You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: usfs ages limits  (Read 12410 times)

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 8
usfs ages limits
« on: January 31, 2011, 09:40:59 PM »
dd wants to know what are the various age limits for the competative levels.  I went on the usfs rulebook and the darn thing reads like a court document and I could not find it.  Any help?

Yiles I think i put this is the wrong spot!

Mod edit: It's okay, I moved the thread to the appropriate forum.  It's a good thread, thanks for starting it.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
Re: usfs ages limits
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 10:03:04 PM »
Juvenile level skaters must be under age 13.  Intermediates must be under age 18.  There are other age restrictions for synchro or adult events, but I don't think that's what you're wanting to know.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 10:42:31 PM »
Question... if intermediate is for 18 and under.... and I'm 23.... how would I get to senior levels? Or is there an adult equivalent? :)

I know the levels are:

Pre-Bronze
Bronze
Silver
Gold

but I don't know what's after that....

Offline phoenix

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 74
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 11:53:42 PM »
Question... if intermediate is for 18 and under.... and I'm 23.... how would I get to senior levels? Or is there an adult equivalent? :)

I know the levels are:

Pre-Bronze
Bronze
Silver
Gold

but I don't know what's after that....

If you want to be compete what we call "standard track"--which is w/ the kids, then you would not be able to compete below novice, which is the first level with no age limit. ALTHOUGH-- some competitions do include "open" events, usually open juvenile, which removes the age limit for that group.

If you want to compete as an adult, then you're right, the levels are as you stated. They are separate & have different tests to take, though you may test standard track because there are crossover equivalents.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 12:38:13 AM »
Just butting in for a moment: don't confuse competition rules with testing rules.

If you want to take standard-track tests, you can do so at any age.
For Adult tests, you have to be 21 or older.

In competitions, the events are age-restricted.  Adult events are again for those 21 or older, but the standard-track events use the two age cutoffs that Clarice outlined so succinctly.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 08:41:36 AM »
thanks I'll tell her.

Davinci brought up a question in my head.  So for Novice and Junior you can be as young or as old whatever you are...you never can "age out"?  Obviously for senior a skater can be any age, a senior doesn't have to go to adult track right?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 08:56:19 AM »
You can not age out of novice and junior or senior in the united states.

There are cut offs for the novice and junior levels internationally- but they don't correlate with the USFS tests of those descriptions.  The US has senior level skaters who skate as juniors internationally...  (So if you have Junior Grand Prix aspirations- it's too late.)

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 09:36:46 AM »

There are cut offs for the novice and junior levels internationally- but they don't correlate with the USFS tests of those descriptions.  The US has senior level skaters who skate as juniors internationally...  (So if you have Junior Grand Prix aspirations- it's too late.)

How is that?  I thought it would be the other way around?  Don't people usually skate up, not down?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 09:47:50 AM »
Well, internationally, junior is an age level, not a skill level, so they aren't really skating down.  In general, they aren't as good as the seniors- because if you are good enough to skate as a senior, you probably would.  But in countries like the US or Japan, where there are lots of good senior ladies (for example) some of the younger "senior-ability level" skaters will skate as "junior-age level" skaters.  

The problem is that the same word is used to mean two different things.

(Denis Ten, who skates for Kazakstan, I think- went to Junior Worlds and Senior Worlds last year.  He is a junior by age, but his ability allowed him to be a senior, by skill.  There aren't a lot of skaters in his country, so he just did both.)

An example of an American skater would be Richard Dornbush- he skates as a senior in the US (and just got silver at nationals), but all year he has been competiting as an international junior- on the JGP.  Now, however, because he medalled, he'll be going to regular Worlds, not junior worlds.  However, the US had so many men on the Senior Grand Prix, as an unknown, he wouldn't have been able to get assignments, so he skated as a junior.   It's likely if HE had been in third and not second, the US may have sent him to junior worlds, and leap frogged Jeremy Abott over him to go to senior worlds.  But Ross Miner, who placed 3rd, is too old to be eligible for junior worlds- so the "leap frogging" doesn't really work. 

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 11:15:56 AM »
wow, my head is spinning! 

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 11:21:18 AM »
Junior Worlds just means younger. Think of Kid sneakers and Adult sneakers. That's how I always think of it.

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 12:54:02 PM »
I love reading your posts Sierra.  You sound so mature and responsible and driven.  Way beyond your years!  I am sure you will go far in whatever you set out to do. :hug002

Offline davincisop

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 01:14:03 PM »
My head is spinning, too!  So basically, my plan is to reach my senior levels by the time I'm 30 (fat chance but it's a fun goal), theoretically after I finished adult gold, I'd just jump into the standard track? (I'm 23, I'm in the adult levels because my coach didn't give me a choice lol, just said these are the levels you're doing)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 02:01:57 PM »
Yep, once you finish adult gold you can move to intermediate.  Getting senior moves is a realistic goal if you train well.  Senior free might be tougher, but give it a go!

