You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Adult LTS  (Read 8735 times)

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
  • Total GOE: 59
Re: Adult LTS
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 11:18:36 PM »
I'm a brand newbie in LTS, granted I'm not as old as you guys :)

My 2c worth is that if you want to skate & you feel like you can't handle group lessons then it comes down to $. If its possible I'd go for individual lessons, no point in paying out and not enjoying yourself. Of course talk to your coach, see what you can work out between your selves first

I took up lessons simply because I need something to strengthen muscles from old injuries & I wanted something I'd enjoy, I'm not motivated enough to be a gym bunny. I decided the rink was very close to my house (~15mins drive) and after seeing how much figure skating has changed from the old figures - thought it was worth a go.

I skate in the all ages classes because I can't make it on the only night they hold adult LTS. Our class this term was made up of around 10 people ranging from 6/7y to probably one 40+. They decided to cleave the really little guys off into their own sub group, leaving us with a mix of teens and a few of us adults.

In the beginning we had one 'clinger' and unfortunately she didn't get enough attention - the problem in the group situation is they need to teach to the group, not the individual. In general though I can really understand, I was at the top end of the group, my brother whom I coaxed into skating was towards the bottom, he struggled to get a grip on the basics while I was racing across the ice doing swizzles.

Although there are set kiwiskate levels you start at the coaches often mix elements from higher levels to help motivate as a bit of fun, my brother did find some of this a bit difficult but in contrast sometimes he got the more complicated things!

We don't get the option of private lessons!

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2010, 11:01:13 PM »
Thanks, Kiwi. :) I think I figured out part of my issue. When I took LTS last time, I was pretty much a beginner(still am really!). The classes weren't boring to me and I did everything with the class. This time, I am the only one in my class with skating experience. That said... this week was better. I also skated extra this week and I got to thinking about my goals. I want to improve my skating skills and get excercise doing something I enjoy. Taking private lessons is not do-able right now, so I will have to learn to deal with the group lessons for now. I'm currently working on a few different things and one of them is back crossovers which is a definate challenge for me! I'm also working on spinning. I need to learn how to check out. :) So... for now I will do what I can with the sport and go from there. I am learning new stuff... even in a group lesson that may not be the best fit, but it is the only fit for now. I'll likely sign up for an adult session again and then maybe see about taking regular LTS the next session. I guess it really is what you make of it...so who ever said that WAS right. :)

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2010, 03:49:25 PM »
Haha good luck :)

Offline Kat

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 19
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2010, 02:36:33 PM »
I'm one who doesn't like the adult LTS/MITF levels either.  If I ever get edges that don't suck and decide to test, I'm testing standard track.  Yes, there are more levels and more tests (and therefore more time and $), but you feel like you're getting somewhere faster rather than waiting eons until you can take the next adult test.

In the adult LTS class I take, there is no talk of Basic Skills levels at all.  I've never "tested" or "passed" a Basic Skills level.  If I were shooting for testing, then we'd probably just work toward the test.

Right now we're all somewhat around the same level in my class, but of course next session that might change.  If you're not happy with your current classmates, they might be totally different next session, y'know?  I guess it depends on your rink; where I take classes, there are usually several different days/times you can do adult LTS so maybe that's where the variety of classmates comes in...with only one day/time available it might be different, I guess.
"The only thing you have to be afraid of is to not fly."