You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Jackson Classique or Riedell 133 for an Adult returning to skating?  (Read 8169 times)

Offline justamoose

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 0
Hi! I am a 26 year old woman (115 lbs, ish), who is returning to skating after 15 years. I was doing backwards crossovers, and learning 3 turns and shoot the duck when I had to stop. I'm looking at getting back into it, and of course, I need new skates since my old ones don't fit.
I'm looking at the Jackson Classique and the Riedell 133 Diamond. I'm fairly light, and my feet are narrow, and I know I have to get used to the ice again. I'm sure I would barely be able to stroke forward. Am I over-booting? I tried on the Classique last week, but they felt really stiff around my ankle. Maybe that's how it's supposed to be though, before being broken in? I'm trying on Riedell's in a few days to compare. But I wanted some opinions before I actually made a purchase. The next round of lessons starts in a couple of months, so I might sign up to actually start progressing from where I was, but first I'd like to get comfortable on the ice again, without the awkwardness of rentals.

Opinions?

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
Re: Jackson Classique or Riedell 133 for an Adult returning to skating?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 08:19:48 PM »
I can't say anything about the Riedells, or which brand would work better for you, but I've got the Classiques and they've been fine for me so far.  (Except that they're actually a bit too big and may need the right blade adjusted or shimmed, but that's a whole 'nother story.)  I'm working on ISI beta/gamma or USFSA Adult 3 or 4 skills, so I'm at a roughly comparable level to where you were.  Do you have a fitter or coach that you could ask for advice, though?

Offline justamoose

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 08:27:46 PM »
I was fitted in Jackson Classique's last week, but they felt stiff. Like I said, I'm not really sure how they should feel though.

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
Jackson Classique or Riedell 133 for an Adult returning to skating?
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 01:13:18 AM »
Hi, and welcome! I returned to skating last year when I was also 26, after close to 15 years away too :)

I actually started last year in 133s before discovering I was wearing the wrong size. When I was fitted, I tried on both riedells and jacksons and found riedell to be more comfortable for my feet. I do have narrow feet that I think are skinny/bony feet haha. I'm in riedell's 255ts (not the current version, which I understand to be stiffer) and find that it took little to no time to break in and seems to offer enough support for me right now.

If it helps, I'm working on prebronze moves. Stiffness I think is one of those things that will be hard to judge, but all new skates will feel a bit stiff at first. i think If you searched the forum too, you'd find a number of skaters here who have had classiques or even started off with them.

Offline jlspink22

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 08:10:01 AM »
I would suggest an all leather model - not the one's with the plastic soles. That would give you the Elle/Freestyle or Riedell 223 Stride. This way, you can upgrade the blades if you need to, heat mold them, have them punched out if they pinch etc. The coated skates generally have no real options to do these things. You will save yourself money in the long run.

Offline tammyk

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 09:21:15 AM »
I don't think the Jackson Classique would be too stiff for you. I just purchased the Jackson Freestyle two weeks ago. I can't even pass prealpha yet, and I don't find it too stiff. I'm 5'4'' and around 125 pounds. The only other skate I've used is a Riedell 119 Emerald.

I also vote for a non-pvc sole if you can so that the blade can me moved if needed. That is part of the reason why I had to switch from the Riedell 119s even though they were brand new. Another reason to consider the Freestyle instead of the Classique is that it comes in a narrow. I also have a narrow foot and narrower heel, and the narrow width with heat molding seems to be working for me.

Good luck!

Offline MKG93

• MITF Adult track Pre-Bronze
  • Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 02:28:05 PM »
I've recently had both Riedell 133 and the Jackson Classique. I'm 5'5" and weigh 130, doing Moves in the Field and I have a narrow foot. I thought the Riedell felt stiffer than the Classique. The padding is different too. The Classique has memory foam, which I like better. But the real difference was the way they pad the inside around the heel area. The Classique has a lot more padding just above the heel which keeps my heel in place, whereas the Riedell, though a narrower boot, didn't and I was getting a lot of heel lift inside the boot.

I also like the Mirage blade better than the Riedell Capri stock blade. There's only a very slight difference but I think I get better edges with the Mirage. The rocker is different also.

My only regret is the pvc sole on the Classique. Thankfully I have no blade issues that require moving blades, so I'm good for now.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 12:53:32 AM »
if you skated before I'd suggest going right for the Freestyles - the Classique really won't hold up very long to real skating. It's more of a recreational level boot and meant more for occasional use.  The Elle could be a good option since they are really the only all-leather boot at their price point, but I wouldn't expect them to hold up very long once you are jumping.

Same with the Riedell 133 - every adult I know who has purchased that model has needed to upgrade relatively quickly - while the very same boot can often be far too stiff for a smaller/younger skater, they don't seem to last long for bigger/stronger skaters.  The 229's or 255's do seem to be better for a lower level adult even though they are both "rated" for higher levels.

Most adults can get away with a bit "more" boot than would be suggested for a child because you are not only bigger, but typically stronger as well - because of this, it would be difficult to be overbooted in something like Freestyles as an adult, no matter what your skill level - just be sure that whatever skates you buy are fit correctly.

Offline justamoose

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 09:52:47 PM »
So I went and got fitted by the Riedell fitter. It turns out my feet are so narrow, they require a custom fit to truly be able to match my feet! Which is definitely not worth it considering my level. The fitter said that Jacksons are completely out for me, and that my only option was really Riedell. Her suggestion was the Riedell 229 Edge. That seems a bit high level for me, but I assume she knows what she's doing.

Does anyone have experience with the Riedell 229? And is it overbooting?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 11:12:13 PM »
You should be fine with the 229's - while technically a low level freestyle set, they will be fine for a lower level adult - I wouldn't worry that you are overbooted.

You will know if the width is going to be an issue once you get to jumps - if your heel is slipping, you will be very aware of it.  At that point custom boots may be your only solution, and it's up to you to decide if that expense is going to be worth it or not - custom boots are not "just" for high level skaters - they can be made for skaters at any level, if you have sizing or fit issues that prevent you from being able to wear a stock boot.

Offline skatemom189

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 02:47:29 AM »
I would like to politely disagree with your fitter.  Risport skates are made significantly more narrow than Riedell, and may be a good option for you.  My daughter couldn't be fitted into a Riedell but wears a stock Risport (the Lux).  The RF light, or the RF3 if you want a stronger boot, would be the models to look at for your level.

https://www.kinziescloset.com/risport-figure-skates.html

Offline justamoose

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 06:03:07 PM »
Interesting. I'll have to ask her, since I have another appointment. I know she was also trying to save me some money. When I tried on the Riedells, they felt pretty good. Of course, that was after trying on the Jacksons, which did not fit my feet at all. So maybe they just felt good after comparing those two.

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 06:11:47 PM »
You might need to visit a different pro shop to try on the Risport - it's quite likely that the reason you weren't suggested them is that the shop you visited doesn't carry them.  I agree with skyler189 - Risports are known (around here at least) to be a very narrow cut.

Offline justamoose

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 09:21:29 PM »
Skate fitting is in one week! I talked to the fitter, and she does carry Risport. I'll have to ask her when I go to see what she thinks.

Offline HelenParr

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 07:47:29 AM »
Regarding Risport being narrow, it's just the lower level boots like Etoile, Antares and Venus that come in one (narrow) last. The Lux actually only comes in wide C width which is exactly the same as Riedell wide.

I think if you're looking for a low to mid level boot in a narrow last, Riedell is your best bet.

Offline justamoose

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 09:49:10 AM »
I got fitted for a Riedell 229 in a narrow width. It fits my feet perfectly! I skated in them yesterday, and they felt like they were part of my feet! Until that new skate breaking in pain slowly crept up on me.... Now for the breaking in process.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2015, 10:13:51 AM »
Yay!  Good luck with the breaking in process!

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2015, 12:28:28 PM »
Regarding Risport being narrow, it's just the lower level boots like Etoile, Antares and Venus that come in one (narrow) last. The Lux actually only comes in wide C width which is exactly the same as Riedell wide.

I think if you're looking for a low to mid level boot in a narrow last, Riedell is your best bet.

Just a quickie on the Risport.  I wear the Dance model, which although is not a low level boot, comes in only one width: C, which is pretty narrow for a C.  The last is closer to that of Riedell than it is to Jackson.  I have similar fit problems (great in the heel, too tight in the front) with these boots that I have always had with Riedells.  Thank goodness split widths are available now!!!  Although I don't know if you can order Risports like that.