You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Kids on Ice -- Reality TV Show  (Read 9378 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Kids on Ice -- Reality TV Show
« on: September 20, 2011, 11:01:41 AM »
Saw this on Stephaniesspin.wordpress.com: http://stephaniesspin.wordpress.com/2011/09/14/if-ice-kids-is-anything-like-dance-moms-i-will-be-the-happiest-person-ever/

“Casting KIDS ON ICE for Lifetime!
 Seeking young ice skaters for new series

Los Angeles, CA. – September 12, 2011, – Collins Avenue is seeking kids (ages 6-13) and their moms, along with their coach(es), who are serious about competing and winning ice skating competitions. Moms or Dads must be actively involved in helping their kids train and prepare for each competition. It must be a top priority for these families but it doesn’t have to be their only interest. Collins Avenue is seeking families and coaches with strong personalities, talent, passion and the desire to win! This is a very short casting process so please submit NOW!

If you or anyone you know are interested in this TV project, please email lschwartz@collinsave.com or kdrakes@collinsave.com the following info:

•    Name of ice skating club and ice skating instructor (be sure this is in the subject line of your email)
 •    Name and age of skater
 •    Parents name
 •    Phone number, email and state of residence
 •    Picture of skater, mom, dad and coach
 •    Brief description of family, level of talent, interest, hobbies, parent’s occupations
 •    List awards and accomplishments
 •    Describe your relationship with your coach (in a few sentences please)
 •    YOU MUST INCLUDE A PICTURE OF THE SKATER, COACH and PARENTS

Again, this is short casting process — please help spread the word for Kids On Ice!”
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: Kids on Ice -- Reality TV Show
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 11:02:40 AM »
I know that my family would not do this - we're too thin-skinned and we yell at each a lot, lol.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 02:24:09 PM »
If I were the parent of a participant, I would worry that such a show would hurt the child's enjoyment. I also worry that participants and families might later wish to have kept some things more private than the show's producers will choose.

Would being televised in a skating context affect a USFSA skater's future eligibility to compete? (I assume USFSA hasn't sanctioned this, but could be wrong.)

Could the PSA sanction a coach as abusive as the Dance teacher in Dance Moms? See

http://www.skatepsa.com/Tenets-of-Professionalism.htm

--

Incidentally, "Kids on Ice" is also the name of a charity-supported USFSA LTS program for kids 18 and under at Fort Dupont Ice Arena, in Washington, DC., which, BTW, has a new skating director.

The Fort Dupont KOI is nothing at all like Dance Moms. There is a moderately thick plastic shield between the ice rink and the parent's area, that it is hard for parents to be heard through (great idea!). if parents do complain, the skating director could offer a full refund - it's free. ;D

But I will email that KOI skating director a copy of this notice, just for laughs.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 03:08:32 PM »
The sanctioning question is a good one, and something I wondered about, too.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 03:10:29 PM »
No way USFS will sanction a show that you can tell is going to be a trainwreck even before it happened!

Does anyone remember if the MADE show on MTV was taped at USFS or ISI competitions? (I think there have been at least 2 skaters, a girl and a boy, maybe a few more).  That show is more about achieving goals with a little bit of drama though, this one seems soley about drama.

It seems like they will HAVE to tape at competitions for this to be even a little interesting, but I can't even see ISI wanting to touch this with a ten foot pole.  How will they get permission to tape anywhere?

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 06:54:51 PM »
I think reality shows are just sad. I can't watch more than 10 minutes of one before my 1950's upbringing recoils in horror. And I grew up back stage in opera. I've seen real Divas. Who had real talent.

Ooooh, back stage at the Opera. now THERE'S a reality show I would watch.

As for skittl's comment, I think USFSA and ISI are probably reacting in horror.  Although to be blunt, USFSA is so tone deaf when it comes to PR, you can never tell.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 09:11:31 PM »
The USFSA Eastern Section facebook page has this advisement:

Information for skaters considering participating in skating reality show.
by USFS Eastern Section on Tuesday, September 20, 2011 at 8:13pm

Many of you have probably heard that one or more production companies are looking to create a new skating reality show. Whether any skater chooses to participate is up to the individual skater.  Please do some research as you make your decision.  For example, one of the companies has created shows that, in our opinion, do not always paint the participants in a flattering light.  These shows include "Dance Moms," "Bridezillas," and  "Outrageous Kid Parties."

More important, skaters participating in the show must obtain a sanction from U.S. Figure Skating in advance or risk losing their eligibility.  Please review the Sanctions Primer issued by U.S. Figure Skating available at this link: http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/SANCTIONSPRIMER.pdf.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/notes/usfs-eastern-section/information-for-skaters-considering-participating-in-skating-reality-show/273766189314058
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 09:18:42 AM »
Ha ha!  I live in the area but wouldn't qualify - the only real involvement I have in her training is paying bills, driving, and making sure she has equipment.  I can't tell most jumps apart still!  It wouldn't be fun if I tried to be her "second" coach.  I play "cheerleader" much better!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 09:21:05 AM »
Ha ha!  I live in the area but wouldn't qualify - the only real involvement I have in her training is paying bills, driving, and making sure she has equipment.  I can't tell most jumps apart still!  It wouldn't be fun if I tried to be her "second" coach.  I play "cheerleader" much better!

I think not knowing anything about it makes you a better candidate.  But you would have to start standing at the door and yelling at her what to do next.  Also, you'll need to learn her program, so you can "skate" it from off ice- really just the arms and the facial expressions will do.

Also a good one (that I saw yesterday) is to stretch your child and have them practice specific moves off ice in a way that in no way benefits the move (one mom was having son do shoot the duck positions while resting his weight in her hands (she was holding under his bottom), if he did that on ice he'd immediatly fall backwards)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 09:31:59 AM »
The USFSA Eastern Section facebook page has this advisement:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/notes/usfs-eastern-section/information-for-skaters-considering-participating-in-skating-reality-show/273766189314058

If the show isn't a competition, there isn't really any issue with eligibility. The problem with shows like Dancing on Ice is that it is a competition and it isn't properly sanctioned. A TV documentary doesn't really have these issues (or have I misunderstood what the TV show is about?). There are issues with eligibility in that forms documenting earnings from skating need to be completed (I believe this is an ISU thing and not just a NISA one).

But I agree you need to be pretty thick skinned to want to appear on one of these shows. Very few people come out of them looking like they're "normal".   

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 09:35:29 AM »
Even non-competitions matter when it comes to eligibility.  If a skater participates in this and does not get a sanction, they very well could lose their eligibility.  I guess that facebook posts means the USFS intends to grant them- but i'm still baffled as to why competitions would allow this show to tape at them.

A local (low level) synchro team got a warning for skating at half-time of a hockey game without a sanction.  Thankfully, the team was not punished, but I think the board of directors fired the coach for the oversite.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 10:17:46 AM »
Even non-competitions matter when it comes to eligibility.  If a skater participates in this and does not get a sanction, they very well could lose their eligibility.  I guess that facebook posts means the USFS intends to grant them- but i'm still baffled as to why competitions would allow this show to tape at them.

A local (low level) synchro team got a warning for skating at half-time of a hockey game without a sanction.  Thankfully, the team was not punished, but I think the board of directors fired the coach for the oversite.

My understanding is that performances need to be sanctions (like your synchro example) but if they're filming skaters practicing and attending competitions (which are properly sanctioned), there really isn't much to be sanctioned (unless they're going to claim that someone's practice is actually a performance?). Although, it is always prudent to ensure the national association is aware of what you're doing.

Offline tazsk8s

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 02:05:39 PM »
Oh wow...I can only imagine how some of these people are going to be portrayed.  If this had come up 10 years ago when my daughter was competing, we had a couple of rink moms that I would have nominated.  One in particular...sat in the upstairs lobby of the rink (because she'd been banned from the stands by her daughter's coaches) making elaborate hand signals as to what the daughter should be doing next.  Same woman would routinely make her kid practice when ill...I won't ever forget the time when the kid had a stomach bug, kept bolting from the ice every 10-15 minutes to run to the bathroom and barf, and here's Mama yelling at her to get back on the ice NOW.  (Meanwhile the rest of us were alternating between feeling extremely sorry for the kid, and hoping that whatever she had wasn't contagious but just something bad she'd eaten.)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 09:27:03 AM »
Not all reality shows have done bad things for participants. "So You Think You Can Dance" is mostly positive and upbeat, and probably helps participants (dancers, judges and choreographers) earn employment or dance academy admission. Perhaps USFSA officials would like to be convinced that the show would be similarly upbeat.

Isn't the show by the producers of Dance Mom's, and likely to be in that same vein?  Based on the fact that they want "actively involved parents" that tells me they aren't planning on mimicing SYTYCD for ice skaters.    I fully expect this show to be a trainwreck.

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 01:38:25 PM »
My club received an e-mail invitation for someone (not the person cited in the original post) for something similar.  We have declined to partcipate because none of our coaches, skaters and parents are "colorful."  :) 

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 11:20:42 PM »
My club received an e-mail invitation for someone (not the person cited in the original post) for something similar.  We have declined to partcipate because none of our coaches, skaters and parents are "colorful."  :) 

Our club has received a more than one inquiry from a couple different production companies.  We got one just last week that was looking for "colorful" parents.    One of the coaches jokingly said she would let parents yell at her if the price was right.  We were all wondering how much they are paying the participants.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 12:32:10 AM »
We got one just last week that was looking for "colorful" parents.   

I wonder how will parents / coaches respond if they are approached because of being considered "colorful" by club management...

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 01:28:02 PM »
The sanctioning question is a good one, and something I wondered about, too.

A sanction IS required... THIS what be what that note was about from USFS that I saw on FB-- I saw it throught a synchro post

That said, I cannot see my dd's coaches looking kindly on this, participating in it in any way, I am sure the parents will end up being portrayed in a terrible light and if your kid really IS serious about competition, this would put a bullet in that IMO

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 01:30:16 PM »

I know alot about it, but refrain from coaching her in anyway (except maybe morale coach)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2011, 02:34:46 PM »
Tanya Harding could be one of the coaches. She's reportedly coaching, but I don't think she's a member of PSA or USFSA so sanctions couldn't matter anymore.   :D
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2011, 03:09:26 PM »
Tanya Harding could be one of the coaches. She's reportedly coaching, but I don't think she's a member of PSA or USFSA so sanctions couldn't matter anymore.   :D

But they want to be able to film at competitions...(at least the announcements sure makes it sound that way). Can Tonya be at ISI competitions?
Based on the list you have to post at all USFS competitions, it sounds like she's not even allowed in the building as a spectator.