You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Adult Track to Standard Track Questions  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
Adult Track to Standard Track Questions
« on: March 20, 2012, 02:38:33 PM »
Anyone here know if an Adult can test standard track and how you'd go about doing that.  I've already tested Pre-B MIF/FS and was working on B MIF, but I'm not taking them because the competition rules for Adult Track... I'd rather quit than waste more money taking those tests...  Don't care about winning.  I only compete with myself and I certainly wouldn't have fun competing with those rules.

So, how would I go about switching.  Can I just forget about the tests I took and just start over?  Possibly take 4 tests in standard track to catch up or something without mentioning it at all?

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Adult Track to Standard Track Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 03:02:39 PM »
You can take any tests you want, as long as you've fulfilled the pre-requisites.  You just register for the standard-track tests.  I took my standard-track tests as an adult.

A skater who has tested through Adult Pre-Bronze MIF/FS can enter a Pre-Bronze or Bronze event.  The same is true of a skater who has tested through Pre-Preliminary.  So, pass the Pre-Preliminary MITF/FS tests and you'll be all set.

Just be aware that most skaters in Pre-Preliminary free skate events are doing axels.  (Not in the Test Track or restricted events; in the standard Pre-Prel free skate event.)
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 04:35:30 PM »
If you'd like to test standard track versus adult, there's nothing stopping you. Even though you've passed APB and freeskate, the requirements are slightly different for Pre-preliminary (I know USFS just added spirals to APB MITF, so less different now) so you can start from square one.

But, I'm curious: if you're only competing against yourself, why do you object to the competition/program requirements for adults? What difference would it make if you tested standard track?

Interestingly, your objections echo what I hear about ISI tests and competitions (or at least before ISI introduced the open categories).

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 06:13:04 PM »
If you'd like to test standard track versus adult, there's nothing stopping you. Even though you've passed APB and freeskate, the requirements are slightly different for Pre-preliminary (I know USFS just added spirals to APB MITF, so less different now) so you can start from square one.

But, I'm curious: if you're only competing against yourself, why do you object to the competition/program requirements for adults? What difference would it make if you tested standard track?

Interestingly, your objections echo what I hear about ISI tests and competitions (or at least before ISI introduced the open categories).
Too many restrictions on Free Skating elements at the lower Adult levels, especially jumps.  That makes it unfun and a waste of time/money to continue going down that route - personally.

I can always switch back later, but right now it's not something I can deal with...