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 02:31:11 PM »
My head is spinning, too!  So basically, my plan is to reach my senior levels by the time I'm 30 (fat chance but it's a fun goal), theoretically after I finished adult gold, I'd just jump into the standard track? (I'm 23, I'm in the adult levels because my coach didn't give me a choice lol, just said these are the levels you're doing)

I agree with your coach!  When you start as an adult, I think it's better to start with the adult levels because it gives you opportunity to compete against other adults.  You're right - when you finish Gold, you move over to the standard track at Intermediate.  You could compete in adult competitions at Masters Intermediate.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 07:16:51 PM »
I actually wonder if there are guesstimates or stats on the following:

1) out of skaters who pass the preliminary freestyle test, what percentage eventually manages to pass the intermediate freestyle test?

2) out of skaters who pass the intermediate freestyle test, what percentage passes the senior freestyle test?

Any guesses? Since USFS membership is required to test, I am hoping it's *slightly* easier to find out than say, figuring out what percentage of high school basketball players eventually make it to NBA? :D

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 04:12:49 AM »

Just because you're in your 20s and aiming for seniors isn't that stupid an idea. I was watching Europeans and noted that I'm a similar age as Sinead Kerr (she's over 30). OK, she's way better than me, but had I started training earlier in my 20s, I could be getting up the test system faster.

If you did manage to get to the senior levels, there's nothing to stop you competing. OK you might not place well, but at least you'll have got out there to compete.

Offline phoenix

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 74
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 12:06:59 PM »
I actually wonder if there are guesstimates or stats on the following:

1) out of skaters who pass the preliminary freestyle test, what percentage eventually manages to pass the intermediate freestyle test?

2) out of skaters who pass the intermediate freestyle test, what percentage passes the senior freestyle test?

I believe I heard once that of all the skaters who enroll in Basic Skills / learn to skate classes, 1% will go on to test pre-pre moves.

And I think I've also heard of the ones who get through pre-pre moves, 5% of those will get through senior (but that seems like a low number to me.)

Offline davincisop

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 01:15:07 PM »
You are right about testing faster. I skated when I was younger but quit after a few years and started back up two years ago and started taking lessons back in July. I passed pre bronze moves abd freestyle in november and I'm testing bronze moves at the end of this month (not sure about freestyle yet)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 02:37:33 PM »
Thank you Phoenix! Initially I thought 1% from LTS to pre-pre is extremely low, then realized it's the population that isn't quite "hooked" or just take lessons for fun without the intention to test / compete (myself included).

If the skater is at intermediate (axel and one double), that shows talent and determination already. What are the odds to obtain the jumps up to double lutz in order to make it to senior freestyle test? I am thinking with high school age skaters timing is a huge factor, as many quit skating when they go to college.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 08:02:45 PM »
Adults can learn to skate well too.

As far as I know, my former coach, Barbara,
  http://www.icedancepro.com/mainindex.html
  http://www.skatequest.com/ourcoaches_figure.html

did all or most of her competing after age 30 or so, though I don't know her exact age.

I believe she tested standard track, and also did well at USFSA and ISU Adult competitions.

Last I knew, she had lots of students, and is an excellent coach.

Granted, she hasn't gone to standard track Nationals, AFAIK, but it shows that adults can learn things too.

On the freestyle side, I've heard some people do triple jumps at USFSA Adult Nationals.

If we take these as "typical" adult examples, you should very soon be doing these sort of things, with just a itsy bitsy teensy weeny bit of work.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 09:52:36 PM »
Query, do you know if Barbara started skating as a kid or an adult? From her webpage she tested up to novice (double salchow, double toe, double loop), which is a great achievement if she started as an adult.

Do coaches who grew up skating usually have junior or senior test under their belt? Sorry I really have no clue. My guess is technically most were capable of them but did not test up to stay competitive? Such a discrepancy between competition level and test level!

Triple jumps at Adult Nationals generally come from skaters who skated competitively as children though. Far from typical for an average adult skater.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 05:35:41 PM »
Query, do you know if Barbara started skating as a kid or an adult?

Don't know. Ask her. Think she said she didn't get serious until she was an adult.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2011, 07:48:19 AM »
BTW, Masters level tests (age 50+) exist too, for Dance and Moves in the Field.

The Test Book

http://usfsa.org/Content/2010-11%20Tests%20Book.pdf

has a lot of these rules and is somewhat easier to read than The RuleBook.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2011, 02:19:46 PM »
But the Tests Book is for tests, not competitions.  The OP asked about competititions, so for that, you need to check the Rulebook, regardless of how difficult it is to read. 

I just use the PDF version and search for the phrase I need to find. 
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright