You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Hospitality ideas?  (Read 5142 times)

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
Hospitality ideas?
« on: February 19, 2015, 06:40:26 PM »
The competition at my home rink is going to begin in the afternoon and run through late evening.  I'm trying to think of something to bring that would be nice for the late afternoon or post-dinner snack.  Anyone have any favorites from past experience?

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
Re: Hospitality ideas?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 07:18:26 PM »
Go to Costco.
- A crockpot with Costco soup, like the basil tomato.
- Costco pre-made platters like the sandwich platter.
- hand warmers for the judges.
- water boiler for making hot tea & a coffee pot
- to go coffee cups, plates, and ladles.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 07:21:20 PM »
Hummus and pita bread with carrots and celery for dipping.  An easy, healthy and balanced snack! :)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 07:50:56 PM »
Fruit plate.

Cheese sticks. You can get them in huge bags at costco. People are going to need protein.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 07:56:30 PM »
Go to Costco.
- A crockpot with Costco soup, like the basil tomato.
- Costco pre-made platters like the sandwich platter.
- hand warmers for the judges.
- water boiler for making hot tea & a coffee pot
- to go coffee cups, plates, and ladles.

This - a warming soup or stew is always appreciated at our events.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 10:48:40 PM »
The more "real" food on the table the better - it is okay to have some sweets but some people go overboard with the processed cheese and sweets - cookies and danish and on and on.

Warm foods.  Also don't forget the decaf coffee and tea especially with afternoon and evening events.

I like the hummus and veggies and dip idea.
Hot soup. 

The best hospitality was when some of the parents owned or worked for Chinese restaurants and would just bring in big hotel pans full of rice and then curries, chicken, etc.  Yum!!

Also Indian food is very warming.

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 11:50:52 PM »
Lots of good ideas!  Woohoo!

I was trying to figure out what would go in the crockpot.  I can definitely see doing some soup or stew.  Maybe with some sliced baguette or seasoned crackers on the side.

I agree on the cookies and sugary snacks.  As much as I love baked goods (which I'll probably throw in as well), I wanted to get something with a bit more substance, and someone has already signed up for a deli tray.  I'll probably take in a few different things since we'll have one setup for judges and one for coaches.

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 04:07:26 AM »
We tend to have a BBQ in the late afternoon and charge around 5 to 7 Euros for things like soup, salad, some bread and two pieces of meat per person. This also helps off set some of the cost of the competition.

As for the crockpot, you could always do a chili of some sort, warm food is always appreciated.
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 04:09:52 AM »
Is this for the judges'/tech panel's table?

Here's some guidelines based on some personal experience:

- nothing greasy, especially if touch-screens are in play.
- nothing crumbling or crumb-y - no-one else in the earphones wants to hear you choking on that biscuit no matter how yummy.
- small, bite-sized pieces; anything that needs two hands to handle is a no, and often the judges/tech panel will be grabbing things between skaters, when there's not really a lot of time.
- try to avoid getting too "gourmet" - some will like gourmet, some won't, and you'll end up with some of them not eating anything.
- thermos mugs are great for putting hot chocolate/tea/coffee in, but also SOUP! homemade kinds especially. Not chunky, but delicious, and being warm, helps.
- the red snakes/jelly babies will go first. Make sure plenty are available.  ;) I've also sat on panels where the musk sticks were devoured with indecent haste.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 12:37:16 PM »
You neglected to say whether this is for you as an athlete, or for the general public or skating officials. Athletes have special needs.

Assuming you are bringing to share, I belong to a kayak club where we often bring food to share after the paddle. Contrary to my assumptions about athletic people wanting to eat healthy well balanced meals, my observations have been:

1. Healthy food will be ignored. Completely.

2. People trust food that they recognize.

3. (Non-messy) finger foods are best! People hate using silverware. Besides, some people use the silverware and toothpicks that they ate with to pick up food from the community plate - Yuk!.

4. People love meat.

5. People love sandwiches.

6. People compliment good home-made bread. Bread must be pre-sliced. (See rule 3.)

7. Some cherry tomatoes, green seedless grapes and pickles are good - but don't rely on them for everyone.

8. Chips and cookies are popular. But Karne's crunchy food rule rules them out.

9. Some people can't be in the same room with nuts. Just say no. (Sigh.) While you are at it, don't use any ingredients that aren't immediately obvious from appearance.

10. Some people are vegan. Bring enough rabbit food in case others eat some too.

11. Pizza is overwhelmingly the most popular food. (Why??? It violate a lot of the other rules.) Must be completely pre-sliced. For Karne's crunchy food rule, don't use crispy crust.

12. Things to drink. A variety of soda, fruit drinks, wine, and beer appeals best, but alcohol may be inappropriate depending on context.

13. Stuff will spill. Bring napkins and clean up materials.

Good luck.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 02:55:49 PM »

1. Healthy food will be ignored. Completely.

4. People love meat.

5. People love sandwiches.

To some extent it depends on what part of the country you're in, but these are generalizations that no longer apply to a lot of adults these days, especially middle aged adults who are having to be more health conscious.  Hospitality food is for the judges and other skating officials at the competition, all of whom are adults, and some of whom will be vegetarian and/or not eat bread.  I am a competition announcer and am one of many people I know who no longer eat meat or bread.  I eat dairy, but an increasing number of people no longer eat dairy, either.  This is why I would bring something like veggies and hummus (with pita for those who do want bread).

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 03:32:35 PM »
I totally agree with Doubletoe - if there is nothing fresh or healthy on the table I will still eat it - and usually feel horrible after a test session or competition -

If there is relatively good food on the table I will eat it and feel mostly just tired after a test session or competition. 

And no, I don't have any discipline  ::>)  .  I was gluten-free for a while and that helped because I would just summarily not eat anything on the table that had gluten in it but then sometimes there was nothing else to eat.  I would bring my own food to certain places because I know that they would get notoriously bad food - I know they try hard and there is a budget but really - would you put that food into your athlete's body (and yes, some of us on the judging panel, etc. are still athletes).

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 04:34:56 PM »
This is for the judges/coaches hospitality (and maybe volunteers?)

I've been taste-testing some soups, and think I might go with an organic roasted red pepper tomato that comes in a nice "pour and heat" box.  Starting at room temp means I won't have to warm as long.

I'm also thinking of making some gougeres for dipping or snacking.

Still working on deciding other finger foods.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 05:02:06 PM »
See rule 10: "Some people are vegan." But what fraction of the judging panel tend to eat veggies and otherwise "healthy" food? Am I right that majority aren't happy with that alone?

BTW, another popular and simple food is chile - but to make everyone happy, you need one pot with meat, and one without.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 05:05:25 PM »
I have always done meatballs in a crockpot. Both for judging panels when I was the test chair and for the volunteer hospitality room. Always very popular (first thing to go). I provided a small bowl and toothpicks.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 09:21:30 PM »
Those organic boxed soups are very good - but it is true that is hard to please everyone.

So a variety of foods is good but really don't go too heavy on the sweets!

I also like chili and that meatball idea sounds very nice!  Who doesn't love a good meatball? (Oh except for the vegetarians and vegans among us.

Some of the test chairs occasionally will send out a survey to the judges and officials asking about their food preferences and dietary needs.  The good ones take these into consideration when planning the menu.  I really appreciated this especially when I was on a gluten-free diet!

And if your event is later in the day decaf coffee and tea are also appreciated.

Offline karne

• On the Edge
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 02:15:45 AM »
Can I add a suggestion that I don't think spicy foods are a good idea? They upset some people's stomachs and some people can't tolerate even low levels of spice.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 05:32:18 AM »
Wow, this thread is bringing back memories!  One of the girls I used to skate with is half Thai.  Her mom would bring in what must have been the most delicious food on test/competition days.  It violates most of the rules and suggestions previously posted, but the smells emanating from the pro-room (=judge haven) were just tantalizing.  Another mother would always bring cheesecake.  Also a no-no these days, I guess (although I have a vegan, gluten and sugar free recipe that's AWESOME!  Fools my husband mwahahahaha).  But we skaters would all hope and pray there would be something left over.  Never was......

I often make maki rolls when I need a table full of finger good.  You can put pretty much anything in the middle, but I usually go for gingered carrots, cucumbers, lox and japanese style omelets.  Not all at once.  Look at your local sushi restaurant for more inspiration.  After living in Hawai'i for two years I will also admit with pride to a love for Spam Musubi.  Made small enough that would work too for finger food. 

Mini (or not) muffins might also be good, and these can easily be adapted to various diets.  I like millet and fig, and have recipe for apricot and something else that needs trying.  Happy to share sources, if you want.

Roasted chick peas? They're not nuts, and don't make crumbs.   

Tea sandwiches could work, and you can accommodate all diets there, too.  If you need it, I think decent gluten free bread is more easily available stateside than it is over here.

The roasted red pepper and tomato soup sounds goooooooood. 

Good luck!

Offline karne

• On the Edge
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 05:58:57 AM »
Mini (or not) muffins might also be good, and these can easily be adapted to various diets. 

MINI CUPCAKES ARE AMAZING.

I wanted to add, my suggestions are based purely on experience as part of small comp panels where the panel takes their seats at the start of the comp and leaves their seats at the end of the comp. Thus, the food must be brought to them and is on the table with them.

At bigger comps where the judges and tech panels are rotating and there's a place for them to retreat and eat - go for your life. (I had the best homemade meat pies at one of these - ohmygod they had that gorgeous flaky buttery pastry and cheese and bacon bits and steak chunks and ohmygod I basically had to exercise a great deal of self-restraint to avoid looking like Pacman.  ;D)

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 09:47:10 PM »
Can I add a suggestion that I don't think spicy foods are a good idea? They upset some people's stomachs and some people can't tolerate even low levels of spice.
I was going to say something similar. Also, judges tend to be out on panels for a WHILE without breaks, so if there is a judge with gastrointestinal issues from spicy food, it could be very unpleasant for that individual.  If you are going organic soup in a box, stick to more basic flavors.   

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 11:50:59 PM »
If you go with soup, I have a pretty yummie recipe, that's easy to throw together (and can be mixed up some, to fit personal taste)
1qrt of stock. I generally use sodium free chicken stock, but beef works, or vegetable.
1 envelop of Knorr soup mix vegetable. (I have used leek as well)
2 cans of great northern beans (I have used anything bean, as well as dry ones, about a half a pack, pre-soaked equals the 2 cans)
1 pack (it used to be a pound, but hidden inflation...) of frozen turnip greens. While you can play around wit it, I found that collards did not work well....
1 pack of smoked sausage (again, used to be a pound, but eh...) I have used other kinds of meat, including lunch meats or left it out all together.

I also add about 2 cups of water, to cut the salt, since the broth as well as the soup seasoning contains plenty.

of course, chili....can't go wrong with that when it's cold.
:blush: ~ I should be writing~ :blush: