to skate and to compete, more power to him. But it does make the tribute to him at the 02 Canadian Nationals look a bit pointless now.

Which element do you enjoy most - jumps, spins or footwork? (I'd say footwork). 

icenut84

Posted: 08-12-2003, 01:18 PM

Oops - answered at the same time! I'll answer StarshineXavier's question: I don't want *anyone* to retire! I didn't want anyone to retire after the Olympics either. Those that made me sad when they retired were Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze, Abitbol & Bernadis, and all the top dance teams.

I'll keep my question the same - jumps, spins or fotowork? 

flo

Posted: 08-12-2003, 01:25 PM

Edges, death spirals, lifts, throws, then jumps, spins and footwork.

Do you like or dislike skating at a new rink?
I enjoy the change. 

LWalsh

Posted: 08-12-2003, 02:10 PM

I normally skate at such a dump of a rink that I am thrilled to go ANYWHERE else. If I told how horrible it is there you's all think I was exaggerating.

Do your non-skating friends come to your compeitions to watch you skate? A couple of my friends have offered and I think it will make me more nervous. After all...It isn't exactly like on tv. 

SDFanatic

Posted: 08-12-2003, 02:47 PM

I haven't done competitions yet, but I think I'd be nervous no matter what! At least for a while anyways, too much pressure lol.

I'm going to repeat my skipped question,

Is your rink more oreinted toward hockey? Or do they actually have pictures of figure skaters on the wall instead of jerseys?

Steven 

PattyP

Posted: 08-12-2003, 02:59 PM

Hockey ruled at my old rink, FS sessions were constantly cancelled for hockey. My current rink is much more figure skater friendly, if fact I haven't had a session cancelled for hockey since I started skating there a year ago.

What is more nerve-racking to test, MITF or Freestyle? I've only tested FS so I don't know what it's like to test moves. I think the lack of music will make it tougher.

PattyP 

skaternum

Posted: 08-12-2003, 04:42 PM

I think MITF tests are worse, because they're so quiet and the judges are so picky! Plus, without the music, there's nothing to keep me moving through it except my own will.

Are the adult skaters at your club/rink supportive of each other? Ours are always very supportive of each other, even when we're competing against each other. 

dani

Posted: 08-12-2003, 04:51 PM

We have one adult skater at my rink who is head and shoulders above the rest. (She should be, she won her Gold event at nationals!) She is very supportive and knows what it is like.

The rest of us range from just doing 3 turns etc. to a little better than me. We are all very supportive of each other. I have been told I am an inspiration and in turn there are others who inspire me!

What is your favorite game on the public sessions? I like red/green light because of the fast stops 

Sho

Posted: 08-12-2003, 05:34 PM

Blob

Favorite Dance? 

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 12:36:26 AM »
d b n y

Posted: 08-12-2003, 05:59 PM

Paso Doble and Argentine Tango, which I will probably never be able to do on ice, but love from my roller dance days.

Which dance do you like the least? 

StarshineXavier

Posted: 08-12-2003, 06:46 PM

The Blues. That has the worst choctaw ever! Took me 2 tries, but I got it, and I never have to do it again!

What's your favourite jump? 

dancing_queen

Posted: 08-12-2003, 07:03 PM

double salcow by FAR!!

----------------------

what made you want to start skating lessons when you where younger? 

SDFanatic

Posted: 08-12-2003, 07:51 PM

I didn't start untill I was 33, is that young?

Basicly, more then one person asked me if I knew how to skate since I found it fascinating. So being bored one day in the winter I said what the heck, went skating, and have enjoyed it pretty well ever since.

Does your rink have the full lights on, or just a few?

Steven 

TashaKat

Posted: 08-13-2003, 03:13 AM

Depends how they're feeling! Some days full lights, some days none, some days heating, some days (more than most) none, some days ok ice, some days awful!! Typical rink really

Have you ever skated with an injury?

(Stupid, stupid me skated with a suspected skull fracture ... the day after I did it ... not only did I skate I also was attempting axels! I've also skated with a damaged ligament which helped it no end!!! ) 

skatepixie

Posted: 08-13-2003, 05:13 AM

i broke my ankle and only did one rehab session with it because the dude was quite unreasonable being that I was back to where I was pre-injury and he wouldnt let me skate because I couldnt walk on my heals (which Ive never been able to do, I dont UNDERSTAND how to do, and i still cant do. besides, u dont need that skill to skate.) I returned the second my mom let me (only forward stroking, this was before I ever had a lesson, so I counnt my starting skating as march 2003 because that was when I learned proper stroking and backwards and all that) and Im FINE, allbeit unable to walk on my heals

Has anyone ever had to deal with anyone as STUPID as that rehad dude? 

melanieuk

Posted: 08-13-2003, 07:55 AM

Yes frequently, every day!!

What are your favourite blades? 

Mrs Redboots

Posted: 08-13-2003, 08:25 AM

I've nothing to compare them with, having only ever had Coronation Ace, followed by the equivalent of Coronation Dance.

Have you ever done your programme on a rink that hasn't any hockey circles, and if so, did you find it hard to work out where on earth to start? 

icenut84

Posted: 08-13-2003, 10:09 AM

I've done a dance pattern on a rink that doesn't have any hockey circles. It was a bit confusing where to start, but I just tried to judge it by the distance to the boards in front of me and to the side of me.

What's your favourite spiral to do? (Mine's LFO, straight leg). 

BittyBug

Posted: 08-13-2003, 04:56 PM

LFO spiral as well, followed by RBO.

Do you dream about skating? 

Information   

ForumPilot automatically downloaded 100 posts in this thread.