You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Bowie, MD - new adult synchro team  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Bowie, MD - new adult synchro team
« on: October 25, 2011, 11:55:19 AM »
Hope I've got the right forum. This isn't on the same level with the other events announced here!

Bowie has started up group lessons to teach skills for the ISI adult synchro team they will form. They are only requiring about ISI delta level skating, though the coach is trying out a simple outside Mohawk sequence. She'll drop any skills the members can't learn to do.

I like the idea of skating at a level where the moves themselves present no great challenge to add to the difficulties of skating in formation. Shows and competitions will be with local rinks, so travel will be cheap. About the cost of normal group lesson classes. Coach promises no last minute changes to the routine, no expensive costumes or tights (maybe just "wear black"). No auditions. In other words, a nice low pressure introduction.

In every respect this is different from the other time I tried to join a synchro team, one which took competition much more seriously. So far there are 7 - 10 gals, and me. The class has already started, but they are looking for more skaters to join.

Next Saturday (11:00 AM) will be the start of a mini-session, so you won't lose money on sessions not skated if you start then, though you may have to join a couple days ahead so you don't pay a late fee.

Someone said Kettler is also having a synchro skills class, at a more advanced level; I don't know details, but it might be related to the Capitol Steps Synchro team, one of several Nationally competitive teams in the DC Metro area.

I would assume the other rinks that this team will compete with, like Wells and I think Piney, may have classes too.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Bowie, MD - new adult synchro team
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 05:14:41 PM »
More people please!

At this point we still only have 8 skaters - barely enough to qualify.

It probably wouldn't hurt to have more people! It costs $95 for each group of 7 weekly sessions - $13.57/week, much less than the more seriously competitive local USFSA synchro teams, and a lot easier to get into. A lot less than private lessons.

They've dropped the outside Mohawk, at least for now. We've got forward strokes, one foot backwards glides, forward and backwards half-swizzle pushes, two foot turns, and pivots. There is nothing a student working on ISI Gamma or USFSA BS III would have much trouble doing. We may add more things, of about the same level. The only hard part is skating in rhythm and formation with other people. It feels very safe.

We have a range of skating abilities, including adults who haven't skated for years, and people who have skated on more advanced synchro teams.

Some people say Bowie has the best and cleanest ice in the DC metro area. It's a great place. It has a snack bar, a heated lobby, rest rooms, nearby restaurants and shopping centers, and WIFI. If you come with family they can take other lessons at the same time, or in adjoining time slots. There are also freestyle sessions in the morning, and a public session at 1:00 PM.

It's a nice friendly adult group.
Please come!